Why don't you post in the Custom sub-forum?

You know, I should have stuck over here to begin with. This thread brings up many of the exact same points as the custom forum, but just doesnt have that stink of arrogance and rudeness to it which is the complete source of all this to begin with. I think the cordial and progressive discussion here is a perfect example of my answer to the topic of this post.

I am D-O-N-E posting over there. Its either my thin skin, my sickened reaction to certain personality types that might be more prevalent over there, or maybe just a little too much desire to stick it to a few people I consider dicks. It'll be for the best, as I am NOT fulltime, and by definition am more of a hobbyist than a businessman. Like I said over there, the day knifemaking feels like running a grocery store, I've lost the passion that got me interested in the first place. I think getting pissed when someone makes unnecessarily rude comments is completely fine. Some people are just dicks and its acceptable to treat them like dicks, even if they are knife collecting dicks. Just as they don't need to spend their money on my knives, as a hobbyist, i don't need to sell them my knives either. I have already once turned a collector down on an order after seeing now nitpicky and rude he was with a maker online, over a very low-end purchase. The buyer is the final judge and jury for a knife, but some judges expect too much for too little and a maker needs to decide if their skillset will satisfy their delicate likes and dislikes, regardless if if you are selling at much lower than what that collector usually buys. I perceived the "cost" of that knife potentially eclipsing its intent or worth, and as a result, said I thought they would be better going with maker A, B, or C at this time. I don't need to do business with some people, and it feels good to know I'm in control of who I associate with. This is much easier for a hobbyist like me than someone putting bread on the table, though. I dont think this was a bad choice at all, I've never regretted it. Theres "challenging yourself" and theres "walking into a fire wearing gas soaked clothing"...i saw the order as an invite to attempt option 2.

If some magical day I have zen transmission of the skills required to go fulltime, perhaps things will change!

Mike, your posts are what I always feel I want mine to be, but lack the wisdom or skills to write-up.

Nick, im glad you are so well received, and it does us makers good to have someone so liked speak up.

Lastly, I think Wild Rose has hit on something important in that the most famous knifemakers of our day could be those that are shunned from a forum like the custom forum. Innovation is almost never accepted into a mainstream right away, but almost always drives the mainstream of tomorrow, and thats something to be remembered.

I guess this is a good ole' "kumbaya" post in regards to the makers forum. Maybe I just "belong" here, and its not because I think my knives aren't good enough for the custom forum. Ive posted a few knives there and all were received very well. Its more how others have been treated that has turned me off. Its not about me.

fitz - yep that's ONE thing I still am capable - of! :D

BTW - just downloaded Electric Lady land and as the joker said to the thief...."There must be some way out of here,There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief." :thumbup:

Here's another tune by Jimi that seems to apply:
From AXIS

"If 6 Was 9"

(Yeah, sing a song bro'...)
If the sun refused to shine
I don't mind, I don't mind
(Yeah)
If the mountains ah, fell in the sea
Let it be, it ain't me.
(Well, all right)

Got my own world to live through and uh, ha !
And I ain't gonna copy you.

Yeah (sing the song brother...)
Now if uh, six uh, huh, turned out to be nine
Oh I don't mind, I don't mind uh ( Well all right... )
If all the hippies cut off all their hair
Oh I don't care, oh I don't care.
Dig.

'Cause I've got my own world to live through and uh, huh

White collar conservative flashin' down the street
Pointin' their plastic finger at me, ha !
They're hopin' soon my kind will drop and die but uh
I'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high !
Oww !

Wave on, wave on...

Ah, ha, ha
Fall mountains, just don't fall on me
Go ahead on mister business man, you can't dress like me
Yeah !

Don't nobody know what I'm talkin' about
I've got my own life to live
I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die
So let me live my life the way I want to
Yeah, sing on brother, play on drummer

Here's another tune by Jimi that seems to apply:
From AXIS

"If 6 Was 9"

(Yeah, sing a song bro'...)
If the sun refused to shine
I don't mind, I don't mind
(Yeah)
If the mountains ah, fell in the sea
Let it be, it ain't me.
(Well, all right)

Got my own world to live through and uh, ha !

