Why does Victorinox play hard to get with the perfect SAK?

The larger sizes (91mm) are assembled with 1/8” diameter, internally threaded (#2X56TPI) barrels by customizers who also enlarge the blade pivot holes to accommodate such barrels. They fabricate the handle slabs and scavenge parts from usually new knives.

I'd like a Recruit modified to a single layer with only the two blades, no keyring. Wonder how difficult that would be to accomplish?

I'd like a Recruit modified to a single layer with only the two blades, no keyring. Wonder how difficult that would be to accomplish?
Not that hard at all, I've done a couple of these with Spartans.

sakmod_5.jpg

Not that hard at all, I've done a couple of these with Spartans.

sakmod_5.jpg

Nicely done. Removing the rivets and replacing them seems to be the most difficult part of the process, or am I missing something? Taking into consideration only removing a few tools without getting too fancy?

Last edited:
A Pocket Pal fits the brief perfectly. The Excelsior is still available new and is the same as the Pocket Pal, but with a keyring that can filed off.

A Pocket Pal fits the brief perfectly. The Excelsior is still available new and is the same as the Pocket Pal, but with a keyring that can filed off.

It does, but it doesn’t feel quite as sturdy as the Recruit.

Nicely done. Removing the rivets and replacing them seems to be the most difficult part of the process, or am I missing something? Taking into consideration only removing a few tools without getting too fancy?
Drill out the pins just enough to free up and remove the opener layer then you should have plenty pin left to rivet down and close it back up again. It really is about the easiest SAK mod you can do. The outside pins are 2.5mm but the inside is 2.2mm so keep that in mind when choosing drill bits. The pins rivet down inside the brass collar, don't ruin or lose those or it's time to buy a new sak to work from.

I think they could just create a Custom Shop, in which the user selects his own configuration and they just build it. The rarer production models could then be discontinued in favor of the more popular ones. Configurations that are very frequently requested could be made into production models.

I feel like Victorinox is focusing so much on diversifying their assets (luggage, fragrances, watches) that they are letting their core business languish. Getting a bit too slow to react to the market demands.

I think they could just create a Custom Shop, in which the user selects his own configuration and they just build it. The rarer production models could then be discontinued in favor of the more popular ones. Configurations that are very frequently requested could be made into production models.

I feel like Victorinox is focusing so much on diversifying their assets (luggage, fragrances, watches) that they are letting their core business languish. Getting a bit too slow to react to the market demands.
What market demands? A small minority on blade forums where even the majority here are really happy with their SAK's? Or is it the general market whom they're selling 20+ million knives a year to? If that's 'languishing' then I'd hate to see the term used for all the modern knife manufacturers, those really in touch with the most modern trends, whose sales combined can't begin to approach that number.

Last edited:
What market demands? A small minority on blade forums where even the majority here are really happy with their SAK's? Or is it the general market whom they're selling 20+ million knives a year to? If that's 'languishing' then I'd hate to see the term used for all the modern knife manufacturers, those really in touch with the most modern trends, whose sales combined can't begin to approach that number.
There's no doubt that they sell a lot of knives.

They slowly roll out new models based on what they think will sell. They could be rolling out models based on what they KNOW will sell.

What they're missing is opportunity for growth, and not just slow growth.

There's no doubt that they sell a lot of knives.

They slowly roll out new models based on what they think will sell. They could be rolling out models based on what they KNOW will sell.

What they're missing is opportunity for growth, and not just slow growth.
They're Swiss, a family owned business. They take the long view and change very very slowly if at all. Helped by not having any stock holders to impress. Who says they're looking for growth of their knife department? Have they ever followed trends in the knife business? They've established trends rather than follow them.

They're Swiss, a family owned business. They take the long view and change very very slowly if at all. Helped by not having any stock holders to impress. Who says they're looking for growth of their knife department? Have they ever followed trends in the knife business? They've established trends rather than follow them.
Good points, Pomsbz. They're doing well for themselves.

Good points, Pomsbz. They're doing well for themselves.
Yup. I have a sister in law who lives in Zurich. The Swiss don't really do 'new' much and change happens very very very slowly. Or at least that's how it appears. Oh and they make incredible sausages. :)

Last edited:
Back