Why knife manufactures don't give us what we want?

Here to share some of my thought, not to offend anyone :)

In my relatively short knife collecting journey, I run into some issues that are really really frustrating. I feel like some manufacturers are (even purposely) not giving us what we want. For instance, Hinderer knife, I have been looking for a smooth Ti scale for 3 inch xm18 for ages. It's sold out everywhere and many of my friends are waiting for more to be released. But I think it never happened. From a business standpoint, why?? I personally contacted them through email, ins and the only response I got is "they don't know". There are 3-inch scales with crazy anodizing, and engravings all over the place but they just can't produce the smooth version? Are the clean looking scales reserved only for his custom now? I don't get it.
I run into some occasions like this with other brands as well, but this is the only one came across my head at the nmoment and the most depressing fact I have to deal with :(

Just my personal experience and I might be very wrong. Forgive me if I'm too aggressive, maybe I'm just too crazy about a clean looking full Ti 3'' xm18. Have you ever had the same feeling? Share it if you feel so.

A stock photo from monkyedge: https://cdn3.volusion.com/cwhhs.ntmeb/v/vspfiles/photos/RHK0201-3.jpg?1369404769

Buy an anodized ti scale.

Remove anodizing in literally ten seconds in a bath of Whink Ruststain remover. Just make sure you have everything steel off of the scale. Whink will etch steel instantly but will remove anodization from Ti without damaging the ti.

And now you got that scale you wanted.

Last edited:
"Why knife manufactures don't give us what we want?"

Because they can't please everybody. Perfection to you isn't the same as perfection to someone else. I just think we need to be adaptable, not just with our knife preferences, but for everything else as well. If you can afford a custom, then no issue there. For me, I won't spend more than $200 for a knife, so I settle for the closest to perfection I can get and adapt to where it isn't perfect.

I don't need perfection either. I want to like the knife I am carrying and have it functional in my world. Most of my knives were less than $150 and the general cap is $200. I would have to really want a particular knife to spend more than that on a folder. I tend to spend more on fixed blades, but unfortunately use them much less.

Overall, I think the manufacturers do an amazing job on product.

LOL! :D:thumbsup:
Then, email Benchmade and ask them for a 943-2 :thumbsup: *Edit: Politely.*

You're not the only one my friend. I've suggested/requested some 943 variants in just about every encounter with a Benchmade rep I've had.

I've always gotten, if any, the same response you did. "We don't sell enough of them..." Yeah, because there aren't any variants. Lol. Life is hard.

I wonder if the roles were reversed, if the 940 only came in boring black aluminum and the 943 had the green aluminum, black g10 and cf, if the sales numbers ratios would be the same.

Cursum Perficio Cursum Perficio , any guesses how much energy I waisted bugging Spyderco to do this?
kjxXDBr.jpg

It's not exactly rocket surgery. Seize control of your destiny!

Idiocy abounds.
No more quotes of this example, please.

Ironically, Spyderco is pretty good at listening to customers. The owners postings (and the resulting knives) both on the subforum here and on the Spyderco forum is testament to that.

@Tommy-Chi, you've insulted a respected member of the knife community in GKD and in a later post further more a had the audacity to use the '@' to actually call said person's attention to this thread. Not only have you lost any shred of credibility you might have had on this forum but your posts are tantamount to trolling. You owe the forum member an apology.

Back