Yeah (sing the song brother...)
Now if uh, six uh, huh, turned out to be nine
Oh I don't mind, I don't mind uh ( Well all right... )
If all the hippies cut off all their hair
Oh I don't care, oh I don't care.
Dig.

'Cause I've got my own world to live through and uh, huh

White collar conservative flashin' down the street
Pointin' their plastic finger at me, ha !
They're hopin' soon my kind will drop and die but uh
I'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high !
Oww !

Wave on, wave on...

Ah, ha, ha
Fall mountains, just don't fall on me
Go ahead on mister business man, you can't dress like me
Yeah !

Don't nobody know what I'm talkin' about
I've got my own life to live
I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die
So let me live my life the way I want to
Yeah, sing on brother, play on drummer

Axis is my favorite Hendrix record.....call me weird, but there it is.:D

I still find it a real shame that some makers find the custom knife forum to be an inhospitable place. My wish to see a great many makers posting there is based on my feeling that it would be mutually beneficial. In my opinion, collectors need to get a better understanding of what it takes to make knives. Makers should be helped by getting to see what it is that collectors are looking for.

The perceptions that some makers have of the custom forum is disheartening, but because of the multiple personalities of the collectors that hang out there, it is never going to be for everyone. There are those that will not find it to be a place they would like to hang their hat. Still, over time I hope to see more makers at all levels taking part in the discussions going on there.

I do come over to this forum quite regularly, and try to take part in the threads that might benefit from a collectors input, but I find that the great majority of threads are about stuff I know little about. I am going to take part in more hammer-ins so that I will get a better perspective of what goes into making knives.

Anyway, I still hope to see as many of you makers as feel comfortable doing so, visiting custom knife forum and at least giving the place a chance. Hopefully you won't find us to be a bunch of self-absorbed jerks, but even if you do, it will have been a learning experience.

I still find it a real shame that some makers find the custom knife forum to be an inhospitable place. My wish to see a great many makers posting there is based on my feeling that it would be mutually beneficial. In my opinion, collectors need to get a better understanding of what it takes to make knives. Makers should be helped by getting to see what it is that collectors are looking for.

The perceptions that some makers have of the custom forum is disheartening, but because of the multiple personalities of the collectors that hang out there, it is never going to be for everyone. There are those that will not find it to be a place they would like to hang their hat. Still, over time I hope to see more makers at all levels taking part in the discussions going on there.

I do come over to this forum quite regularly, and try to take part in the threads that might benefit from a collectors input, but I find that the great majority of threads are about stuff I know little about. I am going to take part in more hammer-ins so that I will get a better perspective of what goes into making knives.

Anyway, I still hope to see as many of you makers as feel comfortable doing so, visiting custom knife forum and at least giving the place a chance. Hopefully you won't find us to be a bunch of self-absorbed jerks, but even if you do, it will have been a learning experience.

You are a true gentleman, and one of my favorites who lives in both forums and is equally considerate and insightful in both! I have the same hopes as you!

Hammerins are fun for collectors and knifemakers. Once everyone is wearing dirty jeans and swinging hammers, there is NO line drawn between the two, and everyone gets along!

Im sad to say I think lots of this has to do with everyone having horrid spring fever. Here in the northeast its been, simply put, a bitch of a winter. Everyone is fighting. Even over on a Northeast-specific shooters forum I frequent, people have posted noticing a huge spike in negativity, and everyone unanimously agreed its due to the anticipation for the horrid weather to end...

Here comes the sun.....:D

Yes, Keith is one of the good ones. Unfortunately, some of the others spoil it for the good guys.

Man, I read that dealbreaker thread this AM. Whoa. If that was my market I'd never have made knife #2. Passion strangled off after pic #1.

And this also posted today:

Lets cut to the chase.

The truth of the matter is that, the work of a majority of custom knife makers, is simply not worth the time and effort to critique, or to collect. That may smart, but if you are flunking lunch on basic techniques, you know it. If you are serious about being taken seriously, master the fundamentals by learning them from an actual Master. You have seen enough Kung Fu movies to know what I am saying is true.

I think David may have struck a valid point here. Unless your market is collectors, then why post there? Most of us have lives and do this because we have a passion for it, but we don't have time to drop everything and go be a knife monk under master Zen.

