Why my BM710HSSR is my EDC!

Hope this works. Tried making a little video, it's an AVI file, with my new digital camera. I'm hoping you all can click the link and it will open in your Window's Media Player or whatever.

I might try and reshoot this as there's a skip near the beginning, and I kidna fumble pulling it out of my pocket. :) I'll have to get another pair of jeans, I noticed one of the snaps is in a bad place and catches my thumb.

The main reason I like to carry my 710, or Axis locks in general, is because of the speed of opening and closing.

Click Here

This seems to work. :) I don't notice a skip in the video now that it's online. My fumble is still there though. :)

Video is working fine, Amigo! I love seeing a man with a passion for his knife, thanks for sharing it with us. Seems you have a nice keen edge on your 710, every Knife Knut should give that knife a try, Benchmade got the first Axis Lock knife right, no question about it.

Originally posted by stjames
Video is working fine, Amigo! I love seeing a man with a passion for his knife, thanks for sharing it with us. Seems you have a nice keen edge on your 710, every Knife Knut should give that knife a try, Benchmade got the first Axis Lock knife right, no question about it.

Yeah, I touched up the edge recently, it's pretty sharp. :) I cut some rope a few weeks ago and the rope just exploded as the edge sliced through it. :) Then I touched it up since then and it's even sharper. The M2 steel is great stuff.

Results would be similar with my BM Ares and the 806D2. I haven't touched the edge on the 806D2 yet, still factory.

Originally posted by WadeF
...The main reason I like to carry my 710, or Axis locks in general, is because of the speed of opening and closing.
Two other things that I've really come to really like about my BM 730, (also with the Axis-lock) is how SMOOTH it opens and closes, and the fact that the Axis-lock is totally ambidextrious. Also, about that speed thing...I found that I can actually thumb-open this "730" of mine just as quickly (or quicker) as the "automatic" knife that I had for awhile.

(This coming Monday I should receive a BM 710 from a recent trade, and I can hardly wait to "play" with that one!.).

Originally posted by WadeF
Yeah, I touched up the edge recently, it's pretty sharp. :) I cut some rope a few weeks ago and the rope just exploded as the edge sliced through it. :) Then I touched it up since then and it's even sharper. The M2 steel is great stuff.

Results would be similar with my BM Ares and the 806D2. I haven't touched the edge on the 806D2 yet, still factory.

Wade - what are you using to sharpen your 710? I recently got a AFCK 800 M2 and am curious as to what others use to sharpen M2. I got a SharpMaker and the diamond rods... should that be good enough?

Originally posted by storm clouds
Wade - what are you using to sharpen your 710? I recently got a AFCK 800 M2 and am curious as to what others use to sharpen M2. I got a SharpMaker and the diamond rods... should that be good enough?

I use an EdgePro Professional and a Sharpmaker. If I just have to touch it up I use the Sharpmaker. If I have to reprofile (new knife) I use the EdgePro.

your video shows why I loved my 710 as well. but, the blade was simply too big for me and i know it would get me in trouble here in chicago where people look at me funny when i use my CRK Umfaan ... go figure. but, the 710 will always have a special place in my heart. that was the knife that introduced me to true high-end knives. enjoy!!!

p.s. i ended uop taking the thumb stud off my 710 to make it less snag prone, since i never used the stud to open the knife, and it was easy to upen 'slowly' with the stud hole in the blade as well.

Cool vid. I like the way you draw and open in 1 motion, works great with my 551!

Originally posted by filedog
Cool vid. I like the way you draw and open in 1 motion, works great with my 551!

I just like the fact that when I'm in the middle of something I can quickly open the knife, cut, and then close it quickly and put it away and carry on with my task. I don't have to pay attention to what I'm doing when I close it. With a liner or a frame lock I wouldn't try blindly closing it with my finger being in the path of the closing blade. :) So that means I have to take attention away from my task to close the blade. Not with an Axis lock though. I could open and close it all day long with my eyes closed.

man dialup is a b1tch.. i'm still waiting as this clip loads.

wade - you seriously need to pamper yourself with some custom linerlocks & framelocks (my faves = rj martin, brad duncan, & emerson if you have the cash). i know you have sebenzas, but i'm talkin about high-end customs here. i always see you bashing linerlocks/framelocks when i'm positive you don't have any ones made on a custom basis by the "big guys".. a new world of appreciation opens when you dip into the right customs, my friend. i can easily manipulate my linerlocks without looking out for my thumb upon closing... still waiting for the video [ironic how i'll pay 400-500 for custom folders, 500-1000 for custom fixed blades, yet i haven't yet gotten broadband!]

"this type of file is not supported by AOL media player" -- ugh. i'll take your word for it that you're a quickdraw.

Originally posted by alan aragon
man dialup is a b1tch.. i'm still waiting as this clip loads.

wade - you seriously need to pamper yourself with some custom linerlocks & framelocks (my faves = rj martin, brad duncan, & emerson if you have the cash). i know you have sebenzas, but i'm talkin about high-end customs here. i always see you bashing linerlocks/framelocks when i'm positive you don't have any ones made on a custom basis by the "big guys".. a new world of appreciation opens when you dip into the right customs, my friend. i can easily manipulate my linerlocks without looking out for my thumb upon closing... still waiting for the video [ironic how i'll pay 400-500 for custom folders, 500-1000 for custom fixed blades, yet i haven't yet gotten broadband!]

