Why doesn't Spyderco replace blades?

You do realize this thread has been dead and buried for three years, right?

Yes, they do. The question is why they decide to chip in their two cents on a subject that was a dead horse before they joined. Other knife companies do this. Wootles for them. Spyderco can't afford to. Deal with it.

Our industrialized society counts on repair parts being available, but in more recent years with products coming from more and more countries there are some products that we view as being throw-away. Manufacturers and consumers each make their own decisions regarding products, personally I will view a throw-away product with less interest than a product that I know I can repair and keep operating, and I will only purchase such a product if they are less expensive. So when a company makes the decision to save money by not providing repair parts, they also reduce the value and pricing of their products. I don't know how many people break blades or worry about it but if there was a good chance of breaking a blade and making your knife a throw-away, you probably wouldn't pay as much for it as you would a knife from a brand that would support you with repair parts.

I don't know how many people break blades or worry about it but if there was a good chance of breaking a blade and making your knife a throw-away, you probably wouldn't pay as much for it as you would a knife from a brand that would support you with repair parts.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Personally, I would not purchase any knife if I thought there was a "good chance" of breaking a blade, regardless of whether replacements were available. I might even be less inclined to trust a knife whose manufacturer felt the need to sell replacement blades. Had a really cheap FB snap at the hilt, back when I was a kid, but I've carried a pocketknife damn near every day for almost sixty years and have yet to break a blade.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Personally, I would not purchase any knife if I thought there was a "good chance" of breaking a blade, regardless of whether replacements were available. I might even be less inclined to trust a knife whose manufacturer felt the need to sell replacement blades. Had a really cheap FB snap at the hilt, back when I was a kid, but I've carried a pocketknife damn near every day for almost sixty years and have yet to break a blade.

Exactly.
What idiotic things are people doing where they need new blades?
I use my knives, and have even done the occasional stupid thing with them, and I have yet to need a new blade.
Kids these days (obligatory "old man" moment:D).

Dude, I'm a spyderco lover and that is a legitimate argument. When you pay a few hundred dollars for a knife, it's nice to know that if you get a little aggressive and damage the blade that you can start over. I appreciate benchmade's policy on this. I love spyderco but honestly I think this policy really sucks. All other knife makers I know do it. Hell, Chris Reeve even does it. It's part of what you buy in when you buy a knife knowing the manufacture can always make it right even if I have to pay a few dollars ($20 for benchmade) to pretty much get a new knife.

I believe it's 25.00 non-coated 35.00 coated per blade. Not that it matters anyway. They determined mine was not broken from abuse, as it was broke along a serration on the Rukus, and hence even after EDC'ing everyday for 2.5 years creating metal fatuige along a stress riser, it finally snapping was somehow covered. I offered to pay but in no way threatened or otherwise twisted anyone's arm. Yes this is a silly post, and I am on the search for a unique Para Mili 2. Which will be my second Spyderco knife. The last one purchased was over a decade ago. Hence my prowling the Spyderco arena. (what kind of post was this?) LOL!

Stocking replacement parts for knives produced in other countries would be an additional corporate expense and in some situations may not be possible (I remember reading that Japan only allows exportation of certain steels on "finished" products...not sure if a blade meets that criterion). Having said that, it is somewhat disappointing that Spyderco has a blanket policy of not replacing blades. For models produced in Golden (where warranty service is rendered) and made of "common" materials, it shouldn't be an issue to replace a blade. I would certainly think twice about using a "higher end" knife for EDC knowing I couldn't replace the blade if broken or worn out from constant use/sharpening.

Exactly.
I use my knives, and have even done the occasional stupid thing with them, and I have yet to need a new blade.

Some people can and have lost all reason when laying down their new knife on the Edge Pro. I've read about it happening on $400+ knives too.

I loved the fact that I was able to buy a mint Bradley Alias 1 with a broken blade (about an inch and a half missing) for very little money and ship it to Benchmade. They fixed it for $25 and shipped it back to me free of charge.
I'm a big Spyderco fan, and I'm sure they've given this plenty of thought, but I don't understand why Benchmade can and Spyderco can't offer such a service. The fact that most of their knives are foreign-produced may have something to do with it but doesn't fully explain it.

I hope never to need it though, I take good care of my blades. :D

I hope never to need it though, I take good care of my blades. :D

Even being kinda dumb with blades shouldn't require a replacement.
My brother has used the titanium Military he got from me to:
-Chip ice (from a block of ice)
-Dig out tree roots
-Cut lots of plastic of every type

The only damage came to the tip when he ended up slashing it into a steel pipe. That knocked a tad of the tip off.
So, I just retipped it, and if you didn't measure the blade for length, you wouldn't even know it (yeah, I'm that awesome:))

Exactly.

Dunno, sharpen a lot? My black millie(first spydie) already has a slight recurve near the tang. You can also take a look at Yablanowitz's s90v millie.

Yes, they do. The question is why they decide to chip in their two cents on a subject that was a dead horse before they joined. Other knife companies do this. Wootles for them. Spyderco can't afford to. Deal with it.

You deal with it. Spyderco can't afford to? That is a bunch of BS.

I don't think anyone here is in a position to judge wether or not Spyderco can afford to reblade knives at affordable prices.

Spyderco is constantly making changes to models that they think improves the knife. Plus how many different models have they produced over the last 30 years? Keeping blades for all those different knives really isn't very feasible. If a knife breaks that was not the users fault, it is easier and cheaper to give them a brand new shiny knife. It may not be the best solution but it certainly is the easiest.

Why are we still posting in a 3 year old thread that was dredged up to disagree with someone?

Edit: the wonderful thing about living in a free country, if you don't like something then don't do it. If you don't like that Spyderco doesn't replace blades, then don't buy them. No one was guranteed replacement blades. People have been bitching about Spydercos decision on this subject a long time. You weren't the first and won't be the last to complain about it. I doubt anything changes as they made their decision many years ago.

Last edited:
I've been turned down by Benchmade because they didn't have the blade any more. CRK no longer has BG-42 blades and if they haven't run out of blades for the Regular Sebenza will be running out at some point in the not-too-distant future, at which point there won't be replacements for the Regular style. No one keeps parts on hand forever.

Dude, I'm a spyderco lover and that is a legitimate argument. When you pay a few hundred dollars for a knife, it's nice to know that if you get a little aggressive and damage the blade that you can start over. I appreciate benchmade's policy on this. I love spyderco but honestly I think this policy really sucks. All other knife makers I know do it. Hell, Chris Reeve even does it. It's part of what you buy in when you buy a knife knowing the manufacture can always make it right even if I have to pay a few dollars ($20 for benchmade) to pretty much get a new knife.

Back