I feel meek and embarassed to show my 'humble at best' work here, where I get pretty positive guidance and criticism from friendly guys who are polite. But I certainly do fall into the category "not worth the time and effort to critique, or to collect" pretty cleanly.

So why would I post there? Would it not be like posting a pic of a Honda scooter in the Hummer forum?

Well said Keith. I'm a collector. I don't post a lot. But I read daily the maker's forum as well as the custom's.

Regards
Patrick

That's just it Andy, some people, like Keith, would love more makers of all sorts over in that forum, and I appreciate it... but unfortunately it seems that the majority of people who post frequently on that forum and set the tone are of the opinion that unless you're making multi thousand dollar knives and a full time maker so that their "investment" doesnt depreciate then not only are you not worth their time, but you're wasting their time and money because the time that they spend on forums is part of their 'investment' into their collection.

I've basically come to the same conclustion that David has, I'm just not going to even bother with that forum. I dont need the elitist bullshit. Maybe someday I'll be making knives that collectors are buying, maybe not, but one thing for certain is everyone deserves respect untill they prove themselves unworthy of it, and on that forum not a lot of respect is shown.

So why would I post there? Would it not be like posting a pic of a Honda scooter in the Hummer forum?

Sad thing is, LOTS of people, probably far more than high-end collectors, love "honda scooters" of the knife world, and lots of "honda scooters" sell on the forums every day. Its not just the makers who suffer from the problem we are discussing by feeling unwelcome or unworthy....if a "honda scooter" lover can't find a handmade honda scooter in the "custom and handmade vehicles" forum, or are ashamed to post their new honda scooter purchase for fear of it being torn a new one, they suffer as well.

I'd assume that high-end investment grade pieces account for less than 5% of custom knives being sold, maybe even less. I personally feel a user-grade knife that outperforms other knives and is designed with superior functional ability is just as valuable, if not more, to the custom knifemaking community as a $5,000 bowie with preban elephant ivory and complete engraving. After all, how many of us would like to try to chop wood with a 15" bowie that has a mirror polished handle and no lanyard? I sure wouldnt....and that doesnt mean the knife has no value, its simply a completely different application of the process with a completely different intent. I am not sure that intent is factored into much of the critique over there. After all, about 1% of the "dealbreakers" thread had anything to do with functional use of a knife and were almost all simple aesthetic preferences, so maybe that is what can be expected in terms of critique over there, while functional design, heat treatment, and application are what we should expect in the maker's forum. Problem is, right now people have to learn that trial-by-fire.

Nick
I never knew it was there either.... If it weren't for the number of replies to your question I probably still would not have known about it...
That being said, I took the time today to go over and do some nosing around. It just seems like the majority of people here @ shoptalk are what make the makers forum worth visiting on a daily basis. Not just MANY of the people here, but MOST of the people here would give anyone that asks all the help and guidance they needed or wanted. It's quite a nice environment to be a part of and I thoroughly enjoy it. I did not get the same feeling of camaraderie while glancing through the other forum. To be fair, I guess I should post something of my own there and see how it goes before jumping to any conclusions.
Thanks for letting us in on this secret forum:D,
Matt Doyle

..Mike, your posts are what I always feel I want mine to be, but lack the wisdom or skills to write-up....

David, it's funny, because it was the wisdom and writing of your posts and Justin's that finally made me say something. :)

What you've said here is most excellent, too. So I don't go off on a rant, I'll simply say I completely agree.

There's plenty of room on the bus for everybody. Screw anyone who looks down on you for riding on it. Sit down next to 'em and fart. :D

fitz - yep that's ONE thing I still am capable - of! :D

BTW - just downloaded Electric Lady land and as the joker said to the thief...."There must be some way out of here,There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief." :thumbup:

Well, good for you! :D I'm just happy to not have to stand there waiting. ;)

Great album! My favorite song of all time.

...it seems that the majority of people who post frequently on that forum and set the tone are of the opinion that unless you're making multi thousand dollar knives and a full time maker so that their "investment" doesnt depreciate then not only are you not worth their time, but you're wasting their time and money because the time that they spend on forums is part of their 'investment' into their collection.

This is such complete BS.

...one thing for certain is everyone deserves respect untill they prove themselves unworthy of it, and on that forum not a lot of respect is shown.

