Why my BM710HSSR is my EDC!

Looking forward to it! You inspired me to pull out my 710 and sharpen up my opening & closing! I actually do the opening without bothering to pull back the lock, it still snaps open quickly.

Joe

I'm typing with one hand right now, why?.... because I tried recreating the move Wade made and cut the tip of my thumb off with my 550, damnnn that thing is sharp. Hey, atleast it made a clean cut, but it won't stop bleeding. Any advice on the cut? Yea, go ahead and flame me while I search for the tip of my thumb.

Originally posted by powells85
I'm typing with one hand right now, why?.... because I tried recreating the move Wade made and cut the tip of my thumb off with my 550, damnnn that thing is sharp. Hey, atleast it made a clean cut, but it won't stop bleeding. Any advice on the cut? Yea, go ahead and flame me while I search for the tip of my thumb.

Try New Skin Liquid Bandage™. I'm not sure if it will reattach the tip of your thumb, but for deep clean cuts (say from a spooky sharp S30V blade ;) ) its great stuff.

Reattach... I don't think that's even a consideration because the tip of my thumb is MIA. It's about half an inch across it. Don't worry, I'm not a dumbass who's gonna sue bladeforums just like people did with zippotricks.com. I've learned my lesson for now with sharp objects and the blood loss is making me tired so I'm going to bed now.
Your almost 9 digit friend, Mike.

Reattach... I don't think that's even a consideration because the tip of my thumb is MIA. It's about half an inch across it. Don't worry, I'm not a dumbass who's gonna sue bladeforums just like people did with zippotricks.com. I've learned my lesson for now with sharp objects and the blood loss is making me tired so I'm going to bed now.
Your almost 9 digit friend, Mike.

Ouch! How did you do that? The whole point to an Axis lock is your fingers never should be in the path of the blade. :) My thumb was on the lock at the time I was opening and closing the blade. Safely away from the blade. Hope it didn't take off to much flesh. The liquid bandaid stuff is good, but if it's a really nasty wound you probably should seak medical attention. Maybe get a skin graft while your at it.

Originally posted by Joe Talmadge
. A thick liner lock is no guarantee of anything, certainly they remain less reliable than framelocks, and the maker still needs to get the geometry right; the thicker liner just gives him a bit more room for error.
ah, joe.. you're not the typical mental cybermidget, nice prose, nice logic, i see the points you're making.

but you'd have to agree that some custom linerlocks, in a structural sense, are framelocks with scales over the frame, which makes them more protected from failure since one of the major "moving" parts (the liner) is covered/shielded from contact during use.

Originally posted by WadeF
So I should also buy a $70,000 luxury car when I could buy a car for $25,000 that would leave it in the dust, but maybe isn't as refined? I prefer speed, functionality, and not having to worry about if I screw it up.
just give a good custom (terzuola, martin, etc) a try. then start saying you'd rather stick to mitsubishi evo's & dodge neon sr4's with superchargers.

you missed the point slightly, wade. i have a honda civic, and i also have a loaded full-size beemer. i can appreciate the merits of both... don't knock stuff till you've owned it, is what i'm trying to say. but to each his own, just trying to help the country's yootz.

Originally posted by alan aragon
ah, joe.. you're not the typical mental cybermidget, nice prose, nice logic, i see the points you're making.

I keep going over that line to see if you're being ironic or not :)

but you'd have to agree that some custom linerlocks, in a structural sense, are framelocks with scales over the frame, which makes them more protected from failure since one of the major "moving" parts (the liner) is covered/shielded from contact during use.

To me, the most important structural feature of a framelock is the fact that your hand reinforces it for most uses (counterclockwise torque can be problematic). However, I do see that some liner lock makers are using very thick locks; sure, some are as thick as framelock locks.

just give a good custom (terzuola, martin, etc) a try. then start saying you'd rather stick to mitsubishi evo's & dodge neon sr4's with superchargers.

you missed the point slightly, wade. i have a honda civic, and i also have a loaded full-size beemer. i can appreciate the merits of both... don't knock stuff till you've owned it, is what i'm trying to say. but to each his own, just trying to help the country's yootz.

No, you missed the point, like you always do. My $120 knife works just fine and the only reason I would spend $500+ for a custom is for the art value, and I would never dare use it. Why would I want to pay that much for a tool when it won't function any better, if as well, as what I have now? I'm not an art collector.

Originally posted by Joe Talmadge
(counterclockwise torque can be problematic)

I think Mr. Talmadge is putting this forward as an understatement. IMHO, it's biggie problematic.......and I'm a fan of liner/integral/frame locks. :) I wouldn't even trust my customs -- heck, not even a Strider AR/GB or SnG -- to be 100% here, I wouldn't do it unless I *_had to_*.

For prying and point-digging, I'd still rather trust another lock-type, and the BM AXIS is on this short list.

