Who smokes a pipe here?

For those who smoke aromatics, what is your favorite?

I smoke a local brand "Isle of Skye" almost exclusively. It is interesting how it smokes differently in various pipes. Always good though.

M.

bump.
I have a handmade churchwarden but got Mr Brugs (whatever) mini to have in a pocket just in case I get a long break at work. Well, it turns out that I use the mini a lot. Now I'm waiting on a little $15 ukrainian mini to arrive (off feebay). Given the geopol sitrep, it may not arrive. If it does arrive quickly... the Putin push may have settled down. But summer is coming...

Have been enjoying the Briar since 1969, you do the math! here's a family photo of the pipes & one of the stash on hand for ageing
100_0854.jpg

100_1121.jpg

http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Old_Salt

Your den... well, now I know a new place to go when the stress therapist says to think of your happy place....

My favorite tobacco is 1-Q. Pretty basic cavendish with no (or little) bite and burns evenly.

I have quite a selection of pipes, but generally prefer a bent with a large bowl. Frankly, I don't know the different shapes unless I look them up. But I like a simple briar pipe.

I have no pictures unfortunately.
I have a new small meerschaum pipe I smoke occasionally, as well as an old briar Sherlock I've smoked for quite a few years now. I have never heard of that term before "snorking OJK". As long as I've known, I have known that as a "French inhale". Either way, I do French a hit or two when I feel like blowing some smoke rings. As far as tobacco goes, my personal favorite is Clove tobacco. I love the rich flavor and smell. It brings back warm memories for me of warm summer evenings with an old friend and smoking buddy of mine. I also love the way it crackles as it smolders in the bowl as you take a hit. Recently, I went on a search for some Clove tobacco and to my surprise nobody carried any loose for pipes. (only in cigarette form, dijarum black) I looked everywhere in town. Used to have a Tinder Box cigar shop at a local mall where I live at, but it went out of business years back. I miss it, there is nowhere in town where I can find clove tobacco anymore. After checking many local tobacco outlets and smoke shops in my area for clove tobacco, I decided to settle for some compressed navy brick tobacco that a local pipe/head shop was selling. It was pretty nice, I am glad I decided on it. I wish I could recall the name of it. If I can figure out where my camera is at I will post up some pictures of my tiny humble meerschaum pipe and my old briarwood pipe. Good to see others who smoke a pipe and not just cigarettes. I feel like I am the only one sometimes. :thumbup:

I smoke pipes. Latakia blends. Though I own and smoke briars, I can't stand breaking them in. Likely why I've enjoyed Randy Wiley pipes so much. Oil cured so less tanins and easier to break in. That said you'll more often than not find me smoking a cob. Missouri Meerschaum Legends specifically.

I've gotten myself down to six briars. Gave the rest away. Gotten to the point if I want another, I have to give one away first. Below are my briars --- three handmade pipes (two Wileys and a Tiepen), two factory pipes (a Nording and a Savinelli), and one a mix of both (Tiepen collaboration). Two haven't even been smoked. I just hate the nasty taste of breaking in briars.
Pipes%2520%28Feb%252013%29.jpg

When you break in a pipe for the first time, try rubbing a thin coat of honey on the inside of the bowl. It will make the first bowls sweet and also aid in resining up the inside of the bowl so it is broke in faster. Nice collection!

I too am a brother of briar. I was quite a pipe collector up until a few years ago when I had so many just collecting dust that I purged it down to about 20 pipes.

I tend to prefer Randy Wiley's, and in particular his rendition of bent Dublin's. I have a few English Ben Wade's as well as a handful of Savinelli machine-made's. I sold all but one of my Ardor's, those being the only one's I really regret selling.

As for tobacco, I'm a straight Virginia and occasional VaPer smoker. When I first started I smoked mostly latakia blends, mostly because I was introduced to Penzance very early and it was wonderful. Now my favorite is McClelland's Blackwoods Flake, followed by McClelland 1776, and in third McClelland's bulk Virginia Perique. I don't smoke anything latakia anymore, not even the penzance. Every once in awhile I'll pack a bowl of MacBarren's Mature Virginia, but I stick with the first three nearly always.

I will say that the McClelland Christmas blends of pure VA in recent years (2011 and 2013 specifically) have been fantastic and I have quite a few tins ageing.

Pics to come when I get back home.

When you break in a pipe for the first time, try rubbing a thin coat of honey on the inside of the bowl. It will make the first bowls sweet and also aid in resining up the inside of the bowl so it is broke in faster. Nice collection!
Honey will not take the tanins out of the briar, and the tanins are what taste so horrible when breaking in a briar. The tanins must come out and that's often by smoking. I'd rather most come out in the curing process prior to the briar being made into a pipe rather than smoking it out. The only real solution to reduce the tanins is a PROPERLY oil cured pipe, but so few pipe makers PROPERLY oil cure briar anymore if they oil cure at all. That's one of the reasons I prefer Randy Wiley's pipes --- properly oil cured briar. Proper oil curing is one of the things that once set Dunhills apart.

Since the pic above was posted I've given away the unsmoked Teipen collaboration and unsmoked Teipen bent sitter (the two in the upper left of the pic). I'm now back down to four briars. Two Wileys, one Nording, and one basket pipe (a Savinelli 310). Plenty to properly rotate and rest. I'm not a pipe collector but a tobak smoker. Believe it or not, the old Savinelli basket pipe, with so many fills Savinelli felt the need to grind off the maker's stamp, is the best smoker of the lot.

As for tobaks it's mostly Esoterica Penzance (have about 24 oz jarred from the 8 oz blister packs) and Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader (still have 8 50g tins) for me.

Last edited:
bump.
I have a handmade churchwarden but got Mr Brugs (whatever) mini to have in a pocket just in case I get a long break at work. Well, it turns out that I use the mini a lot. Now I'm waiting on a little $15 ukrainian mini to arrive (off feebay). Given the geopol sitrep, it may not arrive. If it does arrive quickly... the Putin push may have settled down. But summer is coming...

Been smoking the new mini at work, its good enough for $15. I was surprised how nice it presented. It arrived about a week back, so it took about 8 days to come from Ukraine. Whether it was east uk or west uk... I don't know.

Hello, everyone.
I just stumbled across this thread, and am glad I did.
My favorite pipe, for the moment anyway, is my Ascorti Business Hawkbill. It smokes like a dream. I prefer pipes with smaller bowls as I smoke a lot of flakes. Something I just recently got introduced to is Wessex Gold Brick, it's pretty damn fantastic.
I have quite a collection of pipes and tins, will have to share a pic or two after finals and my 4 week hiking class directly after that (gonna be serious fun).
I think it would be great if we could do some tin/pipe swapping, what do you all think?
Hit me up if you are interested.

I smoke a few bowls a week, and really dig hearth and home, and c&d tobaccos. I tend to smoke during my commute.

Used to smoke a pipe... Quit almost 2.5 years ago.

44VetIVj-no009WH5hMDoxOjBzMTu354

Back