Would you buy a stainless GEC in something other than 440C?

Would you buy a stainless GEC in other than 440C?

• Total voters

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you hate stainless and would never buy a stainless GEC, please move on and stay out of the thread.
This thread is not about carbon steel vs. stainless.

Some folks here in Traditional prefer stainless blade steel. GEC doesn't make many.

GEC has said that they won't run stainless because the 440C is hard on their tooling. This is a true statement. However, only Queen used 440C for their traditional pocket knives. Other companies used 440A. The old Schrade catalogs say that they hardened 440A to 58HRC. Phil Gibbs, former designer at Camillus, has told me that Camillus did the same. 440A at 57-58 is pretty good stuff. A bit better than Buck's 420HC, which Buck runs at 58-59.

440A does not have carbides. It's a bit tough to stamp because the annealed hardness is still high. But it should not cause undue wear to the tooling. Unfortunately, 440A has a bad reputation because so many other manufacturers have run it soft. So that's a negative for that choice.

A popular alloy which does not contain carbides and can be fine blanked is Sandvik 14C28N. This alloy has high corrosion resistance, takes a wicked fine edge and can be hardened to 60HRC. The downside of this alloy is that it is less well known outside of the modern knife realm. This is a modern alloy and I've not seen anyone use it for traditional patterns with the exception of one custom maker.

There are other Alloys which would not cause undue wear on the tooling, but which would be stainless and perform well.

So the question, would anyone other than me buy a stainless GEC knife in something other than 440C?

I come from a generation that 440C was pretty awesome. Could field sharpen no problem, held a nice edge for a good while & it's stainless for COL. I'd fork over a few more $ to see how Sandvik might perform.

440C isn't my favorite stainless steel (I find it rather difficult to sharpen) so if they made a knife in some other flavor of stainless, I suppose I'd be willing to give it a try. Inox Opinels are Sandvik, aren't they? I could go for that.

440C isn't my favorite stainless steel (I find it rather difficult to sharpen) so if they made a knife in some other flavor of stainless, I suppose I'd be willing to give it a try. Inox Opinels are Sandvik, aren't they? I could go for that.
Opinel uses Sandvik 12C27 hardened to 58. That would be another option.

I would like to see them use 14c28n. This steel is very durable. It is easy to sharpen and very stain resistant. If they did harden it a little harder than Kershaw, it would impress the most discriminating collector.

While I like 440C, I like 14c28n even more. I’m always impressed on how well it performs, it’s fine grain, and relative toughness.

In my opinion a GEC utilizing this steel would be a great option. I think it would enhance the fine slicing ability.

For traditionalists, it may be hard to swallow having a Swedish steel on an American knife.

Of course this is merely my personal speculation.

Honestly, I would buy GEC's in just about any stainless steel. Heck, I already buy GEC's on a regular basis and I don't even prefer carbon steel. I'd be all over any stainless steel as long as I liked the pattern.

I voted 14C28N because I think it sounds good and would like to try it.

I would be happy to try a GEC with a SS other than 440C. If I found I didn't like it there's always the exchange. :D

Looks like I am in the minority!o_O Perhaps if I had more experience with the more modern stainless, so I'm stickin with 440C but NO 440A for me Thank You!;) I like 440C very much!!!! I LOVE my Eric's Jack!!!!!!:D

Dave

Honest question, not trying to be a smart a.. but don't all the steels mentioned so far have carbides.

Not to the extent that they affect the wear properties.
For a steel to have enough carbides to affect wear, the carbon content has to be above 0.77%

440A is 0.65% carbon
12C27 is 0.5%
14C28N is 0.62%

Looks like I am in the minority!o_O Perhaps if I had more experience with the more modern stainless, so I'm stickin with 440C but NO 440A for me Thank You!;) I like 440C very much!!!! I LOVE my Eric's Jack!!!!!!:D

Dave
"no" is a valid response.

Not to the extent that they affect the wear properties.
For a steel to have enough carbides to affect wear, the carbon content has to be above 0.77%

440A is 0.65% carbon
12C27 is 0.5%
14C28N is 0.62%
Thanks
I voted, "No. I would only buy stainless GEC knives in 440C."

For the following steels, 14C28N, 440A, 12C27, 420HC & x55CrMo14. Short answer is no way.
GEC's are running $80 to $130, I'm not paying that much for any of those steels.
I have a Rat 2 in AUS8 and it's not bad but it was only $28.

1095 is as low as I will go, between my Queen City, Queen Workhorse, old Camillus and 6 GES's I have enough 1095.

I would love to see GEC try out some Sandvik or other no-carbide stainless alloys. I'll add the caveat that in addition to the blades, I'd want all stainless furniture.

I would be all for it :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Not that I have anything against 440C...just don't mind trying alternatives. Some of the other SS would be great.

I voted for 14C, but I’m 80% sure it’s not even in the running. I just wouldn’t expect GEC to use an imported steel. I would much, much prefer 14C to 440A, though.

Back