Why do knife snobs hate Cold Steel??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to redirect the argument, but it does kinda look like, with all of the (mostly deserved) shots taken at LT,but then jumping on people who bring up Strider, that people are saying "It's ok to do over the top or dishonest advertising as long as your blade steel is up to par".
While this is a thread about Cold Steel and not Strider, what Strider did is, in my mind, much much worse.

it is worse. lynn thompson has mostly just been obnoxious in his videos, and that is a matter of opinion.

in a thread about cold steel, how is anything mick strider has done or not done relevant?

"lynn thompson is fat!"

"well, at least he didn't dump oil in to the ocean like exxon!"

it is worse. lynn thompson has mostly just been obnoxious in his videos, and that is a matter of opinion.

in a thread about cold steel, how is anything mick strider has done or not done relevant?

"lynn thompson is fat!"

"well, at least he didn't dump oil in to the ocean like exxon!"

Dunno, I'm sure he's been in the ocean before, and he does look kinda oily.....:D

Not to redirect the argument, but it does kinda look like, with all of the (mostly deserved) shots taken at LT,but then jumping on people who bring up Strider, that people are saying "It's ok to do over the top or dishonest advertising as long as your blade steel is up to par".
While this is a thread about Cold Steel and not Strider, what Strider did is, in my mind, much much worse.

Thankyou for understanding

I got a Cold Steel Finn Bear recently. What a piece of junk! So blunt it wouldn't cut hot butter. After trying every hone, diamond and stone to sharpen it, I finally put it on a grinder to get a bevel. Finally got a half decent (but still dull by my standards) and gave it to the wife for a kitchen knife. I'll not buy another Cold Steel product.

RIch S

Don't blame you at all. Now you can take that $8 somewhere else and make someone else rich beyond their wildest.....:rolleyes:

Because I don't like obnoxious and childish behaviour. If you look at his "warrior's lifestyle" (or whatever it was called) video, you'll see that he's just the insecure boy from school. He just wants some attention and a hug.

Had to watch it. Yeah. That's pretty sad.

All my Cold Steel blades I bought knowing what they were-inexpensive but functional. The Finn Bear, in my opinion, is one of the best allaround outdoor knife blade profiles in existance. I'll have a custom maker crank out a mirror with a real scandi grind and a nicer handle (same design, better materials-probably nickel silver bolsters and ebony)

I watched it the other day, heres my take.

You can totally see the guy had a rough childhood and was bullied, but
now look at him.

He makes good knives, has an awesome job, rich as hell, traveled around the world, and does what he wants.

He had the balls to go out and become what he wanted to be and lives
his life like he wants.

He has my respect even though he was a bullied goofy kid.

I think most poeple are just JEALOUS

I have to say that I despite talking a lot of shit on LT and CS knives (Triple Action Folder fell apart in almost 2 months), I do have some respect for the man. He has "made it" in the knife world. I was carrying a tanto modded Spartan before I got my Demko custom. Best lockup bar none (besides The Demko) and I will put this knife side to side with $600 customs when it comes to lockup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoyote

I watched it the other day, heres my take.

You can totally see the guy had a rough childhood and was bullied, but
now look at him.

He makes good knives, has an awesome job, rich as hell, traveled around the world, and does what he wants.

He had the balls to go out and become what he wanted to be and lives
his life like he wants.

He has my respect even though he was a bullied goofy kid.

I think most poeple are just JEALOUS

If you watch Lynn Thompson in his "Cold Steel - Life On The Edge" (there's no Martial Way video that I know of?) with the eyes and mindset of a martial arts practitioner, you won't feel pity for him or think how sad he is or needs hugs. He's talking about a lifestyle/philosophy for his life and his company that most people don't "get" regardless of whether they say so or not. You have to live it to really know it and if you know it, then you know that he's not a pitiful character by a long shot.

The same with his actual "martial" videos on blade selection like his machete series, and various knife and sword fighting videos illustrate that this man knows what he's talking about. He's forgot more about the martial use of a blade than 99% of people know.

I posted this vid earlier maybe you guys who think he's pitiful should watch it and listen to it again. Like one of his trainers said people will talk about what a punk LT is, "behind his back" but nobody says a word like that to his face. ;)

[YouTube]rWT1-_S-aYw[/YouTube]

Part 1 of 3: knife fighting

[YouTube]pKoxYw4JyVM[/YouTube]

Machete part 1 of 7:

[YouTube]pVVW3NCWLfc[/YouTube]

Lynn Thompson's largo mano technique is actually quite competent looking. I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley armed with just knives.

well, i really like my CS baseball bat. ive actually used it at the batting cages, but mostly it sits near my recliner.

i have a few CS knives, still have the first model they made, the tanto, i love it, it was my go to item before i got into other weapons and tools.

i have the bat, the throwing hatchet, the voyager folding tanto.

i didnt buy them to use hard, i bought them for other uses, ex. folding tanto, strictly a backup to a handgun. its very lightweight, and it sticks and slashes.

im not a knife snob, i dont hate CS knives, but i dont have CS knives exclusivley, i have a little of most "brands".

old timer/schrade/new schrade/buck/ZT/CS/spyderco/benchmade/gerber/craftsman(70's)/ i just like them all.

I like Lynn Thompson, he's a real guy, not perfect, a salesman by trade and a warrior at heart.

I can't say that about alot of other corporate shills.

I own a few knives from Glen Jacobs.These are life time waranty,d2 steel, wood and antler handles. I also have a walrus tusk bowie w/ damascus blade. No stainless steel here. He also works with m2 and wootz with krystal matrix which no one eles does that i know of.No lies here except disgruntled stainless steel knife owners. Spam Removed. You do not have to put this in the posts you make over and over have my vote. Also 100 percent money back garuntee(sp). no politics here. (yeah just spam or deal spotting):eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Glen Jacobs a part owner of Cold Steel or maybe LT's half brother?
:confused:

Last edited:
All I know is I picked up Recon 1, stripped the black crap off the blade and now have One Helluva pocket knife I can certainly depend on, use and abuse all for 60 bucks delivered!!!!! I don't care what he looks like or how good a martial artist he is. The fit, feel, blade shape and lock-up are exactly what I like... If it were s30v or D2 even 154cm It's all I could ask for ... I'll deal with the aus8 and like it........

I liked the Recon-1 when it was made with Carbon V and the original lock, but have since lowered the quality, like most CS products.
I have noticed they will announce a knife with "the best" steel, then later change the steel to a cheaper steel and still advertise it as "the best" steel. For years, they stated Carbon-V was their top of the line steel, so, I guess now CS has no more "Top of the Line" knives?
Their words, not mine...

All I know is I picked up Recon 1, stripped the black crap off the blade and now have One Helluva pocket knife I can certainly depend on, use and abuse all for 60 bucks delivered!!!!! I don't care what he looks like or how good a martial artist he is. The fit, feel, blade shape and lock-up are exactly what I like... If it were s30v or D2 even 154cm It's all I could ask for ... I'll deal with the aus8 and like it........

What's ya get? One of the ultra-lock models from last year or the new triad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back