Why does Victorinox play hard to get with the perfect SAK?

If you want tweezers, put a pair of Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers on your keyring. They are superior to what Victorinox makes and then you have no reason to eschew the Alox models. I've had a pair for about 20 years that I bought from Brigade Quartermaster. I've used them countless times and they actually get splinters out.

If you want tweezers, put a pair of Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers on your keyring. They are superior to what Victorinox makes and then you have no reason to eschew the Alox models. I've had a pair for about 20 years that I bought from Brigade Quartermaster. I've used them countless times and they actually get splinters out.

Not a chance. Our officers are quite strict on what we should not bring outfield for training in the forests, with keys and wallets being near the top of the list. So no keyring-attachable tweezers.

Victorinox is going to have to pry the tweezers from my SAK out of my dead cold hands. :p

I'm sorry your regulations have doomed you to settling for inferior personal care gear.

I don't need a "perfect" SAK. I enjoy most of the single and double layer Victorinox models. If I need a knife blade with a particular type of steel, or a special tool such as a magnifying glass, I can buy exactly what I want and stick it into my pocket, along with a SAK.

I don't need a "perfect" SAK. I enjoy most of the single and double layer Victorinox models. If I need a knife blade with a particular type of steel, or a special tool such as a magnifying glass, I can buy exactly what I want and stick it into my pocket, along with a SAK.

I love one-layer SAKs. Heck, I have all of the large one-layer SAKs (Sentinel series and Alpineer series).

But under ideal circumstances, if I'm going to choose between a one-layer SAK or a modern folder, I'd much rather pick the modern folder. I feel like the one-layer exists to fill a huge need where people want to just carry a basic folding knife that has a Swiss cross logo on it to make it look more acceptable and less intimidating to non-knife people and authorities. Unfortunately, we live in a world where appearances matter, so the one-layer SAK is a godsend.

The two-layer SAKs are perfect for a lightweight multitool but I can't get over how it feels sorta unbalanced when using the blade. The layer housing the blade is usually somewhat heavier than the underside, which make overall feel just that little odd.

The three-layer is a mixed bag. Those can be horribly unbalanced to near perfectly balanced, depending on the types of tools installed in each layer. For aesthetic reasons, I love three-layer SAKs which have the blade installed in the middle layer. Most of my large three-layer SAKs are models featuring a center blade.

I'm sorry your regulations have doomed you to settling for inferior personal care gear.

Bah. Soldiers don't need to know about personal care. They just need to know how to fill the enemy with bullet holes. :D

I kid. But in all seriousness, standing orders are there for a reason and I have no desire to question them. Although I do subvert some of the more outlandish orders. Discreetly, of course.

I love one-layer SAKs. Heck, I have all of the large one-layer SAKs (Sentinel series and Alpineer series).

But under ideal circumstances, if I'm going to choose between a one-layer SAK or a modern folder, I'd much rather pick the modern folder. I feel like the one-layer exists to fill a huge need where people want to just carry a basic folding knife that has a Swiss cross logo on it to make it look more acceptable and less intimidating to non-knife people and authorities. Unfortunately, we live in a world where appearances matter, so the one-layer SAK is a godsend.
[snip]…..
When I carry a (single layer) Vic Bantam, it is not because it looks non intimidating; it is because it has a bottle opener and screwdriver. I may opt to carry a heavier GEC Boys Knife Crown Lifter or a Case Mini Trapper bottle opener model instead, or I may carry a Bantam in addition to a traditional slipjoint folder.

I looked up your Uncle Bill's Silver Grippers. I suspect they work well, but I'm not going to add another occasional use item to my pockets that already have too much junk in them. I'll stick with the Vic SAK with it's tweezer limitations. It isn't like I use the tweezers every day or even every week.

I also like the Bantam. I also carry it primarily for its tools along with a larger slip joint that has no tools.

Idk. They still put the keyring on the wrong side of the SAK classic too. The way it is made the knife opens towards the keys. I guess they figure the scissors are the primary tool and knife is incidental.

8838464339998_celum_101062_560Wx490H.jpg

This annoys me a lot. The Classic, Signature, Executive, etc. I can't enjoy them properly this way. I love the key ring, but on the opposite side as the main blade, please.

image.jpeg I use the SAK toothpick for spearing hors d'oeuvres. For dental picking work, I much prefer a curved, tapered stainless pick. It can push and pull to dislodge stuck food.

I understand the Mall of America in Minnesota has a custom Vic shop, if you ever get there, they'll put together a knife with the exact tools that you want.
Can anyone confirm this? If true someone nearby could set up a service taking custom orders, fulfilling them at the store and mailing them out. I'd be a customer! I've modded a couple of SAK's but there is stuff I'd love to do which requires modding skills that I don't have. My current dream is an alox 93mm version of the Spartan with the thicker 93mm blades (big and small), a pruner blade instead of the can opener and the correct back tools. I'd be paying for it through the nose if I ever commissioned one, that's some considerable custom work, especially as the thicker small blade no longer exists on any model and the springs would have to be made from scratch.

Small Tinker with a serrated main blade and serrated scissors....:D:p:D
John

Can anyone confirm this? If true someone nearby could set up a service taking custom orders, fulfilling them at the store and mailing them out...

I don’t know if this *was* true, but as I understand it the Victorinox store in Mall of America has closed.

I have the PERFECT SAK!! I have the EVO S18.....at least it's perfect for me!! EDC,use it quite a bit....I ck.the SAK forum weekly ...to ck.up on JK'S frustration!LOL....told him to get a S18 & his SAK problems are soved! I have no burning desire to have any other SAK.

"Perfect" for one, is not necessarily "perfect" for two.

As far as I am concerned, they could eliminate the corkscrew and pen bade of the Huntsman, and relocate the punch/awl to where the pen blade was. That would be closer to "perfect" for me.

So far as I am aware, the "perfect" knife does not exist, any more than the "perfect" anything does.

I don't worry about the covers, to he honest.
My Huntsman and matching Signature (they came as a set) are circa 2000 or 2001. My then employer gave them to me as a Christmas gift.
The (translucent red) celidor (spelling?) covers are all intact and damage free. They may have a scratch or three, but so what? Some of my other knives have scratched covers and/or bolsters, too. Both have been dropped onto pavement and stone/ceramic floors, who knows how many times.
If I ever need to replace the covers aftermarket nylon, CF, Titanium, copper, or standard celidor (spelling?) covers are available. The nylon and celidor (spelling?) covers even cost less than a replacement Huntsman or Signature does/would. :D

Back