Why my BM710HSSR is my EDC!

Well, I received the "710" today that I traded for, and that sucker IS fast to open...Damn, it's even quicker than my BM 730! (If I keep flicking this "710" open quickly like this, I just might end-up having to go look for the tip of MY thumb.:D.:D.).

These Axis-lock Benchmades are TOO COOL! (Anyone have a "705" they want to part with?.:D.).

Originally posted by alan aragon
you sound kind of angry, but that comes with being married with children (i have 1 son & counting).

Sorry if I got a bit hot headed. I know you like to press my buttons when it comes to the Axis lock and I shouldn't let it get to me.

The main purpose of this thread was to show people what you can do with the Axis lock, as I believe there are many Axis lock owners out there who don't know what these knives can do.

As far as the closing, it takes some practice. My 710 has been with me for over 3 years now, I think. If you look at my sign up date on these forums, the 710 was purchased shortly after. :)

To close I just pull back on the lock to release it, hold it, and just do a little circular flick to bring it close. The trick is timing the release of the lock to keep the blade closed. Releasing to early may prevent the blade from closing all the way. Releasing to late will result in the blade bouncing back open. I'm so used to doing it by now that it always closes up properly.

Maybe I'll try to make a video of it opening and closing.

Originally posted by glockman99
Well, I received the "710" today that I traded for, and that sucker IS fast to open...Damn, it's even quicker than my BM 730! (If I keep flicking this "710" open quickly like this, I just might end-up having to go look for the tip of MY thumb.:D.:D.).

These Axis-lock Benchmades are TOO COOL! (Anyone have a "705" they want to part with?.:D.).

So will it be replacing the SERE 2000? :) Now, I'll be the first to admit the 710 isn't the best looking knife out there. :) The SERE 2000 is much better looking if you ask me. However, the speed of the 710 keeps it in my pocket.

Glockman, you should check out a BM806D2 if you haven't yet. Also the BM Ares is a really nice piece. The Ares was my EDC for awhile, took the place of the 710, but then I went back to the 710 because I wanted the larger and more agressive blade. :)

BTW, the fellow who sliced the tip of his thumb sliced his non-knife hand's thumb I believe. He got more than the paper he was holding. :) OUCH, that's gotta hurt.

(If I keep flicking this "710" open quickly like this, I just might end-up having to go look for the tip of MY thumb.:D.:D.).
So we got a wiseguy in here hey? I see how it is... no love here.

Originally posted by powells85
So we got a wiseguy in here hey? I see how it is... no love here.

We only joke because we've all been there. :) My last good cut was with my Spyderco Cricket when it sunk it's beak of a blade into my pinky finger! It actually didn't hurt that bad because it was so sharp. :)

I just posted a new thread with a new video. :)

My best (and dumbest) cut so far was two nights ago with my new Chinook II. Trying to figure out how far down the scales I could safely rest a finger and still catch the kick before thumb-closing it, I went past the obvious divot in each scale.

FYI to all fellow dopes out there: the divot is the furthest your finger can safely rest.

Originally posted by arcanum
My best (and dumbest) cut so far was two nights ago with my new Chinook II.

I think the Chinook II might be the next knife I get. :) Looks like a solid piece.

It is, and to me it actually feels more like a Benchmade than a Spyderco. Must be the G10 scales and dual liners.

Originally posted by arcanum
It is, and to me it actually feels more like a Benchmade than a Spyderco. Must be the G10 scales and dual liners.

I'd like to see the Military with dual steel liners, and the Axis lock. Now that would be one hell of a knife.

Originally posted by WadeF
So will it be replacing the SERE 2000? :) Now, I'll be the first to admit the 710 isn't the best looking knife out there. :) The SERE 2000 is much better looking if you ask me. However, the speed of the 710 keeps it in my pocket...
The jury is still out on that one...Maybe I'll end up carrying BOTH my Al Mar SERE 2000, AND the Benchmade 710.:D.

The SERE 2000 seems to be just a hair more solid (thicker) than the "710", but I like the slightly longer blade of the "710", and I'm really going nuts over the Axis-lock. As a lefty, I'm leaning more towards the "710" as the Axis-lock is ambidextrious, where the liner-lock of the SERE 2000 is set up best for right-hand use. Both folders have a rock-solid lock-up.

And as far as the speed issue goes, I have found that the "710" flicks opens somewhat quicker than my SERE 2000 does, although both are very smooth. In-fact, I'll even go as far as to say that this "710" opens as quick, (or quicker), than most automatics that I've "played with".

...Now I just gotta get a "705" to go with my "710".:D.

Wade,, I love my 710 I have it in ATS34, it is SCARY sharp
My 13 yr. old son has a mini- grip(tillion) axis (551??) he catches the thumb stud on his pocket, much like the wave on my Comander. He is faster than I could consider.(but I won't sharpen his 440 blade like mine)
I use the Sharpmaker and a strop with green chromium oxide. I had a reflex, now I'm used to the size of the 710, had Ron(SCRebel) put a mirror polish on it,,, WOW!!

B.G.

And as far as the speed issue goes, I have found that the "710" flicks opens somewhat quicker than my SERE 2000 does, although both are very smooth. In-fact, I'll even go as far as to say that this "710" opens as quick, (or quicker), than most automatics that I've "played with".

Did you go watch my latest Axis Lock video? :) Did you tune that 710 up with a good cleaning and some fresh Militec-1? Also adjust the pivot for fast action, but solid lock up. :)

The Sere 2000 is thicker than the 710 and does feel more solid. However, I think the 710 is just as solid, probably more so in the lock department, but it's a little thinner and carries easier for me.

Wade,

LOL, your three years' familiarity with that knife shows. :) I'll have to refine my Kung-Fu and keep at it with my 806D2.

And yup, that's among my EDC rotation.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Originally posted by DumboRAT
Wade,

LOL, your three years' familiarity with that knife shows. :) I'll have to refine my Kung-Fu and keep at it with my 806D2.

And yup, that's among my EDC rotation.

I really thought the 806D2 would be my new EDC, but it's a big larger than I expected. I have an AFCK liner lock and the 806 is bigger, at least handle wise. I might have to start carring it though. :)

Back