Why do knife snobs hate Cold Steel??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that's true. My comments about CS using "sub-par" steels like AUS8 is somewhat off-base. Cold Steel doesn't make claims of making the best-slicing knives, or the longest-lasting in rope-cutting-tests knives, they claim to make the "World's Strongest Knives" (I'll ignore the claim about "Sharpest Knives"). And "prove" it with videos of stabbing car doors and whatnot.

What steel is "best" is subjective to the task at hand (among other things), and I'll concede that AUS8 is a far better steel for stabbing car doors than VG-10 or S30V. Personally though, I don't find myself stabbing car doors all that often, so I prefer a steel that holds an edge better when used performing "normal" and "every day" cutting tasks. For which AUS8 is IMO sub-par.

I also must amend my original statement that CS's knives "never really did anything for me". I'll admit that I've always liked the look of the Ti-Lite titanium models (particularly the purple anodized one). But I never risked buying one because I was wary of getting a lemon. And to be fair, it's a Phil Boguszewski, not a CS one.

I bet that if Camillus wouldn't have went under CS wouldn't be using as much AUS8.

Well, I have had many cold steel knife, and have never once had a single problem with them. In fact it has been top notch every time. As for being overpriced, yes some of it is, but it is well worth it in my mind.

I got a Cold Steel Finn Bear recently. What a piece of junk! So blunt it wouldn't cut hot butter. After trying every hone, diamond and stone to sharpen it, I finally put it on a grinder to get a bevel. Finally got a half decent (but still dull by my standards) and gave it to the wife for a kitchen knife. I'll not buy another Cold Steel product.

RIch S

I got a Cold Steel Finn Bear recently. What a piece of junk! So blunt it wouldn't cut hot butter. After trying every hone, diamond and stone to sharpen it, I finally put it on a grinder to get a bevel. Finally got a half decent (but still dull by my standards) and gave it to the wife for a kitchen knife. I'll not buy another Cold Steel product.

RIch S

I'm calling BS on this one - here's proof! :D

[YouTube]MBLQ3QU2KSI[/YouTube]

WOW!!
That sure "proves" it, LOL!!Do you believe every video you see on the internet or just the CS-BS video's?

Only the ones, like from Cold Steel, say they're "Proof" because it's illegal to false advertise.....geesh anybody knows that! :)

I cant speak for that lil finn bear knife but my
CS Laredo, Trailmaster and Recon Scout have been pretty awesome.
I just sold the Natchez bowie so I could buy a Benchmade Auto Stryker and AFO II
but that thing was nice too.

At least LT doesnt lie about military service to help sell his knives

I just sold the Natchez bowie so I could buy a Benchmade Auto Stryker and AFO II

OUCH!! :p

Really? Did you just make another Strider reference? I mean... really? :rolleyes:

What that is not allowed? People can talk crap about chubby LT
and his silly videos but I reference burger and people get all butt hurt?

what it is, is a classic straw argument.

in defense of one thing, you bring up something totally irrelevant to redirect the original argument.

Most of us know the stories but you're getting over the top with it maybe? :(

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8780842#post8780842

I admit after reading a couple of hours about him I started a thread and went off the handle a lil bit, I am Italian ya know! Ive calmed down about it
and can see how it looked crazy being so late to the party.
My point I was trying to make was people like to make fun of and talk
about LT but I mention burger and people are like enough about strider its
old news!

Not to redirect the argument, but it does kinda look like, with all of the (mostly deserved) shots taken at LT,but then jumping on people who bring up Strider, that people are saying "It's ok to do over the top or dishonest advertising as long as your blade steel is up to par".
While this is a thread about Cold Steel and not Strider, what Strider did is, in my mind, much much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back