Why Bowie gets all the love and not Hudson Bay

Ok, lets bring back the nessmuk. Lets ask Mora to make one for 30 to 40 bucks

I also recieall laws forbiding farrying 'bowie knives' and the term bowie was written in the text. If this is true fould one get off by stating that they were carrying a huge knife but as it was not a bowie style it was ok? Or did the term bowie knife just mean big knife?

It means nothing, since, even in the Bowies' lifetime, only they knew what the Sandbar knife looked like.

We have a better idea now than all the chairborne Bowie-ninjas did in the mid 1800s.

Interesting thread. I think the Bowie got more popular because of the sandbar fight, and Bowie's history with the Alamo. Bowie to say the least was not a skilled fighter with the knife, but was a very tough SOB who was not afraid to fight back, and the legend took off where everyone had to have a knife like Bowie's...and the styles took off. Not too mention Rezin's clever advertising to help spread the legend.

I think the Hudson Bay was not as popular as the Bowie because it did not have such a famous start (the sandbar fight) but gained its reputation from the stories of the mountain men. Who carried the kitchen knife or skinner knives to practice
their trade, and they worked, and were not as glamorous as the Bowie knife, but still did the job. To me, the Hudson Bay is the synthesis of the butcher and skinner knives, becoming an all-around knife, and culminating in the buffalo or chief knives of the mountains or Great Plains buffalo hunters (no proof of course, just my opinion). As far as practicality today, I have a few Hudson Bay knives that I consider practical for camp use, but would be a bit heavy to carry all day on the belt, but just right for a pack or Higgins carry, like my ML knives, and one Swamp fox knife that is more of a butcher knife.

Last edited:

You could cut down a Russell/Green River Buffalo Skinner!

Which, along with the other Russell/Green River styles, is exactly what these mountain men and trappers thatsaknife were carrying....in addition to the occasional Hudson River chopping knife.

Last edited:

Which, along with the other Russell/Green River, is exactly what these mountain men and trappers thatsaknife were carrying....in addition to the occasional Hudson River chopping knife.

I use to have a 19th century Hudson bay knife. It had the big brass rivet in the handle and all. I gave it away. I currently have a Busse MUK, which is a high end Nessmuk. It is 0.14" thick and nearly 2 inch wide blade. IT is a great slicer. But I like Moras and I think a Mora handled Nessmuk would sell.

Which, along with the other Russell/Green River, is exactly what these mountain men and trappers thatsaknife were carrying....in addition to the occasional Hudson River chopping knife.

Ok, but wasn't the Mountain Man era completed, when the Russel/Green River knife came into production?

Regards
Mikael

Yes, but was there not a fire in the factory, that delayed the introduction to the late 1830'ies?

Regards
Mikael

So then what were they carrying? Do we have to go further back to things like Sheffield cartouche knives?

Ok, but wasn't the Mountain Man era completed, when the Russel/Green River knife came into production?

Regards
Mikael

And I suppose the era had ended before the Bowie era began, also!

Interesting stuff. I thought their time extended later.

On a more serious note and before anyone further figures out my Bowie education comes from watching reruns of bonanza and F troop as a kid, I feel as if the Bowie involved into that clip point shape and has been fully evolved since having taken that shape.

The Hudson Bay to me has either evolved or been replaced by the chopper E.g. Becker and or machete types of knives. The Bowie streamlined whereas the HB got even bigger in its evolution.

I don't know, that's why I ask.

Regards
Mikael

You are supposed to know, my friend! :D I did some more reading and it sounds as if knives similar to those Green Rivers patterns were being used earlier, but they were Sheffield knives, basically small butchers knives and butchers skinning knives.

If I read it correctly it looks like I. Wilson in Sheffield was making a skinner in about 1750 and exporting them.

You are supposed to know, my friend! :D I did some more reading and it sounds as if knives similar to those Green Rivers patterns were being used earlier, but they were Sheffield knives, basically small butchers knives and butchers skinning knives.

If I read it correctly it looks like I. Wilson in Sheffield was making a skinner in about 1750 and exporting them.

I have read about it in the past, but had forgotten about the details.:)
Re-reading a few websites has refreshed my memory.
It sure is an interesting era!

I think You are right and Sheffield was probably the main supplier of skinners to the American continent.:thumbup:
I believe there were other European suppliers as well, like French, Spanish and German manufacturers.

Regards
Mikael

Or just as Buck to do a flat grind version of their 103 Skinner.

Let Mora make traditional Scandanavian designs and their modern variants.

Flatten a Buck 103 and you have an Anerican made production Nessmuck.

Back