Why does it seem like no one like the Spyderco Southard

I never really considered my Southard a knife I would pry with. I don’t consider it a “hard use” knife. So I don’t know how I would snap it.

That said, I agree it was defintely a design oversight the way they did the internal stop pin design.

I've seen Sal complain about designs getting changed/FUBARed once they hit production, makes me wonder if this is another example.

For me it fell almost I to a ZT category so why not just get a ZT...and also it didn't quite perform as well asy other Spydercos...too heavy, blade too thick, didn't cut as well, didn't carry as well.

I think most people on this forum underestimate just how strong hardened steel is. As a result there has been a huge influx of "overbuilt" folders in the last decade. They're not my thing. I've never been a fan of ZT for that reason. It is very unlikely to have a blade break like that. But even so I agree it could have been designed better. No doubt thats why the Southard had such a thick blade to begin with.

Mine is extremely well made and flips well. The ability to open it with the thumb hole as well as by flipper is very important to me. The blade steel is better than that with most folders. I wish the handle were a bit longer, but many like a handle not much longer than the blade.
While I don t carry it too often, I think it is a fine edc.

I was on the fence about the Southard. Then they were heavily discounted when the went on the disco'd list and I couldn't resist. Mine has a strong detent so it flips great. No problems with the bearings, lock stick, etc and I find the handle shape to fit my hand nicely. I guess my only complaint is that I have to use the flipper tab to open it because the detent's too strong to use the hole. One of these days I'll get around to reprofiling mine and using it more.

rj2bI59.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect that the Southard Flipper hadn't been produced for some time before "Advogate" happened. I don't think it existed long enough for CQI to have an effect, which is a shame. It might have benefited from work on the clip, lock access, lock face, detent, blade grind and blade thickness.

I look at the line of Spyderco discontinued knives and have mixed emotions. I see a bunch that just missed (like the Southard Flipper) and a bunch that were perfect but cost too much to make (like the Slysz Bowie). I imagine what could have been in a perfect world. Imagine if the Southard was refined and improved? Imagine if the Slysz Bowie were offered in premium sprint runs?

It's similar to how many licks will it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Roll Pop. ONE...TWO...THREE. THREE.
I guess the world will never know.

Actually, not true on the CQI. I bought one from a dealer when they went on sale when it was discontinued. They definitely had upgraded the bearing system and added rigid steel washers. How you would ensure nabbing one of these later models may be a bit of a challenge, now that it’s discontinued, but some are out there.

Mine flipped very well, had perfect fit and finish, not a hint of lockstick, and was delightfully thin behind the edge. I’ve also never found one where the Spydie hole wasn’t totally functional. I wound up selling it because, we’ll I wanted something else I reckon, but I still have a soft spot for the Southard and watch for them on the exchange.

Yt4nc71.jpg

iVluqsq.jpg

(Edge at 15 degrees per side, btw)

Last edited:
And to think that spyderco fanboys kept pushing the Southard over the ZT 0561 when it came out .

I love the look of the Southard. I miss the one I sold. One day when the time is right I'll get one again, and install the upgraded bearing cage. Just a cool classy knife.

Any chance of a Southard 2? :D

Actually, not true on the CQI. I bought one from a dealer when they went on sale when it was discontinued. They definitely had upgraded the bearing system and added rigid steel washers. How you would ensure nabbing one of these later models may be a bit of a challenge, now that it’s discontinued, but some are out there.

Mine flipped very well, had perfect fit and finish, not a hint of lockstick, and was delightfully thin behind the edge. I’ve also never found one where the Spydie hole wasn’t totally functional. I wound up selling it because, we’ll I wanted something else I reckon, but I still have a soft spot for the Southard and watch for them on the exchange.

Yt4nc71.jpg

iVluqsq.jpg

(Edge at 15 degrees per side, btw)
Good to know! I may see if I can get upgraded bearings for mine.

I carry one more often than not. It carries pretty small and light for how much blade it provides, and I love the ergos. I'm not a fan of the stock scale or pocket clip, but those are pretty easy to fix with all the options available.

I like to switch up styles regularly, for the fun of it, and so I have a small pile of them. Here are a few photos:

9Mlo4Ty.jpg

bcj4rru.jpg

P0vPQAF.jpg

OZWZ7nW.jpg

3hc9TAD.jpg

4OHYxMo.jpg

I carry one more often than not. It carries pretty small and light for how much blade it provides, and I love the ergos. I'm not a fan of the stock scale or pocket clip, but those are pretty easy to fix with all the options available.

I like to switch up styles regularly, for the fun of it, and so I have a small pile of them. Here are a few photos:

9Mlo4Ty.jpg

bcj4rru.jpg

P0vPQAF.jpg

OZWZ7nW.jpg

3hc9TAD.jpg

4OHYxMo.jpg

Great variations! Definitely reminded me of two of my favorite things about the Southard: superlative cutting edge to overall length ratio and extremely compact carry in pocket.

The pocket clip is definitely a week point, but how the whole package carries is like a dream.

To answer the op bluntly: it doesn't cut, it doesn't flip.

A bit more details:
The blade grind is … tragic. And the spine is too thick. The pivot had the too thin washers. Not sure if new ones have new CQI pivots.

I have the all black version; I don't EDC it that frequently only because I find it to be an exceedingly aesthetically pleasing knife and I would hate to scratch it. It is my first choice in "dress flippers". It does everything a flipper should do: I can open it via my thumb and the Spydie hole, or the tab; it locks up early and solidly; centering is just about perfect; it flips easily and quickly; the blade steel takes and holds a nice edge.

I've never had a problem with the bearings or anything else.

Nice to see some more Southard love aroud here :D
Mine does everything I expect a knife to do without any issues.

DdaxnWyYHrC4JZuRQViEAFI8XXi426RKyeMt3wEP2X5-pf8qDYpWh3mvKLGgIdSFXL_3ZmHddN_v7RIxvh3qebTu86E6IqTugoXRIQ6O8yv3s4LLb9zAzPiZWd26X9U7tJ7jVy-0Vzp-53agarWRNFp7Q0IJ5_hKVGvwyOG0rfPefy8UHBg8GHswsSoppnTaFuYulvwwLGWuyCSeDuQioVLtQxKVbpkyZppiIg58dQ_pVyr7h0qQFnbSmY8eDqv5TK5b3DNhQ4oQfjfXQ1X5e9GnO3RpGq4v0VSyzmp-bn3Ik_zy73W7UPMQVnVCrYglcJiBu2WxJUN39YJ2qGi16qR-tBUxuUijWhcMF1WFxNenF_NcVMHR9-Q6NO_8tqnigqY6oenAIrU96aIosBvNgDv5MjYIrEUudeWuJaaSVQUeq2V32o-MCu2Emjf_4KLUowNtTbU-oQ1wJ_xwnNTJscTT_CUX-kDJbIkps9lz56oI33PwlJ7KorNx8REy2cJhlo0IkaCOwZNmdq22c5cBbfNB_qXGC_cm2VS99tqh_b6NcYvf0boOfjJY0iZ-Pu3DFntzyCOr_ok1rnjU_qM_8MB2HT3mJ14KzEIp1dU=w800-h533-no

Back