Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Buck made in China as a gift for someone who I knew A) would appreciate and carry it and B) wouldn't care about the country of origin. I bought a 373 for my mom's guy (he's in his early 70s) and he LOVES it. Carries it literally every single day. Personaly, Buck purchases I make for ME will all be USA-made.

Buck makes enough quality knives here in USA at competitive prices,why would I want an import Buck?
This country has lost enough jobs to mexico,china and I choose not to support that,regardless of the quality/price.
The Selkirk is a great lookin knife, but I can't get past the China Mfg on it...Make it Here!

I absolutely agree with this as well.

I own and use some Chinese knives but they just don't do it for me like MADE IN USA does.

In most cases my answer is no but this little 328 Graduate got the best of me. I wanted a small, clipless one hand opener about this size and I figured if I'm going to get one it might as well say Buck on the blade.

I like everything about it except where it was made.

The only Chinese Buck I would even consider is the Selkirk Had a chat with Buck who said Bos went to China to help them set up their heat treat. I still would like to see Buck bring all production back to the US

This thread really isn't about Buck knives. It is a forum for political and cultural opinions, sometimes with a little bit of economic opinion thrown in.

What are the actual feelings about the quality of the knives?

Why don't we limit comments to people who have actual experience with these knives?

Bert

Last edited:
they are decent for the price points. i dont think they are worth the savings when there are many american made bucks for a bit more. least not for me. i get for others a 10 spot or 20 spot more or so is more than they can handle. so its good buck has these chinese made knives available for those folks.

This thread really isn't about Buck knives. It is a forum for political and cultural opinions, sometimes with a little bit of economic opinion thrown in.

What are the actual feelings about the quality of the knives?

Why don't we limit comments to people who have actual experience with these knives?

Bert

The 328 Graduate that I posted above is a decent quality knife for the price in my opinion. Lockup is solid with no play in any direction. The closing detent is plenty strong enough to keep the blade closed. Edge came very sharp but needed refined on a strop. Blade is centered when closed.

Since I posted my photos yesterday I have found one thing that I would not like if this knife cost even $5 more. The washers in the pivot are white in color and appear to be made of plastic. At $28 shipped I'm not complaining about that. Just pointing it out.

I like the knife and I think the design team at Buck did a good job with this one. It's unique and while there are plenty of one hand openers in this size range (3.25 inches closed with a 2.5 inch blade) with removable clips, finding one with no clip at all wasn't all that easy.

Yes if the blade is CPM S-125-V, the handle is 4 axis milled Titanium, the pivot has 72 ceramic balls, the pocket clip is carved out of Titanium, and the Ti handle is anodized bright apple green.

Here is a Buck 388 out of a gift tin, I bought second hand and didn't pay my too much attention to it due to price. Back spring was broken. I don't know what the makeup is of the Chinese steel that is used on the Chinese Buck knives but this particular version has seen better days.

Last edited:
I havent taken it in yet.maybe next week.

Just curious. Was visiting the Buck homepage to look at some information about the Colleague, Nobleman and Lux. and there were some nasty comments about how Chinese Bucks are garbage and trash and general turnoffs.

Nope.

I'll pay $30 on a Buck 110 instead of $18 on a Chinaknife.
Also, I'm not a Spyderco guy, but It would be nice to see more S30V offered by Buck, and a return of 440c.

Here is a Buck 388 out of a gift tin, I bought second hand and didn't pay my too much attention to it due to price. Back spring was broken. I don't know what the makeup is of the Chinese steel that is used on the Chinese Buck knives but this particular version has seen better days.
Buck had a problem with back springs breaking back in 1980 with the 703. They were too hard and IIRC they would break without even having used the knife. Buck addressed the issue promptly. The knife pictured above could have a similar issue though one not exclusive to its overseas origins.

Last edited:
Buck had a problem with back springs breaking back in 1980 with the 307.

I think you have a typing transposition; that was the 703 when it first came out. Larry Oden's article on the 700 series talks about it.

Bert

Last edited:
This thread really isn't about Buck knives. It is a forum for political and cultural opinions,

Bert

You're right about that. Funny thing, those opinions. I have a Japanese Buck from the 90s that I once looked on with scorn, now I think it's kind of cool. Railsplitter's photos of the Graduate look good to me, but I can't get over my prejudices. I am conflicted.

You're right about that. Funny thing, those opinions. I have a Japanese Buck from the 90s that I once looked on with scorn, now I think it's kind of cool. Railsplitter's photos of the Graduate look good to me, but I can't get over my prejudices. I am conflicted.

I don't remember that.

Am I just experiencing Old Timer's Disease or was there really a Buck made in Japan in the 90s????

Last edited:
My memory of the date may be flawed. I think I bought it around 1998. It's a liner lock with a blade at each end and a black plastic handle. I don't remember the model, but it has Japan stamped in one tang and Buck stamped on the blade.

Edit: Does B275 Sekiden sound familiar? I don't mean to hijack the thread.

Last edited:
Oh......OK.........maybe my memory is still functioning.

That sounds like a copy (mean fake) that shouldn't have Buck stamped on it.

Last edited:
Reitwagen,it is the Ecco B-275, believe it or not I saw one on the internet recently,just like you say Japan stamped on one blade Buck on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back