Woods Bladeworks TiTAN PRE-ORDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
#6 is still getting the final fluff and buff. Sorry MSGBN! My leather stropping belt broke when I was finishing the edge on #6 Monday night. Damn belt wiped around and smacked the finish leaving a mark on the blade (lucky gloves saved me from losing a finger or two). I'm re-blasting it, re-stone washing and then re-lasering the maker's marks. I just can't send you a knife with an inexcusable blemish. I'll finish it ASAP and send it out next day air. The flame anodizing on the Ti looks amazing with the SW finish! Good choice.

Will-Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that all of your fingers are intact. No problem on time frame and looking forward to seeing some photos of the frame & scale.

Got my TiTAN today and I love it! It's such a freak of nature :p

I have one critique/suggestion to fix some potential problems with this knife...add a lock-bar stabilizer. Whether it is licensed from Hinderer or your own design.
The reason for this is 2-fold. First, because the lock-bar is so long it lends itself to being overextended when unlocking. It is like any lever, the longer it becomes the more it will flex. Take a 2x4 that is 6 inches long in your hands and try to bend it, probably not happening. Now take a 2x4 and make it 12ft long and stand at one end and you can probably bend it substantially, thats what I mean.
Second, when the blade is closed and the stop pin resting on the lockbar, if I squeeze on the closed knife, the lockbar flexes downward which causes the blade to contact the second standoff, not the one at the tip of the blade, but the standoff right at the belly of the blade. With a lock-bar stabilizer like on a Hinderer knife, it prevents both of those issues; overextending the lock-bar outward, and squeezing the lock-bar downward.

Otherwise, I'm incredibly pleased with this beast.

Got my TiTAN today and I love it! It's such a freak of nature :p

I have one critique/suggestion to fix some potential problems with this knife...add a lock-bar stabilizer. Whether it is licensed from Hinderer or your own design.
The reason for this is 2-fold. First, because the lock-bar is so long it lends itself to being overextended when unlocking. It is like any lever, the longer it becomes the more it will flex. Take a 2x4 that is 6 inches long in your hands and try to bend it, probably not happening. Now take a 2x4 and make it 12ft long and stand at one end and you can probably bend it substantially, thats what I mean.
Second, when the blade is closed and the stop pin resting on the lockbar, if I squeeze on the closed knife, the lockbar flexes downward which causes the blade to contact the second standoff, not the one at the tip of the blade, but the standoff right at the belly of the blade. With a lock-bar stabilizer like on a Hinderer knife, it prevents both of those issues; overextending the lock-bar outward, and squeezing the lock-bar downward.

Otherwise, I'm incredibly pleased with this beast.

I'm glad your pleased! You guys rock! Thanks for all the reviews, pictures, and emails.

I have noticed the lock-bar flex as well. I have taken steps to insure that the blade won't touch the standoffs on closing the knife with channels machined into the standoffs but you CAN squeeze it firmly when its closed and force contact between the blade and blade and standoff. A stabilizer is an excellent idea that I plan on integrating into TiTAN 2.0. My goal is to deliver the best knife I can make and over time as I progress as a maker and my skills increase I will integrate design changes and features to make these knives the best they can be. Hinderer is a great example. Rick has been making the xm-18 for a decade and is on his 4th generation of that design. I can only hope to have a fraction of the success and talent that he has developed over his career.

If you begin to integrate a stabilizer into any follow-up versions of the TiTAN, you should look into the possibility of updating current TiTAN's with that option with a fee for your labor.
I know I would want that option and be willing to pay for your work if it was offered to the original 15. It can only make my current TiTAN that much better and more likely to be used as opposed to becoming a safe queen.
Regardless, keep up the great work, Will.

Took a couple quick pics for a size comparison. Just reiterates how HUGE this thing is...
First pic here is with a Hinderer XM-18 3.5", a George VECP, and a Para2.
knife2.jpg

This next one is with my largest fixed blade, Ka-Bar USMC. Also my smallest folder, Curtiss Nano! :eek:
I literally have no knife as big as this thing!
knife1o.jpg

and believe it or not, I actually pocket-carried the TiTAN today lol. My right leg is sore :rolleyes:

So I showed the Titan to my brother. After handling it for a minute he pretty much summed it up in one sentence. "This is a knife you bring to a gunfight". I laughed my ass off at how true it was and now I tell it to everyone as I show it to them!

Well I think I may be the first that can say I have been bit by the allfuckingmighty TiTan. I got a crash course in roller bearings, 8 ounce blades, and gravity. I split my thumb webbing earlier showing one of my friends the knife. "Look how effortlessly this thing closes man! Oh shit...." I would post pictures but I cleaned it and glued it on the spot.

Well I think I may be the first that can say I have been bit by the allfuckingmighty TiTan. I got a crash course in roller bearings, 8 ounce blades, and gravity. I split my thumb webbing earlier showing one of my friends the knife. "Look how effortlessly this thing closes man! Oh shit...." I would post pictures but I cleaned it and glued it on the spot.

Man I can't even count how many times I've cut myself making the blades and tuning the action on these monsters. I guess if your gonna poke the bear be ready for the claws!

Well #6 and #9 would have gone out this morning if it wasn't a damn government holiday. Post office was closed... funny how everybody else works on Columbus day. Oh well they go out in the morning so you guys will have them this week one way or the other. Here are some pictures to satisfy your blood lust. I'm still working on #11-15, progress is being made and they will ship ASAP.

Took #6 outside so the light would make the flame anodization pop but it was overcast. Still looks fantastic but on a bright day each and every scratch from the stonewashing shows up as a spectrum of color.

DSC01620.jpg

DSC01621.jpg

DSC01622.jpg

#9 is a real classy combo of brushed, stoned, and blasted. Especially love the brushed clip on the stonewashed lock-side slab.

DSC01618.jpg

DSC01617.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

DSC01619.jpg

I wish I had asked for serial 1-5.... I'm number 11 and waiting PATIENTLY AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA YEAH RIGHT< PATIENTLY... ;]

I still haven't had a chance to go pick mine up. :(

I'm directly in que behind you.... so I do so feel your pain. I have yet to see a teaser pic of my blade. But it is said that patience makes us stronger and builds character. But were Americans for the most part dammit! We are weened on instant gratification and immediate reward. MUST HAVE NEW KNIFE FIX!!!!!!!! :)

I wish I had asked for serial 1-5.... I'm number 11 and waiting PATIENTLY AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA YEAH RIGHT< PATIENTLY... ;]

I'm directly in que behind you.... so I do so feel your pain. I have yet to see a teaser pic of my blade. But it is said that patience makes us stronger and builds character. But were Americans for the most part dammit! We are weened on instant gratification and immediate reward. MUST HAVE NEW KNIFE FIX!!!!!!!! :)

Thank you for your patience gentlemen, it will be rewarded i guarantee it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back