Why are you so in to knives?

I collect all types of hand tools, knives are just a speciality of my collection.

I don't often tell people how much my knives cost, in fact I go out of my way to change the subject away from money when anyone but my wife or very best friends ask what a new knife costs but when I do feel like getting into the "why spend so much" I explain that most people don't bat an eye at carrying a $600 phone for two year or less, a $300 knife will last my life time, my sons lifetime and likely be passed down to his children one day. I more than get my money out of a knife, that's for sure!

many of the reasons above do it for me,

A. It's a tool, it's useful. Not jewelry, not a necklace, not a piece of leather, I can do stuff with a knife, it gives me independence, autonomy and ability to rely on myself world around us can be.

B. A distraction, something to fondle, use and enjoy out of work, or play with and explore on my free time. It drives my thoughts away from responsibilities, problems, and how crappy, corrupt and dark the

C. A hobby, the excitement of hunting the next one and the goal of having a collection, with different styles, brands, sizes or whatever, and of course the possibility of sharing it with other hobbyists, be on forums like these and meet new people, see new stuff to search for and hunt down and rethink and re-direct your interests and build up of your collection

D. A way of having something "you're into", like your wife might be "into purses", your neighbor "into race cars" and your brother "into football stamps".
That's also the answer -excuse- as to "Why so many?", because everybody has something that they possess and treasure or like in particular and above the average, and collect, accumulate and concentrate over unlike others around them

Why am I into knives?

Because if I slept around, had a gambling or drinking problem my wife would kill me and take me for everything I have, which at the moment would by all my knives. So I collect and accumulate knives because it's less painful and in the end less costly. :)

The other reasons are because I'm a mechanic/machinist and have used tools my whole life and to me knives are the epitome of tools. Of course there's the history of the cutlery industry which always fascinated me.

Last but not least, it's my right and obligation to carry a knife as a tool and as a backup in case my pistol malfunctions or I can't get to it.

Matt, my BIL gave me his police issue S&W cuffs and keys to use as a steering lock for my motorcycle. I used to handcuff the front forks to one of the down tubes in the cradle to keep them from rollin' the bike away. I also over the years learned all the ways to pick, slip, and break standard issue cuffs and always have a key on my key ring and in my wallet just in case. ;)

Back