Why don’t you like flippers?

Kind of off topic, this thread had me wondering who invented the flipper?

I quickly scanned a 2001 thread, but did they ever nail down the original designer?

I used to not like flippers as much. I don’t really know exactly why they just didn’t appeal to me. But now I love them and actually prefer them:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I’ve noticed that there are no shortage of people who have an adversion to flippers.

Out of curiosity- can some of you who are not fans of this feature tell me why you don’t like them?

Some people seem to be pretty adamant about it so I’m sure there are some good reasons you can share with the rest of us.

Thanks!
I hate Flippers.
My Grail is a Flipper.
I hate Flippers.
One of my favorite Ti handled knives is a Flipper.
I hate Flippers.
IMG_5318.JPG

The last knife I purchased (just this week) is a flipper.
I hate Flippers.
I'm going to rehandle it from the super thin G-10 to fairly fat Ebony.
IMG_5536.jpg

I hate Flippers . . .
. . . it's complicated.
I simply love this Brad Zinker Urban Trapper . . . with a bit more flesh on it's bones. Faten 'em up good is my MO.
IMG_5543.JPG

Nah . . . I suppose I don't actually hate flippers and liner / frame locks . . . it is just that I like Compression locks more, a lot more, but my main man Mr. Zinker does the flipper liner lock thing. I like opening it just fine but I like closing the Compression lock mobeddah.

Most of the Flippers I see have blades that are way too thick and the handles are too much in every direction. The Urban Trapper fattened up is " It " so I don't buy other flippers. I only flirt with other knives to get the higher grade steel. If Brad ever put an M4 blade in an Urban Trapper with a compression lock I just might dump all my other knives and never look back.

Last edited:
I hated flippers until I bought a BTK Swordfish about 10 days ago. Now I kind of like flippers.

I hated flippers until I bought a BTK Swordfish about 10 days ago. Now I kind of like flippers.
I had to look that up.
What the heck; I may as well drag the photo on here so others can see one.
What color d'ya get ?
images-2.jpeg

I like it ! It's some where between my Urban Trapper and my Pattada. Has the best of both :thumbsup:

I find non flippers easier and faster to open then flippers-too much getting my fingers just right.

Flippers are fine; I have had plenty of them and really enjoy them when done right.
I am critical of some of them, however, that have the tab sticking way up...that's ignorant. And when they are open, of course it sticks down so far that the knife is useless in the kitchen... just my two cents.

There is the disadvantage that they tend to get in the way in another way though. They prevent you from cutting with the heel of the blade against a flat board.

Some flipper designs like the upcoming Smock don’t have protuding flippers that cause this problem.

Most folding knives don’t let the edge lay flat against a cutting board like a kitchen knife but a flipper tab makes it worse.

That’s what kitchen knives are for.

I 100% do not understand using folding pocket knives for food prep; you have to clean it before and after, dry it, and there are many more crevices for gunk to get into with a folding knife.

If I found myself frequently using a folding knife for food prep, I would get a small fixed blade ASAP.

I find non flippers easier and faster to open then flippers-too much getting my fingers just right.

I think that’s a matter of practice. Just from exposure and fiddling, I find I open flippers the fastest and most naturally.

There is definitely a learning curve; I have had flippers that I thought were 100% impervious to user error until I handed them to my GF and she somehow magically got them to open only halfway.

- No inherent restrictions on blade or handle design. No concerns about placement or accessibility of thumbstuds or holes.
- Built-in finger guard, which can be helpful for one-handed closing.
- Aforementioned lack of thumbstuds also means no bunching of materials around a post on the blade.
Great points. Flippers without thumb studs are universally more appealing to me than any kind of thumb stud knives. (Studs are, IMO, obsolete.)

The finger guard concept usually works well, though it often means you can't get a sensible finger choil. Neither feature is essential, though I find myself favoring knives with good choils.

Front flippers when done well seem to be the best of both worlds, though once I figured out how to middle-finger-flick my hole-openers the front flip lost its edge.

There are some front flippers that achieve a streamlined profile better than the spyder-hump, but just as many with other problems.

That’s what kitchen knives are for.

I 100% do not understand using folding pocket knives for food prep; you have to clean it before and after, dry it, and there are many more crevices for gunk to get into with a folding knife.

If I found myself frequently using a folding knife for food prep, I would get a small fixed blade ASAP.

Definitely folding knives are not ideal for food. Get a little fruit juice on the detent and there goes that smooth action.

Peeling apples it is easy to get that sticky juice on the detent. Seems like most time there is an issue with a knife’s pivot it doesn’t need more oil, it needs the detent ball and track cleaned.

I think that’s a matter of practice. Just from exposure and fiddling, I find I open flippers the fastest and most naturally.

There is definitely a learning curve; I have had flippers that I thought were 100% impervious to user error until I handed them to my GF and she somehow magically got them to open only halfway.

I can see that as a possibility, but at this point I will never know. I have tried them a number of times, and believe I have given them a fair trial. They just haven't worked out as well as non flippers for me. I sold one this week, and have completely sworn off them-never again . Just don't seem to be for me.

I prefer thumb studs. Just seems quicker and more natural to me but I have many flippers and they don't bother me at all.

Mike

...Peeling apples it is easy to get that sticky juice on the detent. Seems like most time there is an issue with a knife’s pivot it doesn’t need more oil, it needs the detent ball and track cleaned.
Man you should wash the apple and eat the skins!
So says my man Jim Stoppani on youtube. ( he has a 3 min video you should check out on this )
Polyphenols are micronutrients that we get through certain plant-based foods. They're packed with antioxidants and potential health benefits. It's thought that polyphenols can improve or help treat digestion issues, weight management difficulties, diabetes, neurodegenerative disease, and cardiovascular diseases.

I like the smoothness of flipper knives. Maybe the ones on bearings. I never could get to like the action on my hinderer xm18 flippers. Cant stand a sluggish action flipper.
The last flipper I had was the Emerson cqc7 flipper and the action was fantastic, I just think 3 opening mechanisms for a knife is excessive. I really like the design on the
new Williams blade design knife, but it looks like the tab sticks out a lot and the deep carry clip is going to be tough to dig out of pocket, then regrip to use flipper, I kind of
like this one but will probably pass.
OZF001_001_1024x1024.jpg

Back