Will CPM154CM ever die???

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPM 154CM is the powdered version of Crucible's standard 154CM.
No. It's not. CPM-154 is the powdered version of Crucible's standard 154CM. There is no such alloy as CPM154CM.

I'll take one more shot at this. If you can point out in Crucible's statement or on a Crucible data sheet where they refer to the alloy CPM-154 as CPM154CM, I will send you a free knife at my expense.

How's that?

Last edited:
I'm still seeing knifemakers, dealers, and users refer to a nonexistent alloy . . . CPM154CM. Not only does that alloy not exist, it isn't even POSSIBLE for it to exist by definition. Why, you ask? Because 154CM is NOT a particle steel and CPM stands for "Crucible PARTICLE Metallurgy". It can't be both a PARTICLE steel (CPM) and a NON-PARTICLE steel (154CM) at the same time.

We're dealing with TWO different alloys here . . . 154CM and CPM154. 154CM is the predecessor and CPM-154 is the particle version of 154CM.

You're mixing up production methods with alloys. CPM is not an alloy, it is a trademark that Crucible uses to describe powder-steel production process. So with CPM 154, the alloy is 154CM and the processing method is CPM.

Are you also outraged that someone sells CPM M4? Do you think CPM is one alloy and M4 is the other? M4 is the alloy, not CPM.

Saying CPM 154CM is as consistent as saying CPM M4 or CPM D2.

The real problem here is that you are arguing that CPM 154 is a different alloy than 154CM. Crucible says you are wrong. And you have presented no evidence to the contrary.

The only thing I'm arguing is that Crucible doesn't make an alloy called "CPM154CM". Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to prove me wrong. If you're able to do that, there's a free knife in it for you. I'd suggest you try not to go too far afield with production methods, other alloys and my state of mind. Just stay focused on the mission if you can. And good luck! :)

Last edited:
When they come out with a CMCPM154CMCPM I will be all over that!

A three page thread about the validity of an alloy's moniker?

CPM 154 is just 154CM, except it is made using particle metallurgy which creates finer carbides. Using the name CPM 154CM is just a way of saying it is 154CM that was created using particle metallurgy. Technically, there is no S30V, it us supposed to be CPM S30V. Do we give a maker or manufacturer a hard time when there is no CPM physically writtenbefore the S30V that is on the blade?

Gooeytek is NOT the person I made the offer to. But if Gooeytek wants a free knife, I will send one to him. He knows how to get in touch with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back