Why?

Another good debate for you guys. Why do so many people seem to knock plain old simple carbon steels these days? Steels that have been used for forever and have worked for centuries. Steels like 1055 all the way up to 1095. Now I know about all the newer "super stuff" out there and have some myself and will probably get more because I'm a steel junkie lol, but I still love and use my knives in 1095 because they just work. Just don't understand people that stick their noses up to a steel that will more than likely do anything they want it too and would last a lifetime doing it too.

I don't think anyone turns their noses up at good ol carbon steel. A lot of folks just want to try different steels out to see what they have to offer. All else fails, nothing wrong with going back to traditional carbon steel, which has been proven to work well over the last thousands of years. It's just a matter of personal preference, that's all.

primarily laziness, as carbon steel needs to be cleaned up and oiled if you want to keep it silvery and shiny

on these forums, you won't find many people who knock carbon steel at all

I dont mind carbon steel, I just prefer stainless for EDC. Here in AZ it gets a little warm and sweating is guaranteed. If I needed something to chop or baton with then I'd probably use carbon. For my general use stainless is just a little easier to deal with. I have diamonds so ease of sharpening isn't really a factor to me.

Speaking personally here, although I'm sure some will agree; the reason I am attracted to stainless steels like M390, S35VN or S110V is because I want steels in my folding knives to hold an edge for a long time while being corossion resistant... Toughness is a negligible concern for a cutting tool in most of my day to day.

That said, I also like carrying my CRKT Sting in 1055 (54-55 HRC, iirc), specifically for abusive cutting tasks, as well as light to moderate prying or scraping. I always have my S35VN Ulu for general utility, and usually some variety of folding knife.

When it comes to outdoor (camp) chores, I have a particular fondness for SK5, O1 and A2, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at something like 14C28N.

I think there are plenty of folks out there who like a carbon steel knife. But I also think people like to mix it up, too. I really like a nicely done carbon steel blade and I tend to favor them, but I also have knives in S35VN, S90V, CTS-XHP and probably a few others I am not remembering. Those were purchased because I really liked the knife, not because they are made of those particular steels.
I like a patina on my carbon steel knives. It just gives a knife some character and no two are alike. I enjoy maintaining my tools and knives are no exception, so I won't shy away from it. In fact, if I can have a knife that is available in both, I will almost always take the carbon steel version. But to each their own. At the end of the day, chances are that your life won't be drastically affected by the type of steel you choose to carry.

Another good debate for you guys. Why do so many people seem to knock plain old simple carbon steels these days? Steels that have been used for forever and have worked for centuries. Steels like 1055 all the way up to 1095. Now I know about all the newer "super stuff" out there and have some myself and will probably get more because I'm a steel junkie lol, but I still love and use my knives in 1095 because they just work. Just don't understand people that stick their noses up to a steel that will more than likely do anything they want it too and would last a lifetime doing it too.
I think a lot of people just want to know they have the "best", especially gear guys. Even more.basic stainless like 420, 8cr13, 14cr28v, when done right they take an edge and if you know how to sharpen and maintain a knife, its all the same on the stones IMO. Hour to touch up every month, or 10 minutes to touch up every week. The time is all even by the end.

Also, Ive seen a thread talking about people want to individually test the rockwell hardness on their knives. I think its hilarious. It is important for people to KNOW their steel is good but they cant differentiate or sense it themselves so they want it verified. If you cant tell, then why does it matter to you?

Last edited:
There is no reason that maintenance of a 1095 blade should ever become a hindrance. I read somewhere recently that a thin wipe of nasal sebum, readily available wherever you are, will keep a 1095 blade rust-free for months. Or words to that effect.

Two of my most used knives (over the past month or 2) are carbon steels. Love 'em.
8kq5.jpg

I think there are plenty of folks out there who like a carbon steel knife. But I also think people like to mix it up, too. I really like a nicely done carbon steel blade and I tend to favor them, but I also have knives in S35VN, S90V, CTS-XHP and probably a few others I am not remembering. Those were purchased because I really liked the knife, not because they are made of those particular steels.
I like a patina on my carbon steel knives. It just gives a knife some character and no two are alike. I enjoy maintaining my tools and knives are no exception, so I won't shy away from it. In fact, if I can have a knife that is available in both, I will almost always take the carbon steel version. But to each their own. At the end of the day, chances are that your life won't be drastically affected by the type of steel you choose to carry.
I also have a lot of great steels because they came with the design i wanted. It bugs me though, because i dont want the fancy steel amd it makes the knives cost more, which i think is another reason for the supersteels. The higher cost the materials, the more profit per knife. If you can output x knives in a given time, may as well make them titanium and m390 and charge $300+.

I think it has a lot to do with price point of knives these days.
Carbon steel like 1095 is a great steel easy to sharpen and takes a keen edge. You usually see it on the more economy side of knife offerings. With makers going to high end handles like carbon fiber and fancy embellishments it doesn't make sense to put carbon steel on an expensive knife, people expect super steel at the higher price points. Those of us that are knife aficionados never knock a good carbon steel knife.

I think people knock the price point more then anything, I know in a recent thread someone said "never pay more then $50 for a 1095 knife" or words to that effect. This is completely delusional as it doesn't come close to covering the labour let alone the materials if made in a 1st world country yet the same person probably gets paid that an hour to sit on their ass at a desk all day. Craftmanship and time is undervalued by consumers that are used to cheap foreign imports.

I guess I don't think the majority of people knock carbon steel blades ... I think sometimes people that are newer to knives or that are getting started now ... stainless is what the see getting the most attention in magazines or even posts on here talking about the newest "super steels" ...

But people that grew up around carbon steel blades or that do their research and try carbon steel blades do appreciate the qualities that some carbon steels offer ...

But honestly I think many younger people starting out or people new to knives hear all the attention the new steels get and they want those and just haven't gotten to experience alot of carbon steels ...

I love my D3V CPKs and I like M390 and Elmax alot ... and AEB-L may well be my favorite steel of all ... but I love M4 and 52100 or 5160 or CV1095 for certain uses.

I know I'm not organised enough to properly take care of most carbon steels. And with how good stainless steels are now, it's a pretty easy decision.

I hate rust and dislike patinas so 1095 is not an option for me. I'm not interested in extra maintenance to ensure a corrosion free blade. Out of the 100 or so pocket knives I own I have around five old Schrade Waldens with 1095. I seldom carry them and greatly prefer my stainless bladed knives. I own two GECs (both 440c) but would never consider buying one in 1095. I'm just not a fan of carbon steel.

I love my carbon steel knives, but I also really appreciate stainless living so close to the ocean.

Back