Why do people hate Spyderco?

Yeah, like others here have said. One of the things I hate most about Spyderco is their crazy ability to reach out and empty my wallet.....sometimes almost without my knowledge. [emoji12]

Then there's that stupid hole in the blade. I can't stand the fact that it is probably the most naturally intuitive and safe ways to deploy a folder.

And the crazy high quality control....who on earth does that? What's wrong with the old standard of the "mystery in the box"? Nobody really likes to open a new knife and always meet or exceed expectations. In today's world, we need something to complain and rant about. It's simply unhealthy. Stooopid Spyderco. [emoji23]

••••••••••••••••••••
People are Strange, When You're a Stranger....

Sorry for OT, but how do you find the right emoji code?

@ demoncase,
Very well stated! :thumbup:!!!

The only people who hate a company are fanboys..

I have one but I don't think I'll have another one but I did try it at least

You probably would have had better luck not posting this in a spyderco forum if you wanted opinions of non spyderco lovers... just sayin.

No one really hates spyderco. Those that say they do are paid to say so, because it creates hype for the company. In the future, after the great knife wars, spyderco is the only company left standing. Therefore every knife will then be called a spyderco.

Chris "Anagarika";16030782 said:
Sorry for OT, but how do you find the right emoji code?

@ demoncase,
Very well stated! :thumbup:!!!

Not sure. My kids tell me I need to use the emojis on my phone more often than I do. Guess it keeps things a little lighter.

I'm sure it's been stated, but what I've heard from others:

- Spyderhole
- Hump in the blade to accommodate spyderhole
- Blades all look the same
- Price

I don't share any of these gripes (except for the price on some models, but that's not exclusive to Spyderco) - just adding to the data pool.

No one really hates spyderco. Those that say they do are paid to say so, because it creates hype for the company. In the future, after the great knife wars, spyderco is the only company left standing. Therefore every knife will then be called a spyderco.

I feel like eating Taco Bell and / or a rat burger right now. Weird.

Wouldn't say I hate them, but have found most of the ones I bought just sit in their boxes.
Exceptions are the Manix2 LW in S110V that is nearly always in my pocket, and the Pacific Salt in H1 I take out fishing. Not crazy about the blade shape on the Manix, but the steel holds and edge nicely, the lock is easy for me one handed, and has enough grip to fill my hand. And of course for saltwater fishing, the H1 is good stuff, tho could wish it would keep an edge much better than mine does when cutting braided lines, for instance.
All the ones sitting in boxes, however, just didn't impress me for various reasons. They are all lower cost pieces too. The Manix2 in S110V was pretty cheap, but overcame that with its steel and utility to me. So I think at least to me that Spyderco has some gems, scattered across the line.
I used to do a lot of ZT, which were pretty decent and pretty, but they kept getting pricier, to the point I felt like I was being gouged. Seemed like any I really wanted in particular were 'limited editions' where the gouging went to silly levels too. For a collector, ok fine,,,, but I use mine when I like them and do not want to feel like I have to baby them because of cost.
The couple Spyderco's I really like now are not so showy, but I didn't feel gouged, the materials and design work for me, and they nicely fit the roles I've given them.

My assessment of why people would hate Spyderco probably goes all the way back from when I first learned of the company. It was back around 1994 I believe when I first started seeing their advertisements in two of the knife magazines I was getting at the time. Because when I first learned of them the only ads I seen were ones showing serrated blades. And like most people I knew at that time didn't like serrated blades at all ( myself included). And I didn't like serrated blades until I got my very first Spyderco knife in April of 1995.

It was only when I realized that high quality serrated blades like the ones Spyderco makes is what turned my own thinking the other direction. It just boils down to the fact that many people usually have negative pre-conceived notions about certain products and until they learn better or get to see first hand like I did that Spyderco really made great blades. It's really just a matter of being proven otherwise if that makes any sense?

Because I did indeed pretty much turn my nose up at serrated blades up till when I got my first Spyderco blade which was a Stainless handled Mariner SE model with GIN-1 blade steel>> it was then when I got my very first really good, high quality serrated blade made by the Great Spyder Factory that I not only changed my mind about serrated blades but quickly learned that Spyderco was a great producer of high quality cutlery. Been Hooked Ever Since :cool:

Iv'e been collecting and using knives for 35 years and never thought about spyderco knives, didn't like the look especially the hole.

Last month while looking at other brands I asked if I can have a look at the Spyderco Mantra because it looked good especially with the titanium scales.............as soon as I flicked it I owned it, first spyderco and not my last :)

The only "hate" I've seen is just from people used to buying cheap, crappy imports ("I would never pay more than $20 for a knife" type nonsense).

John

..... That's probably the answer right there..... Outside of that, I don't see why,

jealousy maybe.....

..... That's probably the answer right there..... Outside of that, I don't see why,

jealousy maybe.....

You're probably on to something there Brother because I can see why there are models that Spyderco makes that wouldn't necessarily appeal to all people but I can assure that Spyderco makes some models that almost everyone can like. Take the C-36 Military model for instance>> I've had people that didn't like Spyderco stuff overall but they both liked the MILITARY model. Also I've had guys and gals both who rave about their kitchen knives but say they don't like their folders with the Spyderhole :confused:

But there are people out there that are completely jaded with other knife companies and they feel Spyderco may be a threat to their interests? :confused: I know it sounds childish but it wouldn't be the first time I've encountered intelligent, older adults who are very childish :rolleyes:

But who knows? maybe it's such a stupid, baseless prejudice that would make most of us laugh :rolleyes:

I personally have never met anyone that hates Spyderco knives. I think the inspiration of incorporating the designs found in nature into a knife is a unique yet logical concept. :)

I personally have never met anyone that hates Spyderco knives. I think the inspiration of incorporating the designs found in nature into a knife is a unique yet logical concept. :)

The more I look at and read the posts on this thread I'm becoming convinced that it's not really a hatred of Spyderco per se but more or less a hatred of serrated blades. Because when you look it from a consumer's point of view what is the one thing that comes to most people's minds when mentioning Spyderco? Yes the first thing that most people think about are their serrated blades which for some unbeknown reason many people have a preset hatred for serrated blades.

Because many of them have not ever had a high quality serrated blade like Spyderco makes. I'm sure that's a lot of the reason why so many people from a distance who have not tried Spyderco's products first hand seem to have already made up their mind based on that fact alone. I believe that's the case most of the time.

Can you guys stop posting in this thread? Every time I see a new reply it makes me think about buying a Bradley2. Cut it out.

Back