Why do people hate Spyderco?

I only really like the Civilian. But that knife towers over everything else, and the newer G-10 is clearly much, much better than the old aluminium handle, just because the pot metal pivot pin was replaced with hardened machined pivots...

All the older pin-pivot knives had soft unhardened "pot metal" pins for pivots: You could mark the pivot pin with your nail, almost... Spyderco was not alone in doing this...

I don't think many people hate Spydercos, but they manage to be different while still being a bit bland. The Civilian is not bland.

The hole is not easier to open than a stud, but not much worse either, and it does leave the blade clear of protrusions.

Because of the wider handle shape at the rear, tip down carry feels bulkier than tip up on blades around 4".

The lockbacks very often have a bit, to a lot, of of vertical play, about 70-80% of them in the many 90s Enduras I used to buy (and which I don't remember fondly, because of the soft metal pivot pin. There was, however, nothing comparable to their serrated edges available in the early mid 90s where I was).

It could be they are getting better now that they have machined pivot screws, but even the high-end G-10 Civilian has recently proved a 50% gamble in 2013: I bought two at once to replace a lost aluminium handle version (which I had carried for 15 years), with the idea at least one would be "tight", and that is exactly how it turned out...

The first run of the Military had handle screws that screwed directly into the G-10 (gas station knives usually do a lot better these days!), and that pretty much soured me on anything but the Civilian for 20 years.

Gaston

Not sure why myself. :confused:

Personally I think as people learn more they tend to gravitate towards Spyderco and high performance more.

But then that is what I have seen over the years.

Budget and personal needs and wants are also factors so that can and will vary quite a bit.

I hate them because I keep buying them. :eek: Over the last 13 years, they've cost me a small fortune. :eek: :D

Reactions: vba
I understand people calling them "ugly" since they take so many risks on unique designs, but for the money, I think they're the best brand out there.

They are generally wider than other knives, but they're easier (for me) to open smoothly/quickly than a thumbstud. Part of that could be the strong detent on my Sebenza (haven't owned a Benchmade yet), but I find the hole easier to deploy.

For me, I'm attracted to the designs, the steels, and the thriving market for them. I love how much thought they put into their designs, and the overwhelming amount of options there are out there. I'm the kind of guy that wants a knife for every category, not one in every color, so I feel like I'm starting to get close to my saturation point. Then a sprint comes along, or a crazy Mule, and all logic flies out the window 😁

I don't want to complain about a brand that I don't own, but the numerous Spyderco's that I have played with do however feel pretty silly in the hand. The dumb hole in the blade is enough to piss you off. So guess there not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strangely, I feel this exact same way about CRKT. All that cheap steel formed into ergonomically inferior shapes is enough to piss me off too. [emoji57]

I own a delica love my delica. I used to hate spyderco because they looked stupid as heck and still do to me that hold just eeww looking. Plus the bright colors and really light weight really seemed like a toy to me. Then I held a delica, bought it and expected it to break easily. Chipped the tip a couple times in my four months of owning it but I'm rougher on knives than many. Doubt I'll buy another one when my delica breaks but I love it.

Back then I picked up a standard model then traded it, also had a few Enduras should have kept them. Anyhow 20 years later back to the Endura & Delica FFg I find it's all I need So it's a useful tool with a hole opening which it's best for me. Anyone who doesn't give it a try should, I think you would be satisfied. GC

spyderco is one of the highly respected knife brands that's known for quality and integrity.

I would second and third that.
I was going to say the "cause they're stupid" reply but got beat to it.

LOVE MY SPYDERCOS

I have a small list of them I want in the future.
They got CPM-S110V into my hot little hands, with a nice heat treat, who else can do that for me for less than the price of a car payment ? ? ?
Nobody.

PS: I carried my Manix all day at work running around . . . on my feet all day. Some people say it is very wide in the pocket and you feel it too much.
I never knew it was there, really light, but the times I pulled it out and used it I smiled.
The new guy even said "What kind of knife is that? It looks special." I showed it to him and proudly showed him it was made in the USA. That pleased him. The knife he had in his belt pouch was like thirty years old and was US made.

I'm tellin' yah . . . what's not to like ?

Last edited:
I don't want to complain about a brand that I don't own, but the numerous Spyderco's that I have played with do however feel pretty silly in the hand. The dumb hole in the blade is enough to piss you off. So guess there not for me.

I always read the forum of knives that I think are dumb and piss me off. Apparently you do too.

I don't why someone would come up with this topic. I'm good with the FFg Endura & Delica, if no one likes it, screw em. I'm no fan boy or whatever but Spyderco has some knives that is useful to anyone. Again if you don't like them, go somewhere else. Gary

Hater's gonna hate.I carry other brands but have several personal reasons why I totes my Delica&Endura.

I would like to say give Spyderco a try, the Endura , Delica FFG is my favorite also like some slipits. To me the hole opening is a great design. I don't like every model they make but they are an excellent company with great service. I do like other companies but I rate this one up there. Gary

You have not yet reached enlightenment.

I would like to say give Spyderco a try, the Endura , Delica FFG is my favorite also like some slipits. To me the hole opening is a great design. I don't like every model they make but they are an excellent company with great service. I do like other companies but I rate this one up there. Gary

I do not like every model they make and some leave me scratching my head. But, most of what they make is top notch and I really love the ones I have kept. In fact, I got rid of a Manix 2 XL only because it did not fit my hand as well as I would have liked because of the pommel.

Hi, my name is Doc, and I'm a Spyderco addict.

Some statements:

1. Spyderco do things their own way. Some folks get that, some folks don't- and that's fine.

2. Some folks hate pizza- Pizza!- so there's gonna be folks out there that hate Spyderco. Doesn't have to be logical, and there's no point trying to explain it away with logic either. Think of knives like favourite movies- Nothing is stopping you thinking The Godfather is boring rubbish compared to Sharknado 3. Others might argue the merits of that in a wider context, but it's down to you and what you like alone. And that's perfectly fine.

3. I love Spyderco- the product, the approach to the market and us users, the philosophy and the team. They are, for me, the complete package- and when you tell non-knife-peeps about their concepts of Integrity, how they behave and CQI: it makes them thoughtful. This is a good thing. There aren't many big multi-national corporations with huge HR departments that manage to behave as sensibly as comparatively small Spyderco.....I use them as an example of 'Just Culture' and even quote Sal's definition of Integrity as part of aerospace training course I deliver.

4. Not every single Spyderco model was made for me- it's possible to love Spyderco and still have models you don't like!
Most I like.
Many I love.
Some I simply don't get.
That's fine: because Sal and team make each model for a reason or at a specific request....And my foibles and tastes weren't necessarily overlapping with that reason or request.

I was actually going to use your pizza analogy. What are the odds!:)

I don't know anyone that hates Spyderco other than those I know that don't like knives all. Maybe I need to show them a Spyderco or Ten.

Yeah, like others here have said. One of the things I hate most about Spyderco is their crazy ability to reach out and empty my wallet.....sometimes almost without my knowledge. [emoji12]

Then there's that stupid hole in the blade. I can't stand the fact that it is probably the most naturally intuitive and safe ways to deploy a folder.

And the crazy high quality control....who on earth does that? What's wrong with the old standard of the "mystery in the box"? Nobody really likes to open a new knife and always meet or exceed expectations. In today's world, we need something to complain and rant about. It's simply unhealthy. Stooopid Spyderco. [emoji23]

••••••••••••••••••••
People are Strange, When You're a Stranger....

Back