Why are you so in to knives?

Aha...The old handcuff key along the watch band configuration. Another hardcore CM move. I like it.

Be cunning and full of tricks.

(When they catch you they will kill you, but first they must catch you.)

"Knives are art and their [sic] useful"
That sums it up for me. I like the whole aesthetics of them and using knives and tools while hiking, camping and bushcrafting is wonderful fun.

You know I have got that question quite often. Why knives? why so many? why that type? At the end of the day I find the best way to answer the question so that others will understand is to flip it back on them and their hobbies. If I just state my own reasons it usually ends with them shaking their head going "Whatever, I guess". But Ive had mostly women ask me about them. And all you really have to do is say, "shoes" or "purses" (if they are into such things of course. Not all women are) and they say, "ahh, I get it". Guys usually think they are cool up until they hear some of the prices. But really I find it to be a rather silly question. Why does anyone like anything? We just do. I cant explain it any more than I can explain why I like raspberry jam over strawberry.

It all started with Johnny Weismueller in the Tarzan flicks on Sunday afternoons, somehow being raised in the jungle and having a knife appealed to my sense of adventure and self reliance. Maybe it was a hero I was looking for growing up as a boy. Later, it was the thought of having a useful tool to accomplish a task, that is when the Swiss Army Knife or a Scout type knife was tucked into the zippered sleeve pocket of my bomber jacket when my friends and I played in the woods as soldiers escaping from enemy patrols behind enemy lines. My father gave me my first real pocket knife, so it had a nostalgic meaning, a bond between father and son, he showed me the basics of how to use and care for it.

Last edited:
Excuse the double post please. I think I created another account back in the day and don't know why it goes to mike81695 or Korean hog sometimes.

Multiple accounts are prohibited.
Choose either the Mike 81695 account or the Korean Hog account to keep. Post your decision in this thread. Which ever account you do not choose will be removed. That should take care of the double posting.

Multiple accounts are prohibited.
Choose either the Mike 81695 account or the Korean Hog account to keep. Post your decision in this thread. Which ever account you do not choose will be removed. That should take care of the double posting.
Oh man thanks! I had no intention of having two accounts. I can only assume that I created the mike81695 account in the past and forgot about it. It surprised me when my user name was different and after posting and logging back in another time from today I realized I wasn't on the same account. I would like to keep the Korean Hog account please. Thank you again for straightening this out for me.

I love the "why so many knives" and "you paid how much?" questions.

Especially from people who spend $3000 a year on TV and data plans.

At least I have something at the end of the year. Something beautiful and useful to boot.
Exactly! Some people give me grief about what I spend on knives, but I've had the same thought/ done the same math where they're spending the same if not way more on things that are completely disposable as in one time use that they don't need either. Stuff they just like to have.

Had a SAK that I stole from my father as a kid, liked being in the kitchen, I like sharp things...

Cause I just like them, and it's a hobby. No real logic to it.

I love knives and I love hammers, because they were man's first tools, and are still in use today and always will be.
A knife is something every true man should carry where and when legal, and the variety sparks an interest in knives for men.
If there was only one kind of knife for people to carry, we'd still put it in our pocket but nobody would want to talk about them.
A more specific reason to me would be when I found a red vic classic on the ground when I was 3, My mom took it " until you're old enough " ( am I old enough yet mom :D ) and knowing that she didn't let me have a lot of things that were cool it really made me want to have a pocket knife.

Somehow a knife appears more alive to me than most other objects that one can possess. It appears to have power which is visual, direct and plain and something one can connect with quite easily. It doesnt need much effort to enjoy it, use it, or appreciate it's usefulness, unlike a book or a piece of music. And like others have commented, it is a piece of art and history. Often I pick up a knife in my collection and it fills me with awe:) I love knives. I love mostly traditional knives. I love the warmth of the wood, the beauty and mystery and individuality of the stag, and the toughness and sharpness and patina of the steel. I like the patina which binds past events and experiences to the knife. ~og

I've always been drawn to knives. When I was younger and home alone at night I would always get a kitchen knife to have with me when I got scared and it became a comforting object, to the point I always wanted to have one with me. Then as I carried and used knives I became intrigued by how they cut, how different steels performed, getting them sharp and sharper and all that other good stuff, and the obsession was born.

WHY so many knives?

They distract us. They are anesthesia to the soul. When we are patrolling the knife forums, watching the videos, thinking about what knife would would buy, hunting for the best price, ordering it and waiting and staring at the mailbox, we forget that we will never play leapfrog with Kate Upton or walk on the moon. We forget our crappy jobs at Home Depot and our crappy cars. The whole knife experience distracts us from this reality. Some use drugs, or alcohol, or golf, or exercise, or you name it. But its all distraction and anesthesia. For us its knives.

When the knife arrives in the mailbox, and we carry it for a few days, the anesthesia wears off, and we start the process over. And over and over. That's how we end up with so many knives.

kn7.jpg

When I realized that a knife can be really sharp, I was hooked.

I got a nice little stationary kit when I was a high schooler. There was a little “knife” in it, which had a very keen chisel grind. It really split a piece of paper overlaid on the edge with a little pressure. That was an eye opener for me.

I got this, uh, this giant, gaping hole inside me. And I’m…I’m always trying to fill it with something. I like to call it my, uh…my “God Hole.” And I think a lot of people in this world, they…they fill it with religion. But I don’t believe in God.

So I want to fill it with knives.

Back