:)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

I cut it while trying to slice the paper like you did Wade. And more on topic, I believe what Wade is saying to be true, why pay 3 times the price for a knife that works the same strength and reliability wise when you can get a great user for $120 that still looks great doing it. I also believe knives in that price range are to be kept home on display or in safe storage, not in your pocket or in your hand for EDC cutting chores. That New Skin stuff stings like hell at first, but it beats a band aid cause that just irratated the sh*t out of it.

I cut it while trying to slice the paper like you did Wade.

Ah! I had a feeling you sliced your OTHER hand (not the hand holding the knife) while trying to cut something. :) I just sliced the paper for effect, and to show the blade was locked in place an operational. :) Probably not the safest thing to do (swiping at something you're holding) but I have done it many times before.

Wade.....Great video.
Too fast to see all the hand coordination.<g>
I have my first Axis lock Benchmade on its way
and look forward to being able to experience the ease
of opening and closing.
Thanks for sharing

No, you missed the point, like you always do. My $120 knife works just fine and the only reason I would spend $500+ for a custom is for the art value, and I would never dare use it. Why would I want to pay that much for a tool when it won't function any better, if as well, as what I have now? I'm not an art collector.
you're a terrible debator, dude. maybe you need a hug, or a girlfriend - or boyfriend if you swing that way, which is okay; i won't judge your character based on that.

obviously you appreciate some of the art involved with your knives, otherwise you'd tote a high-end boxcutter & a prybar. by the way, i hear you can rent girlfriends pretty easily in the cyber age.. especially knowing that you'd go for one that's all function & no art.. HA. :D

go ahead & steer clear of customs. that's just more for guys like me. i dig both factory stuff & customs.

obviously you appreciate some of the art involved with your knives, otherwise you'd tote a high-end boxcutter & a prybar. by the way, i hear you can rent girlfriends pretty easily in the cyber age.. especially knowing that you'd go for one that's all function & no art.. HA.

I'm married with a child thank you. How did this forum get into a custom vs. production debate? I was just explaining why my BM710HSSR, out of the 20+ folders I own, is my EDC. I'd love to have a large collection of customs and I'm sure I'd love them. If I had more money than I knew what to do with I'd carry them and use them too. However, I'm not in this situaion (Married with a kid remember) so I get the best I can afford and enjoy them.

You obviously have some kind of jealousy problem with the Axis lock. It drives you nuts that a $120 knife has a superior locking mechanism to your $500-1000 custom liner locks and frame locks. I'm sure the patent runs out you'll see more custom makers using the Axis lock, or something similar.

Also it's a damn shame someone like yourself, who can afford all these great custom knives, can't find $30 to purchase a Gold Membership and help support these forums.

Also it's a damn shame someone like yourself, who can afford all these great custom knives, can't find $30 to purchase a Gold Membership and help support these forums.
you sound kind of angry, but that comes with being married with children (i have 1 son & counting).

i realize that you were posting your excitement about your knife. i certainly didn't mean to come in & lock horns with some hot-headed goofball i don't even know personally :D

i thought i took a neutral angle by responding to your anti-linerlock stance with some calm logic. apparently it rubbed you the wrong way, so i apologize for that.

Alright then, back to the topic: nice video. I've been trying to recreate that quick closing with my 806D2... but that big ungodly sharp blade swinging closed, even with my fingers out of the way, scares the hell out of me! :eek:

Wade --

Damn you're fast with that closing !!!!!!!!! :) I can't even approach that ! How long have you practiced on that part of your technique?

All --

Whether one chooses to display or carry or even use their $500+ custom is their business. :) Some like "driveway jewlery" or "safe queens," others love to actually wring out their go-fast cars on the race-track or put dings and scratches on their custom blades with true EDC. No one's wrong, and we're all united by our common love of these tools.

There are *_many_* production knives in the $80 to $200 range that will give any true-custom quite a run for its money in all aspects.

The MT LLC kicks out harder than my Duncan Whiplash. My Spyderco Viele is almost as smooth as my Mayo TNT. The Buck-Strider 880 is almost as solid as my ARs and GBs. I love my Lightfoot FCF, but its flipper isn't necessarily much better or smoother than a production Kershaw.

With the new and upcoming "Mid-Tech" offerings, by many makers, the line between the two is even further blurred. Do I love my custom Simonich Combat Raven? Yes -- but I'm also going to be placing an order with Mrs. Simonich for a Mid-Tech.

To me, customs and productions simply live on different planes of a parallel existence. Even art-knives and those ****** clones can be found across these planes, at different levels.

Not every knife needs to be hand-built or cost upwards of $500 in order to function in a superb manner or have excellent fit-and-finish. The Benchmades serve as an excellence of the former, and Al Mar's offerings easily takes the latter.

Should every knife-nut try to experience a custom or an art knife at least once? Yes.

But does everyone need to own one or have one as a user to be a true enthusiast? Definitely not.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Back