Respect is earned - this is the key point you're missing. Everyone deserves to be treated with normal decency and politness, but respect, that's something else.

Personally, as a collector, I'm an elitist. I don't consider myself the elite, but I seek the elite among knifemakers. Those elites include people like Bruce Bump, Nick Wheeler, Todd Begg, John White, etc, etc. That includes multi thousand knives and simple sub-$500 knives. That includes makers who've been at it for many years, and makers who are just starting. All I seek are knives that push the limit of execution and artistry.

I respect makers who know that they can do the most sublime knives yet choose to also make small, cheap, utilitarian knives, makers like Don Fogg, Burt Foster, and in fact many of the top makers. I understand and accept makers who choose to simply make cheap, simple, utilitarian knives for hunters and the like, but I have no interest in this type of work and I will more often than not not bother to comment on the knife. Take that as a personal insult if you want to.

I have no such respect for makers or collectors who hide behind the red herring that "utilitarian is always better than beautiful". They fail to recognize that one can make a knife that is both beautiful AND soundly built. They criticize the fancy under the pretext that because they are fancy they are not used, and conveniently forget that many knife buyers are not knife users in the sense of cutting, choping, and the like. They use the knife like they use a fine painting - by enjoying its beauty, the craftsmanship, and the skills and efforts.

It is my absolute conviction that it is the artistic knife that helps maintain the utilitarian custom knife market - not the other way around. Why would anyone spend $450 on a Nick Wheeler hunter? Well, because it's a Nick Wheeler! The guy from Blade Magazine! Why would someone buy a $200 hunter from local maker XYZ? Well, because it's a custom knife! Just like one of them beauty in Knife Illustrated. It's been made using the same methods that were researched by all those guys who do super high end stuff.

Without the highly embelished / finished / sophisticated knife, there would be no custom knife market - period. Makers who are denigrating sophisticated art knives are not only insulting their fellow makers, they are peeing in their own soup.

I was looking for a post by Gollnick:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5391614&postcount=25

Yes, these knives are users.

As I often point out, an object can have value and utility and usefulness if it adds beauty to our lives, graces a space, gives joy to the eye, these are uses. If an object accomplishes these goals, then that object is a "user."

Makers - whether you make a $5,000 carved, engraved, scrimshawed, heat colored, and pierced art dagger that sits in a display cabinet, or whether you are making $200 hunters, be satisfied to know: your knives are indeed users.

Just to be clear, I completely agree with this view. The debate between users and non users is silly because all knives are used - differently.

This is a good way for makers and collectors to learn, but please go easy on the quotes of others and making comments about what they have to say. Please just state YOUR opinion and not start any pissing contests or I'll lock it .

Thanks gents

This is a good way for makers and collectors to learn, but please go easy on the quotes of others and making comments about what they have to say. Please just state YOUR opinion and not start any pissing contests or I'll lock it .

Thanks gents

Mark - is that in reference to my last post? I don't understand what you are saying.

Which takes me back to my original point in this thread. Those makers who do not make that level of knife Joss describes shouldn't subject themselves to the Custom Knife forum, because it is geared to the higher tier knives and makers, and the regulars over there operate with a frequent disdain for that which does not match their desires in a knife.

Sadly, there are those who don't extend that "normal decency and politeness" you correctly state should be accorded anyone. Boorishness seems to be all too commonly the flavor of that forum, especially what I've read recently.

It is perhaps better to develop skills to a pretty high level before asking the collectors what they think.

Joss, I find your point regarding art knives driving the entire custom market interesting. It makes me wonder if it is true on all levels, or whether it is a two-tiered system?

My point being, many people early in their knifemaking career sell knives to family, friends, work acquaintences, etc, who've never even realized there were "custom knives" before.

After awhile it gets to the level of selling more than locally, at which point it enters more into the stream I see you speaking of.

How does that idea of levels strike you?

Mike - I'm interested seeing examples of such boorishness. Quite frankly, the worst abuse I have seen on the forum was from a maker to another.

I have 2 clear examples in my mind of contributors who went way off. One was the thread Don Cowles refers to, and another thread was one where a dealer went after Mike Snody. In both cases that reflected rather poorly on the contributor.

Back