Why does Case get a pass on "surgical steel?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case the price should be less than what it is.
More than anything, it's the labor. Most of the slip joints are essentially hand made. The blades are cut out, but the finishing is all by hand as well as the fitting. There really aren't many Case knives that cost $100 now. GEC's are a different story as is the overall quality of the product often exceeds something made by Case.

If you want an inexpensive but pretty good slip joint knife, look at Rough Ryder knives.

I would like you to show me a $20 dollar, 420 HC, Buck made, full sized trapper. In the mean time would you like me to show you a 'less than $100 dollar', Case made, 420 HC, full sized trapper?
And then you still have a knife that doesnt lock with 420hc. Want to bet i can name knives with s30v steel that are cheaper than some case knives with their 420? And that's why the ought to be cheaper. It's an inferior product to spyderco. A vg10 delica would kick a case's ass.

And then you still have a knife that doesnt lock with 420hc. Want to bet i can name knives with s30v steel that are cheaper than some case knives with their 420? And that's why the ought to be cheaper. It's an inferior product to spyderco. A vg10 delica would kick a case's ass.
Nobody is forcing you to buy a Case. Buy Spyderco and feel like you got what you want.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll wait until you can show me a full sized trapper made by Spyderco.

It's been widely reported in many places that Case's Tru-Sharp Surgical Steel is actually...

... wait for it...

... 420HC.

The primary difference is that Case runs their 420HC a bit softer than Buck, more in the 56Rc range instead of 58Rc.

The other difference is that Case follows a more "Traditional" approach to branding their stainless. It's not entirely different from Schrade's (US) "Schrade+", which was either 440A or 420HC depending on the vintage.

FWIW, I strongly prefer Buck's 420HC to Case's but Case's 420HC is pretty much in the same ball park as the 420HC used by Leatherman and Gerber.

If you want to decry a lousy steel in a traditional knife, I recommend busting on Buck for using 420J2 in their imported traditionals. IMO, it's terribly sad that Buck uses that stuff and it's worth lumping in with all of the bad memories of early "surgical steel" stainless from way back in the day.

It's been widely reported in many places that Case's Tru-Sharp Surgical Steel is actually...

... wait for it...

... 420HC.

I thought we established that in this thread a couple years ago.

last i knew the tru sharp was 420hc, and i don't think they get a pass, as many have hammered on case forever on it. if you ask case they tell you, so it's not completely hidden. think of it as marketing for non steel junkies.....

Indeed, as I noted in post 81 (perhaps you missed it).

But since the thread has hit Lazarus status...

Nobody is forcing you to buy a Case. Buy Spyderco and feel like you got what you want.
Never said anyone was forcing me. I was saying based on the relative merits of the knife, spyderco is a better knife for cheaper. That's all. Didnt even say I really like spyderco. Just pointing out there are knives with superior steel, and modern functionality that are cheaper than a lot of case knives, so imo, case knives should be cheaper. You seem to disagree with that statement. So I was making my case(pardon the pun). If case knives makes you happy, cool. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I was saying based on the relative merits of the knife, spyderco is a better knife for cheaper.

Unless one of those merits is being a full sized trapper. I'll tell you what, let's have a competition. I'll see how much cardboard my Case 420HC full sized trapper can cut in 60 seconds and you see how much cardboard your Sypderco VG-10 full sized trapper can cut in 60 seconds. I'll bet I cut more cardboard than you do AND my blades will have better edge retention at the end of it.

Never said anyone was forcing me. I was saying based on the relative merits of the knife, spyderco is a better knife for cheaper. That's all. Didnt even say I really like spyderco. Just pointing out there are knives with superior steel, and modern functionality that are cheaper than a lot of case knives, so imo, case knives should be cheaper. You seem to disagree with that statement. So I was making my case(pardon the pun). If case knives makes you happy, cool. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
I have Spydercos and Case knives. They are completely different knives made for completely different uses. There's no comparison.

I can get a Case Yellow Synthetic Trapper for $30.

That said, this kind of steel is standard for traditionals. Yea you can get better steel at some of the prices traditionals cost. But those modern knives aren’t traditionals. People who want traditionals want traditionals and will pay what it takes. GEC cant cost $200+ for 1095. If you have a problem with that, traditionals aren’t for you.

Last edited:
I have Spydercos and Case knives. They are completely different knives made for completely different uses. There's no comparison.
To me, they are all for cutting. So I want the knife that cuts the best for the longest. If you want something else, say a pretty handle, then case is great.

I can get a Case Yellow Synthetic Trapper for $30.

That said, this kind of steel is standard for traditionals. Yea you can get better steel at some of the prices traditionals cost. But those modern knives aren’t traditionals. People who want traditionals want traditionals and will pay what it takes. GEC cant cost $200+ for 1095. If you have a problem with that, traditionals aren’t for you.
Well it doesn't take case prices to get a traditional with shit steel, if that's what you really have your heart set on.

Unless one of those merits is being a full sized trapper. I'll tell you what, let's have a competition. I'll see how much cardboard my Case 420HC full sized trapper can cut in 60 seconds and you see how much cardboard your Sypderco VG-10 full sized trapper can cut in 60 seconds. I'll bet I cut more cardboard than you do AND my blades will have better edge retention at the end of it.
Yeah I'll take that bet. In what world do you live in where 420hc holds a better edge than vg10? Do the laws of physics cease to be once a knife is in your hand? Because that's the only way that happens. Especially considering the blade geometry of both.
Being a full sized trapper is really convenient if you want a non locking knife in shitty steel, but with a pretty handle. And only that will do. Otherwise, yeah I'll take something else.

A nicely made Case is about as beautiful a knife as you can buy. The fact that is a functional knife, and a damn fine cutter, is all the better. Takes a nice edge and is easy to sharpen. It’s never going to be a Benchmade or Spyderco, but it’s also not trying to be.

I think they are a damn fine bargain for a US made knife in a traditional pattern. Now they do occasionally let out some stinkers, but so does every other manufacturer.

Yeah I'll take that bet. In what world do you live in where 420hc holds a better edge than vg10? Do the laws of physics cease to be once a knife is in your hand? Because that's the only way that happens. Especially considering the blade geometry of both.
Being a full sized trapper is really convenient if you want a non locking knife in shitty steel, but with a pretty handle. And only that will do. Otherwise, yeah I'll take something else.
I think you missed his point. Spyderco doesn’t make a Trapper pattern and likely never will. So if you want that type of knife, you won’t be shopping Spyderco. Give one a try and I bet it will do what you want it to do. Unless you are batoning through logs, or stabbing through steel plate.

Let's do it, I'll give you a week to get your Spyderco made VG-10 full sized trapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back