why do we keep getting different spyderco police versions without the original blade

what version would you buy

• full serrated

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • plain edge

Votes: 47 71.2%
  • combo

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
Touche. I guess you haven't been around here long enough to remember the last discussion on this subject. This isn't the first time I've given that response to Sal asking what we'd like to see.

I'd also engrave "Blue Lives Matter" on the blade. One of many reasons I don't run a multi-million dollar company.

Hi Jack,

"PIG" was pretty controversial in 1984. I'll have to think on it. I Don't know how "PC" I want to be. I think what's going on with the riots is not good.

We'd probably do a 1200 pc run.

sal

Hi Jack,

"PIG" was pretty controversial in 1984. I'll have to think on it. I Don't know how "PC" I want to be. I think what's going on with the riots is not good.

We'd probably do a 1200 pc run.

sal

No Swiss cheese!

As a retired LEO I always felt bad that I never owned the Police model until the current iteration with K390. Mostly it was because I didn't think the older style would be grippy enough for use as a daily carry for law enforcement work, and I prefer the full flat grind blade, personally.

That said, I'd buy other iterations currently if I could have them made here in the USA...and proudly carry any that said "Blue Lives Matter".

A "Police" model built overseas, while a fine knife and I love mine, doesn't have the same meaning for me personally as one that would be made here in the USA.

Seems like I remember someone <Sal?> saying the swedge on the OG would fairly easily accommodate sharpening and was likewise designed to be fully concealed in the handle when closed.

In my mind's eye I can imagine Sonny Crockett :cool: "testing" a key of coke with the tip of just such a Police model...;):p
giphy.gif

I've always appreciated the backlock and I like the full dedicated choil iterations of the model.

Sabre grind is cool and an added benefit is it makes it easier to sharpen with WE or similar clamping sharpeners.

Last edited:
Hi Blues,

I hear what you are saying, but this maker has been working with us for 40 years. I worked with the grandfather and the father and my son, Eric, works the the Grandson. They made all of our early knives that launched our knife company. They have been proud partners for as long as our company has been making knives. In our challenges, they carried us. In their challenges, we carried them. In our value system, it would be disloyal, dishonorable and unfair to take their Police model from them. Sorry.

sal

Hi Blues,

I hear what you are saying, but this maker has been working with us for 40 years. I worked with the grandfather and the father and my son, Eric, works the the Grandson. They made all of our early knives that launched our knife company. They have been proud partners for as long as our company has been making knives. In our challenges, they carried us. In their challenges, we carried them. In our value system, it would be disloyal, dishonorable and unfair to take their Police model from them. Sorry.

sal

That makes perfect sense to me, Sal. Tradition is important, and so is loyalty. I applaud your honoring both and will support further efforts in the line.

Hi Blues,

sal

I've carried the PM exclusively for six years in Law Enforcement. I wouldn't change it in any way!

Last edited:
i think the original police blade in serrated edge is spydercos most iconic blade, at least to me. i have a somewhat funny story, it was the the first knife that truly caught my attention when i was a non knife guy. however, the knife i first saw was a very bad copy of the ss police. in the early 2000s my friend was gifted a poor chinese copy of the police by one of his dads coworkers one day who wasnt a knife guy and just had it sitting in his desk, and when i saw it i could tell right away that it was a cheap made in china knife even though i wasnt a knife guy either but it still looked really wicked and later when i found out the real version was made by spyderco i had to have one. i had never seen a knife that looked that mean and aggressive before even though it was a knockoff with very poor quality. my friend ended up giving it to a tow truck driver one night when he needed a tow but had no cash.

Seems like I remember someone <Sal?> saying the swedge on the OG would fairly easily accommodate sharpening and was likewise designed to be fully concealed in the handle when closed.

In my mind's eye I can imagine Sonny Crockett :cool: "testing" a key of coke with the tip of just such a Police model...;):p
giphy.gif

I've always appreciated the backlock and I like the full dedicated choil iterations of the model.

Sabre grind is cool and an added benefit is it makes it easier to sharpen with WE or similar clamping sharpeners.

the one i have has a pretty thick spine on false edge, theres no way you could sharpen it without power tools/grinder

also, denzel watshington carried one in training day

I've carried the PM exclusively for six years in Law Enforcement. I wouldn't change it in any way! If you think there is significant difference from Saber grind and FFG you're truly ignorant.

5-by-5 5-by-5

I don't know why you are quoting Sal's reply to me about something entirely different than blade profiles and grinds.

My concern with the earlier Police models was primarily based upon my prior experience with flat stainless handles, all of which I gave away except for one or two I sold.

As I said:

Mostly it was because I didn't think the older style would be grippy enough for use as a daily carry for law enforcement work.

YMMV.

I've owned many saber ground knives over the years, from Spyderco as well as other makers, both custom and production. That's neither here nor there, nor is it the issue.

I have always loved the blade and overall lines of the original Police models. The weight of an all stainless knife is kind of a put-off for me though.

I’ll have to wait & see what finally comes out of this thread (and out of Seki), but this certainly has my attention.

I think that the original blade is a much more interesting looking blade. Being that there are other similar options such as the Endura & Military it would be nice to have one that is leaning more to form than function. I have one of the original blades knives and admit that it does not compete with a FFG in cutting ability.
When I need a lean mean cardboard cutting machine I have an abundance of other knives to choose from.
A sprint run of the original grind with an interesting steel would be real nice.

Last edited:
Hi All.

We'll have to use a flat saber as the maker can no longer can hollow grind.

As I see it, this is a print run to capture the original look for the "classic Police Model", with a focus on making a beautiful version. Correct me if I'm wrong?

We'll need to select a handle material and a steel, and I'm still thinking about a profound engraving. In this modern world of political correctness, a balance is important. I'm using a relatively blank slate and I'm open to ideas. I've found that you have a great deal of knowledge and have good ideas. Keep it in mind that this will be a sprint run. Probably 1200 to 1500 pcs.

So whaddayouwant?

sal

Hi Blues,

sal
Truly admire this value system :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Truly admire this value system :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sal is a National Treasure and we should all strive to be more like him! I mean, the people say they want a knife made a certain way, and the man is trying to make it happen. What more can you ask for?

He also designed the Shaman, which instantly became my favorite knife of all!

Hi All.

We'll have to use a flat saber as the maker can no longer can hollow grind.

As I see it, this is a print run to capture the original look for the "classic Police Model", with a focus on making a beautiful version. Correct me if I'm wrong?

We'll need to select a handle material and a steel, and I'm still thinking about a profound engraving. In this modern world of political correctness, a balance is important. I'm using a relatively blank slate and I'm open to ideas. I've found that you have a great deal of knowledge and have good ideas. Keep it in mind that this will be a sprint run. Probably 1200 to 1500 pcs.

So whaddayouwant?
I
sal
I'm very happy with mid flat Saber grind. The P.I.G. from the early 80s was not hollow ground.
Now for steel. Are we talking Seki steel or any steel? I really like CTS-XHP and S90V

Back