Why does it seem like no one like the Spyderco Southard

I am considering buying a Spyderco Southard but all the reviews I have read it seems like no one really likes the knife. Are there any of you that own one and could give me some feedback on it?

I got one, my thoughts:
Pros:
- Flips reliable
- Good ergos
- Unusual Blade Shape
- Lots of blade in small package
- Thin ground/slicey

Cons:
- Slight Lock stick
- Subpar Clip
- Smooth but not a free dropper
- Looks a bit awkward with the uneven sides

It's definitely a good and useful EDC, but it's not for everybody either.

I had one. It's a strange knife. The color and shape remind me of a limp hotdog. Flipping was ok. It was the first flipper Spyderco produced (I think) and they didn't really have the mechanism down yet. It lacks the functional Spyderco thumb hole for a tiny cosmetic one. Thats fine with me because it made for a uncharacteristically sleek Spyderco, which was a good thing IMO. However, the knife was unnecessarily thicc. From the side it looks sleek, but its thicc blade and handle made it annoying as a EDC. But I prefer thinner knives. It does have a very original design, and was very well made. Overall it's a solid knife with great materials and build quality, but it missed ticking a few essential boxes for me. I stopped carrying mine and eventually sold it.

Uneven sides (I never got that look) and the brown one is rather unfortunately coloured. That and a hollow/sabre grind which may look cool but certainly won't slice larger stuff well. I have a friend who loved his but I could never like it myself.

A great knife. Looks good like many of Brad Southard's knives. Works just fine IMO. Looks a taf beefy to some but its light weight knife. I think the clip OK (but might be the only one to do so). Spyderco quality, titanium and coyote brown scale - whats not to like.

It lacks the functional Spyderco thumb hole for a tiny cosmetic one.

It is functional. It's a little tricky but it works just fine. You can't flick it with your middle finger though, you need to dig your thumb into the hole and push the blade out.

It is functional. It's a little tricky but it works just fine. You can't flick it with your middle finger though, you need to dig your thumb into the hole and push the blade out.

Was actually opening the knife amongst the problem listed by people not liking the design back when?

I dont have any problems opening my Southard.

Its a great knife, which was wildly anticipated. Many of us liked the look even in the pre-release pics. I for one was not disappointed by the Southard. It remains one of my favorite Spyderco knives.The shitstorm gathered speed after its release, though its a good knife. Its an internet thing.

General observation; Im not saying, that any Spyderco is perfect but in some instances, a few youtbe apostles deliberately get a ball rolling, then lean back and watch the sorry debacle, as people jump on the bandwagon.
Be it an opening mechanism or the case of the Southard or what ever, they choose to latch on to.
For some reason, Spyderco seems to be the target of much of this 'attention.'
Yes, design faults should be pointed out.
No, a company product should not be deliberately trolled.

NB NOT saying you are trolling Spyderco.

I had a Southard a while back. I kinda liked it, but hated the clip. I bought a way-better clip on the Big Auction Site that improved the knife to kinda liked it better.

It seems that some guys love their Southards and some guys hate 'em. I was really ambivalent about mine and eventually moved on.

I guess I'm missing something. :confused: I like Spyderco and have 7 or 8 but, when I compare other knives available in this price range, I just don't get the appeal of the Southard. :(

I liked it too until I got it in hand. 2nd most uncomfortable knife I ever laid hands on. Oh, and lock stick bad - my single biggest knife peeve. But on paper it has most of what I like in a knife. Wish it had panned out. Kind of turned my back on Spyderco and their frame locks after that experience.

I had a brown one that I carried and worked every day for about 8 months. I even replaced the scales with some of my own making. It was, in most respects, a very fine knife. The ergos were all good to me. I thought the shape - open and folded - was distinctive and elegant. What killed it for me ultimately was that it was such a dog of a flipper. I had been spoiled in that regard by other knives. If it had been a more refined flipper I would still own it.

Maybe the flipping action of the 2018 version has been improved. My 2¢.

Ray

I think the flipping action is what put mine on the block too, RayseM RayseM . Once I picked up better flippers that sealed the Southard's fate. Mine went in a partial trade for a Shiro Hati. 'Nuff said.

I picked up one from this site a few years ago, at the time it was the most expensive knife I had purchased. It is my go to casual carry, although now it splits time with my Nirvana. At first I found the A symmetrical look a little off but that didn't bother me long. The knife is solid with a very smooth action. It is my only flipper so I can't compare it to much, but it easily and reliably opens. It is a tad thicker than I like, I wish they would have omitted the tan scale and just went with the Ti frame.
All and all I like the knife and will continue to carry it for a long time to come.

I'm not a fan of internal stop pins. I could never get over the look of the thing.

The only thing I dislike about the knife is the clip, very pokey. But that's easily fixed on the aftermarket.

I love mine since day one.
Great ergo, great steel, love the grind (thin edge, fat spine), friendly bladeshape....
Clip is not ts fancy, but I carry most my knives without them anyway.

And btw, this thread needs some pics :)

2-XS_eWDOSwgDRz7W9Cr0LX2cfniK4QP6Sgftn1cwX-KN8x9A1w1ZY9yzD-v3E35nJO_aH-yCL3cDhyNXbW1qOBU1bs1DNzwLaE02EAbdM9IziJmo8G3WBw7stKnqqF7W6r-fToznYNeF8G8AUTx0wjg8YkP4wvOXzQu_U-OsSdqkPeAb3IaTRaU7thWhTNgQJLJ2FtZbUryfz_zZgJse8psQIoJXRP3_1xuM8WPuG1zornTjI3KF1OvkBejTnU7K0uYqo-Gc7tySOk5423Cy7b04S-ViYfPwjtZGWol6jM_GJXC9o92fqTzCbJ_igt9irpPfFNIZ0WnTHcK1UA7vbCsDlK9yE-OmCuS_G5qJYkFI4YnZkaJw-bn4J7WYEuu2kzcMmRxzPdEiprx_mfNVHdC8VbM-0decBHmEN914yGt77e-VVe1rd7_w3thhN_FrWGp8p-joQUOhr-7sJ1qjWvr_c9FTbCzuAtyTRQ-35v_sUUVHSjiuSFBxBzsZkPQ1cWz6zfSMBTmxPNU7NyyETOhbm2lYjl2brWXW3dTPIFBNfc_c19HDVGwphXcKuGhivdRbid8Dz7-xUffxPHJ5Y4Vi98uhYKk7bXY-Ng=w800-h533-no

Back