Would you buy a stainless GEC in something other than 440C?

Would you buy a stainless GEC in other than 440C?

• Total voters
I didn't see this thread before so thanks to Modoc ED for linking it. I have a bunch of 1095 users so I haven't been buying more GECs, haven't for years at this point. I'm not very picky on my stainless steels but would like some more GEC patterns in stainless, preferably some 2 bladed jacks.

But my main point is the GEC has already run other stainless steels besides 440C. Mainly 420HC in their FF&F knives and a few #73 SFOs.
651213-fff-nifebriteF1.jpg

Most of the GEC made Cripple Creeks and some other SFO knives used 420HC also.

I'm a big fan of 1095, but I'm also a big fan of good stainless steel. The 3 Kershaws that I use the most have 14C28N. It is an excellent steel and I'd love to see GEC use it or something similar.

I would hope that using Swedish (or other imported) steel would not be a problem. GEC already uses imported materials. Excepting for zoos/exotic ranches, we don't have Sambar deer or camels or giraffes in the USA... or ebony treefarms/forests for that matter, etc.

Here's hoping that GEC finds a way to continue to make knives with good stainless steel and that the day will come when most or all production runs will offer a stainless option.

I *think* I chose the correct option, but let me clarify, just in case: Yes, I would buy stainless GEC knifes made from something other than 440C. As to which steel, I don’t really care.

The specific steel a knife has isn’t particularly important to me, as I am of the opinion that the heat treat is much more important than the steel itself. Furthermore, when it comes to *stainless* steels ease of sharpening is more important to me than edge retention. Hardness is overrated, IMHO.

I know the folks at GEC read this forum. There have been too many coincidences of something being mentioned in a discussion, then seeing that same thing produced a few months later. I would like them to make morew runs in stainless. I totally understand that 440C is hard on their tooling. I'm trying to get them interested in making stainless knives out of something that won't wear their tooling, but still has a good market. Nobody wants to make knives that just sit on the shelf.
More choices are always better for the consumer. By this point in time GEC has already shown they are very conscientious about putting out a good product. I would have no issue with any of the alternative steels mentioned. For those who are balking due to the price of the knives, that's an entirely different problem. There are people spending $300 on 1095 knives, and as much as I love that steel, I think that's ridiculous. We have the speculators to thank for this. I was fortunate to pay less than $100 a piece for all the Tidioutes I bought before the insanity hit.

Last edited:
Based on my use of the last Forum Knife over the past couple of months, I'd certainly like to see 154 on GEC knives. It's very nice stuff!
A while back, Case made a run of torched bone trappers with satin finished 154CM blades. That's an awesome knife. I wish they would do more like that.

I've long ago written off GEC as a source. because they offer nothing in stainless. I have three of their models in 440-C, a steel that was notable a few decades ago, but have seen nothing more in recent years. So much fuss is made about 1095 but, to my understanding, it's simply an early, basic tool steel that, with excellent heat treatment, can produce decent results. It's otherwise nothing to consider as special.

I've long ago written off GEC as a source. because they offer nothing in stainless. I have three of their models in 440-C, a steel that was notable a few decades ago, but have seen nothing more in recent years. So much fuss is made about 1095 but, to my understanding, it's simply an early, basic tool steel that, with excellent heat treatment, can produce decent results. It's otherwise nothing to consider as special.
What GEC really sells, is nostalgia. Their knives are simply what pocket knives used to be. If you were to take people from the past and give them the opportunity to buy a stainless steel pocket knife, many would be delighted to have one. Stainless steel was invented for a reason. I love carbon steel. But if Boker put out a 2 bladed swell end jack in N690, I'd buy one. I loved the Queen knives in 440C and D2.

Honestly, I would buy GEC's in just about any stainless steel. Heck, I already buy GEC's on a regular asusl. I'd be all over any stainless steel as long as I liked the pattern.
I'm in the same camp as Rick
I voted yes another stainless without carbide but to be honest my knowledge of steel is quite poor.. I'm satisfied with the stainless I've used by SAK but I'd buy any stainless GEC.

Since we are reviving this thread I will throw in my $0.02 and I will say I am in the camp who doesn't bother with carbon steels so anything that gives me a quality knife in a SS I am happy with. I am leery of 420HC and 440A only because outside of Buck I haven't had good experience with 420HC and I have had no good experience with 440A along with my personal preference be a hardness ideally 59+. There are loads of great steel choices and many already mentioned in this thread that would work.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to (easily) buy any GEC at this point...
But a Stainless #66 Stockman with strong pulls would send me over the top.
It could be made of 440C or anything "better" and I'd be happy.
Although, I do love my 1095 Carbon, but variety is the spice of life.

GEC has said that they won't run stainless because the 440C is hard on their tooling. This is a true statement. However

This is the key for me. We don’t know what tools are affected, whether they are easily replaceable or irreplaceable, and what the other business impacts are.

According to the internet Cyclops Steelworks factory produced a whole range of steel products - its a huge opportunity, not to mention a marketer’s dream, to tap into that history.

Back