Heh, no embarassment about having to suggestion $500+ liner locks, just to try to get something with a lock that competes with a $120 (street price) production knife? And even at $500, doesn't give you the axis's closing-pressure that keeps the blade closed, or the ability to unlock without putting your finger in the path of the blade! Let's face it, if you're paying that for a custom liner lock, you're getting all kinds of value for the extra money, but better lock technology isn't part of it. With a framelock, at least the reliability is comparable.

$120, rock solid reliability, incredible strength, closing pressure that makes the knife suitable for tip-out carry, lightning fast deployment and disengagement.

Nice video!

Originally posted by Joe Talmadge
With a framelock, at least the reliability is comparable.
my custom linerlock's liners are almost as thick as the frames of many framelocks, and of course the liners are covered flush with the knive's scales, so there's no possibility of white-knuckle twist disengagement. thick linerlocks are easily as reliable as framelocks, or even more so. which custom liners do you own, joe? just curious.

wade - you seriously need to pamper yourself with some custom linerlocks & framelocks...

So I should also buy a $70,000 luxury car when I could buy a car for $25,000 that would leave it in the dust, but maybe isn't as refined? I prefer speed, functionality, and not having to worry about if I screw it up.

I like frame locks. My Sebenza and Camillus Dominator are solid feeling knives. I just can't open them as fast and close them as fast. Even the Dominator doesn't open as fast because it takes me long to get it's Robo assist going.

Cool clip, love how quick AXIS-lockers close.

I'm thinking of cracking a few AXIS-modules from Mini-Grips, then having an "extreme makeover" done by a custom maker: new blade, new scales, new clip, and an easily replaceable AXIS-module.

Wonder if that'll be in violation of any patent laws, although the AXIS-lock wouldn't be replicated. I (probably) won't be able to afford a true M&W custom in this lifetime.

my custom linerlock's liners are almost as thick as the frames of many framelocks, and of course the liners are covered flush with the knive's scales, so there's no possibility of white-knuckle twist disengagement. thick linerlocks are easily as reliable as framelocks, or even more so. which custom liners do you own, joe? just curious.

We're moving pretty far afield here from the main point, which I'll address first: again, there's nothing in the technology of a $500+ custom that makes superior technology, from a purely functional point of view, from an axis. He's got reliability, a lock that can safely hold a blade in even tip-up (arguably, no liner lock at any price does that), and can be snapped closed without having to time the index finger. The 710HSS is an absolutely awesome beast at the price. There's reasons to go custom, like pride of ownership, the meticulous craftsmanship and artistry of a maker, etc., but you're not moving up in lock tech going from axis to liner.

Okay, to the other question:

Alan, my collection is pretty extensive, with liner locks from big names like Terzuola and Emerson and Onion and Ralph, to sleepers like Chamblin and Harkins, to all kinds in between.

Liner thickness is absolutely no guarantee of greater reliability. The critical problem is the blade-tang geometry, and the challenges are 1. the geometry changes as the liner wears, 2. the geometry changes as the knife is put under torque stress and the frame flexes, 3. simply reducing the angle makes the lock more reliable but causes it to stick hard and wear quickly, 4. etc.

I can introduce you to a guy who uses very thin liners on his gents' folders, and whose liner locks are unspeakably reliable. They will flex ominously until you're sure they'll break, but they are rock solid. Meanwhile, there's plenty of cases of thicker liners failing simple spine whack tests. A thick liner lock is no guarantee of anything, certainly they remain less reliable than framelocks, and the maker still needs to get the geometry right; the thicker liner just gives him a bit more room for error.

Joe

The opening and closing was so fast I couldn't even see how you did it when I slowly manually advanced the video. :eek: All my folders are Spydercos and I've never held an Axis lock folder, so would you mind explaining how the Axis enters into the faster opening/closing of the blade? I guess there may be more advantages to the Axis than just the safety of the lock.

Originally posted by selfinflicted
The opening and closing was so fast I couldn't even see how you did it when I slowly manually advanced the video. :eek: All my folders are Spydercos and I've never held an Axis lock folder, so would you mind explaining how the Axis enters into the faster opening/closing of the blade? I guess there may be more advantages to the Axis than just the safety of the lock.

It's simple. On liners and framelocks the ball detent and lock is in contact with the blade the whole time it's opening, creating friction. With an Axis lock, if you pull back on the lock NOTHING is touching the blade other than the pivot point. So it has nothing to slow it down other than the friction against the washers. So it can swing open and closed with little effort. My 710HSSR will actually open by gravity if I release the lock and hold it the right way.

The Axis also does a better job of holding the blade closed than a liner lock or frame lock. So it won't accidentally open in your pocket as easily.

Later tonight I'll post another video which will silence the critics. :)

Back