Why Bowie gets all the love and not Hudson Bay

Well NEssmuks were never that big, it's only these days that you see huge nessmuks. I like the smaller nessmuk design, you get a very wide blade that has great cutting geometry.

I do to. Neat design...food prep Nessmuk used it for. Used the "hump" on the spine as a spoon.

I do to. Neat design...food prep Nessmuk used it for. Used the "hump" on the spine as a spoon.

I am sure we are in the minority. As a a total utility blade it is hard to beat. I wish Mora would make a Nessmuk design

I am sure we are in the minority. As a a total utility blade it is hard to beat. I wish Mora would make a Nessmuk design

They were "sexy" for a while a couple years back...shame they fell out of fashion a bit.

Ugh....another bowie thread......:yawn:

And I suppose you personally know these hardmen, right?

It is mostly a fantasy with very little proven fact that means little today and that know one will really know the truth of. Just sayin.

I cannot prove anything yet i think more trappers hunters and mountain men went into the wild with hudson bay knives butcher knives and simple belt knives than with bowie style knives. Also i luv me a bowie thread

I cannot prove anything yet i think more trappers hunters and mountain men went into the wild with hudson bay knives butcher knives and simple belt knives than with bowie style knives. Also i luv me a bowie thread

Yes, because trappers and mountain men didn't carry Bowie knives. Bowie knives are fighters. They carried skinners.

Also, more mountain men and trappers went into the wild with Hudson Bay knives than with shamshirs and jambiyas combined!

I am sure we are in the minority. As a a total utility blade it is hard to beat.
We do seem to be in the minority (but then the Nessmuk doesnt look 'tactical,' Scagel be praised). I am a fan of the Nessmuk as well.

I cannot prove anything yet i think more trappers hunters and mountain men went into the wild with hudson bay knives butcher knives and simple belt knives than with bowie style knives.

And nor will you ever be able to....

Also i luv me a bowie thread

I can tell. You love arguing ;). Nothing like unprovable history, mixed with fantasy and opinion to get a good argument going :thumbup:

Yes, because trappers and mountain men didn't carry Bowie knives. Bowie knives are fighters. They carried skinners.

Also, more mountain men and trappers went into the wild with Hudson Bay knives than with shamshirs and jambiyas combined!

Stop it marci! That makes too much sense. Can't we just definitively say one is better than the other?

jim bowie killed a bear with his knife, and won knife fights, one with several attackers. his name carries more pizzaz than skinning animals i suppose.

And your documentation for all of this is? Far as I know, the Sandbar is the only time it can be documented Bowie used a knife in a fight. But I've seen that early episode of the Jim Bowie TV show where he kills the bear too.

Its all in the looks and name. The Hudson Bay looks like a fat spatula and sounds like a fur trapper would be rocking around Canada circa 1802. The Bowie sounds like a bad mother of a knife and would #$&## #$&## up if things hit the fan! The clip point on it definitely adds to its seines and legend.

Clip - what clip point? ;)

EdwinForrestBowieknife.jpg

BTW the above is a very good looking knife IMO - clip point or no clip point.

Clip - what clip point? ;)

EdwinForrestBowieknife.jpg

BTW the above is a very good looking knife IMO - clip point or no clip point.

If you have ever had a chance to take a very close look at this knife (It was on display at the Oregon Knife Show last year and I have) it is a lot more complicated in design than it looks in a flat photo. Somebody with real hammer and anvil skill forged it. Jim Bowie's actual knife, I don't know but it seems to fit the description.

Funny how knife fighting is just sword fighting, but shorter. Would Bowie, or anyone carrying a 'fighting knife' use said knife for anything else? Obviously HB's and whatnot were, but were big fighters just fighters? Why not carry a little sword? Seems like a weird, de-evolution.

Love me some bowies, and my condor HB is a great knife design, if not perfectly executed. I'd like to try the brk version, though that huge bolster is kinda no bueno.

Bowie does seem to be a tremendously relative term that refers to clip point. Otherwise how can both a bk9 (combat bowie) and the crkt folts minimalist bowie both be! Is a buck 119? Some interesting points in this thread!

Bowie had a TV show and Henry Hudson didn't ?

Bowie had a movie and figured in every Alamo movie made.

He was a fighter and mighty adventuring man.

Poor Henry failed to find the Northwest Passage and was murdered by his crew.

I also recieall laws forbiding farrying 'bowie knives' and the term bowie was written in the text. If this is true fould one get off by stating that they were carrying a huge knife but as it was not a bowie style it was ok? Or did the term bowie knife just mean big knife?

Back