Why does it seem like no one like the Spyderco Southard

I had a brown one that I carried and worked every day for about 8 months. I even replaced the scales with some of my own making. It was, in most respects, a very fine knife. The ergos were all good to me. I thought the shape - open and folded - was distinctive and elegant. What killed it for me ultimately was that it was such a dog of a flipper. I had been spoiled in that regard by other knives. If it had been a more refined flipper I would still own it.

Maybe the flipping action of the 2018 version has been improved. My 2¢.

Ray

I think the flipping action is what put mine on the block too, @RayseM. Once I picked up better flippers that sealed the Southard's fate. Mine went in a partial trade for a Shiro Hati. 'Nuff said.

I must have the odd one out, as my Southard flips smoothly.

It's a bit too expensive.

When compared with other flipper folders, ZT, etc. I thought it was overpriced. I'm old school so am more used to opening a Spydie with a hole than with a flipper tab.

Because of the high price it has been cloned by others so you have to be very careful when buying one that you are getting the real deal and not a cheap knockoff.

Last edited:
When compared with other assisted folders, ZT, etc.
I agree with most of what you said except the above. The southard is not assisted and not are most zts. Not sure what assisted has to do with anything. Did you mean something else like flipper?

The flipping action on my Southard wasn't lacking in smoothness, BladeScout BladeScout , it was, how shall I say it, reluctant and required a bit too much technique. I didn't hate the knife--as I said, I kinda liked it. Just not something I wanted to keep.

And you're right, @knoefz , there aren't enough pics here. For those who might be interested, here's the clip I added to mine which improved the knife in hand and in and out of pocket.

1DeziqT.jpg

Taking all things into account, the Southard is probably my favorite knife.

Yes, there are some quirks. First, it’s definately a push-button flipper. It took me a bit to figure that out, as I was used to ZT. The action is different, and not quite as snappy. That said, my specimens flip just fine, without wrist, etc. (see below).

Then there is the asymmetry of the scales...honestly it’s a quirk I find enduring. I like the earth brown and the black. Heck, I’m even ok with the pocket clip. The fit & finish of my samples is amazing...perfectly centered, perfectly champfered on every corner, yummy stonewash and a beautiful high hollow grind!

I like the knife so much I have three. The brown is my favorite, so much so I keep a backup in my safe, NIB. When I saw them on closeout, I couldn’t help but pick up a black one. It was all I could do to not pick up more! 204p, Ti, super well executed G-10. Awesome.

I had one problem with the washers on my brown user. Somehow the nylon of the washers swelled (bad lube choice? IDK?) and wouldn’t spin in their pockets. A little 1000 grit around the washer margins and it flips better than ever. @therealPlatonicForms offers a washer kit as insurance against washer catastrophe (I have a kit on hand, but no need to install it.)

Can you tell I love it?

CF233102-583C-49DC-A738-5001FADAD09D.jpeg A2A50FFF-5E46-4A10-A350-A8B67D742ACD.jpeg

ETA: Forgot to add, sometimes I’ve seen LNIB samles on the exchange in the $150-170 range. Amazing bargain at that price, IMO.

Last edited:
I have the black one. I like mine, I like the blade shape and I find the feel and the carry are both good. It took a while to figure out the flip action, it's like flicking a light switch.

I think a lot of people who were disappointed wanted a fidget spinner sort of lightning flipper vs. this.

I think the best advice for anyone who feels they might want one is to try and get one in hand before buying to decide if it's really your thing.

It's a hunk of junk IMO. I loved the look of it, got it in hand and said NOPE. From the horrendous pocket clip, to the weird and just not good flipping action, too thick behind the edge (at least on my version), can't spydie flick it, the bearing system in it sucked back before Spyderco made all of the changes to their bearings this year, it was uncomfortable, the list goes on.

