World's Toughest Folding Knives

^^^ This.

I am surprised it took until page 2 for someone to mention the RAO...Bolt/Pin lock, I don't think there is anything stronger.
Useable? That wasn't the question!

Well, the Cold Steel 4-Max outdid the RAO for toughness by a bunch.

Would be cool to have balisongs here.
Of course, yesterday I had three knives on me while taking a picture of a knife propped up on the Ontario Superior Court of Justice sign right across from the police headquarters downtown, and no one seemed to care. :D
Free enough for me for now. :)

The heat is worse than freedom levels these last few days...yuck.
And no knife seems to be helping that, no matter how tough. :(

Looked it up. Interesting. O1 tool blade nice. Kinda pricey but then again so are quality balis.

Free is a relative state. When no one is looking we are all free. When they are looking goes back to laws on the books routine. Ill take my laws over yours.;)

Weird cold here today 65f this morning. High 80s f rest of the day. Yesterday mid 90s f. I like the heat and humidity though. Ill take high 90s f and 90rh over those brutal winters up there. Was in Montréal last december..froze my rear off. They told me i was there in a warm streak too. No thanks. Deep South for me.

^^^ This.

I am surprised it took until page 2 for someone to mention the RAO...Bolt/Pin lock, I don't think there is anything stronger.
Useable? That wasn't the question!

That knife has lock rock after harder use. And that was beaten by CS 4-Max like stabman wrote.

Weren't they also tested against CS and not even the 4 Max and still lost kind of easily.
Lock strength might not be what you are after but if wildsteer advertises as worlds strongest lock and as good as fixed but it isn't it might be worth reconsidering.

I don't know about the test. The OP didn't ask for lock strength, just toughest folder.
The wildsteer can supposedly lever arrow heads out of a tree, but I think the design allows that to happen keeping all the forces in the same direction as normal cutting forces. I obviously don't own one.

Twistmaster. Invented by the French and perfected by Lynn Thompson.

Alex, the larger Opinels, the #9 and #10, are the toughest knives I've ever used in terms of resisting damage from hard cutting. They can also be dropped in dirt or sand and the joint remains both functional and safe.

I don't rely on locks to keep a knife open. All locks have the potential of catastrophic failure and cutting off a finger. If I need to pry or baton with a knife, I move to fixed blade.

If you want to stab car hoods with impunity, stick your head in the Cold Steel echo chamber. Their owner is a god and will reattach your fingers for free under their warranty program.

Out of all knives I would probably vote for the Benchmade Adamas as the strongest, followed closely by one of the thicker Tri-ad Cold Steels like the Spartan. I say Adamas as strongest because while the triad tested to be a little stronger than the axis, the blade on the Adamas is thicker, and the blade is the usual breaking point. Of the failure tests I have seen for Benchmade, the blade broke before the axis failed in almost every case.

That said, if you need anything stronger than a radiused liner lock, you are no longer in folder territory. The lock is there in the even something goes wrong, if you rely on it regularly you should use a fixed blade because it doesn't have that point of failure. If a fixed blade fails the blade will snap apart, not buckle and cleave your fingers off. No matter what, a folder will always be weaker than a fixed blade of comparable design (obviously a paring knife will fail before most well built folders). Solid steel beats pieces of steel basically every time.

BM Adamas

[video=youtube;LWz_JLXgIL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWz_JLXgIL0[/video]

That Slav guy has some cool videos, no bullshit. For those who don't have time - blade survived but it has big lock rock.

Fred Perrin about triadlock. Video is French, but you see what you need.
[video=youtube;_1JyaTXdA1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1JyaTXdA1I[/video]

Last edited:
Well, the Cold Steel 4-Max outdid the RAO for toughness by a bunch.

Isn't it the RAO that developped serious rattle after very moderate hard use on a Youtube test? (with the pin in place)

It was a test by a guy from an Eastern European country. I thought that was really shocking...

Gaston

Isn't it the RAO that developped serious rattle after very moderate hard use on a Youtube test? (with the pin in place)

It was a test by a guy from an Eastern European country. I thought that was really shocking...

Gaston
I saw a test by a German developing rattle but it turned out to have been a Chinese fake.

A folder is only as good as its locking mechanism... tri ad lock on cs and demkos are solid, axis lock on benchmades are just as good as well. The blade will likely brrak off before these locks fail. Framelocks are strong but tend to give/slip/fail if you go cheap.

Not if you're cutting with it...

Back