Why?

Wasn't really saying carbons will vanish altogether, just mainly questioning their popularity with the future generations in the distant future. Just a random thought that popped into my head and nothing really serious lol.. just thought it would be interesting to get others opinions on. But yeah like others have said, I don't see them going anywhere either. Carbons are always needed in some situation and some people will always prefer them. Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm learning a lot on this forum so far and I do appreciate it.

I understand blacksmiths start with carbon steel as it is relatively inexpensive and easily available. Knives made with it are just fine overall. It's the handmade stuff that pushes me to the more modern steels. I don't buy knives expressly for resale ever, but knowing I can sell a knife for something approaching original cost down the road is useful. So, take a knife maker who uses carbon steel and forges his blades.... great stuff. But down the road who would want the blade for anything close to original purchase price? This is the trend I sense going on.... old handmade knives unless the maker is special, completely loose their value.

I believe nobody actually cares on factory made knives.... but handmade, many care. It comes down to knives are essentially consumable products with almost a time date that nobody speaks of.

I understand blacksmiths start with carbon steel as it is relatively inexpensive and easily available. Knives made with it are just fine overall. It's the handmade stuff that pushes me to the more modern steels. I don't buy knives expressly for resale ever, but knowing I can sell a knife for something approaching original cost down the road is useful. So, take a knife maker who uses carbon steel and forges his blades.... great stuff. But down the road who would want the blade for anything close to original purchase price? This is the trend I sense going on.... old handmade knives unless the maker is special, completely loose their value.

I believe nobody actually cares on factory made knives.... but handmade, many care. It comes down to knives are essentially consumable products with almost a time date that nobody speaks of.
I think ABS Mastersmith knives generally hold their value or go up. The majority of those makers are using carbon and low alloy steels.

I just don't see the point unless we're talking about the higher end materials. Why choose something less capable if you don't have to? Other than tradition for traditions sake that is, something which doesn't interest me particularly.

Why make one word thread titles like this? Not to be a curmudgeon but it's almost like it's click bait.
Actually no, not click bait at all. I typed the whole thing out and was in a hurry afterwards, so I just titled it to whatever came to my mind at the time and "why?" was simple and fast. At the time I didn't see it as a problem as I'm new to the knife forum, but I do apologize to everyone and I will never do this again on my future threads.

The ultimate question is "Does it really matter if you use your knife as a knife?" Carbon vs stainless.... rust issue choice. And I am mostly referring to handmade knives with this statement not some $15 knife made in 440A.

I like pretty knives and shiny things, thus stainless is my friend. I still get knives in non-stainless even some customs. Even though I care for them, stuff happens and they get pits or pepper spots, especially on back springs. Some makers don't use stainless and I want their work.

Because they don’t really use their knives to understand the merits of a properly tempered carbon steel blade

Nothing wrong with 1095. Many of my fixed blades are 1095 and work just fine. I don't think I've ever had a folder with 1095 or carbon steel tho.

Somewhere back in the day, I wrote a mini treatise on this very subject. It had something to do with my utter hate for rusting tools, although back at the farm, my grandfather used a double bit Kelly for years without taking too much care of it. The axe was kept in the shed for the most part. If memory serves, the tool was doused in 30 weight motor old maybe twice a year...

Fast forward and I find myself using WD40 as a quick preventative measure, all the while knowing fully well that this is just a band aid solution to an age old problem. I have a bottle of mineral oil for the safe queens and some Rem oil for the remainder. Then of course, one has to take the time to apply the oil.

These days I favor stainless blades for the hunt having settled on 154CM as a middle of the road approach. My stripped SR101 knives have brought me joy in spades but I am careful to clean and oil them up following use. There is no magic bullet...no Talonite coupled with Rockstead geometry that can stay sharp forever while being as tough as S7 pounded through angle iron.

I agree.

The OP imagined a problem that is really not a problem, in the opinions of most serious knife users.
No one really knows if it will be a problem yet or not as the future is still untold. I just simply brought up a "could happen" scenario that may or may not happen and it wasn't meant to be taken seriously as if it's actually going to happen because I honestly don't know what will happen. Just thought it would be a fun conversation to spark up the imaginations and curiosities of others that were interested in conversing on the subject. "What if" scenario's are always good conversation, that is unless you're not into those sort of conversations. I also enjoy learning through the opinions of others as I'm sure others do as well. To each his own though and thank you for your opinion.

Welcome to the forums!

Another good debate for you guys. Why do so many people seem to knock plain old simple carbon steels these days? Steels that have been used for forever and have worked for centuries. Steels like 1055 all the way up to 1095. Now I know about all the newer "super stuff" out there and have some myself and will probably get more because I'm a steel junkie lol, but I still love and use my knives in 1095 because they just work. Just don't understand people that stick their noses up to a steel that will more than likely do anything they want it too and would last a lifetime doing it too.

No one really knows if it will be a problem yet or not as the future is still untold. I just simply brought up a "could happen" scenario that may or may not happen and it wasn't meant to be taken seriously as if it's actually going to happen because I honestly don't know what will happen. Just thought it would be a fun conversation to spark up the imaginations and curiosities of others that were interested in conversing on the subject. "What if" scenario's are always good conversation, that is unless you're not into those sort of conversations. I also enjoy learning through the opinions of others as I'm sure others do as well. To each his own though and thank you for your opinion.

Your first post presented a problem that you've noticed and the resulting posts from members mostly debunked the notion.

Not sure how that was to be construed as a "what if" scenario with the way you worded the post.

I have both stainless and carbon in my pocket right now, the former for one handed opening and the latter because carbon keeps cutting.

Oh, and "Why?" is a click bait title, but no harm done. ;)
Enjoy the madness.:D

Discussions and debates are great but not if they are based on false or unrealistic assumptions. Carbon steel really isn't an issue. Nor is laminated steel. There is no real "showdown/conflict" possible between a Kabar and a Buck 119.

All seems to remind me of an old SNL bit where they did a show called "What If?" where they answered questions like "What if Superman grew up in Germany instead of America?", "What if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly?", and, if I recall, "What if George Washington had a robot friend?" :D

Back