I guess I'm an exception when it comes to the Southard, BD_01 BD_01 , considering my ambivalence toward the knife. Most attitudes seem to run to love it or hate it. I'm glad you love yours, though, and you're right--the stonewash is yummy! :)

The Southard is a thing pf beauty.

It works just as intended, smooth flipper action and flicks open easily using the hole, should one so desire.

Besides, who doesnt like brown!

Q59Dy1H.jpg

Several years ago I traded away a beautiful old pivot CRK Zaan, for a southard and a gentleman Jim. It was by far the dumbest move I have ever made in my years of collecting, and I don't even remember what happened to the spyderco, but I hated the clip, and it just felt cheap. I think it may be in one of my fishing bags somewhere.

I must say that I have seen very few knives which bring out such a range of opinions about details and the overall knife. :cool: What a diverse community we have here. :thumbsup:

I just have a strong preference for USA made knives. It’s the only reason I haven’t tried a Southard. I did have one of the Southard AVOs. But I didn’t really love it.

I was excited about this knife when it was first announced. Several things put me off:

1. Didn't like the clip, plus the unusual screw arrangement mean't fewer aftermarket alternatives. A two popular online reviewers often state, you use the clip 100% of the time, but you use the blade just a small fraction of that. So thoughtful design, styling and engineering in a clip is much appreciated.

2. Beige/tan or whatever fancy tactical color name (coyote, desert sand) colored scale. Just not my cup of tea.

3. G10 over travel stop. Again, don't like the color but also don't like the g10. Prefer a contrasting titanium piece.

4. Reported flipping action has been from great to mediocre to bad. Indication of QC or design issues? If I buy a flipper I want it to flip, period.

5. Reported pivot system issues? Some report it's great, some have reported issues. Again, indication of QC or design issues? I don't want to deal with it.

6. For the price, there are a whole lot of awesome brands and models out there. I'd rather spend my money on something that checks all my boxes.

On a positive note, I'm glad Spyderco is continuing to develop flipper style knives. Also glad to see them trying to develop clips that match the overall design of some knives (as opposed to slapping on their standard OTS hourglass clip). Hope they apply their CQI philosophy to this model.

Last edited:
I was excited about this knife when it was first announced. Several things put me off:

1. Didn't like the clip, plus the unusual screw arrangement mean't fewer aftermarket alternatives. A two popular online reviewers often state, you use the clip 100% of the time, but you use the blade just a small fraction of that. So thoughtful design, styling and engineering in a clip is much appreciated.

2. Beige/tan or whatever fancy tactical color name (coyote, desert sand) colored scale. Just not my cup of tea.

3. G10 over travel stop. Again, don't like the color but also don't like the g10. Prefer a contrasting titanium piece.

4. Reported flipping action has been from great to mediocre to bad. Indication of QC or design issues? If I buy a flipper I want it to flip, period.

5. Reported pivot system issues? Some report it's great, some have reported issues. Again, indication of QC or design issues? I don't want to deal with it.

On a positive note, I'm glad Spyderco is continuing to develop flipper style knives. Also glad to see them trying to develop clips that match the overall design of some knives (as opposed to slapping on their standard OTS hourglass clip). Hope they apply their CQI philosophy to this model.
Assume you didnt buy it then, since you didnt like the look of the coyote brown scale and a host of other design features?

These 'popular online reviewers' you quote, does one of them start with an 'A' and end with a 'P'?

Assume you didnt buy it then, since you didnt like the look of the coyote brown scale and a host of other design features?

These 'popular online reviewers' you quote, does one of them start with an 'A' and end with a 'P'?

Hi BladeScout:

1. Correct, I didn't buy. I like Brad Southards knives and was excited to fidget with one for an evening. If I could've changed clip to a better looking deep carry and changed the scale at the time, I probably would have ordered one.
2. One of the reviewers has a chicken for their logo;) As for the other I dimly recall the name Shazaam or something like that. I'm not sure the one you mention said it but wouldn't doubt it because by now I've heard several reviewers describing clips the same way.

Back