Would you buy a stainless GEC in something other than 440C?

Would you buy a stainless GEC in other than 440C?

• Total voters
I’ve had several French knives and a German knife in 12c27 and 14c28n and they’ve performed beautifully both in terms of sharpening and edge retention. The 14c28n is cryo treated on the ones I own, but I thinks that is standard. Sandvik steel is pretty widespread in European traditional knife making and has a long, solid history. Those who love GEC and stainless couldn’t go wrong with 12c27 or 14c28n.

I voted yes on 14c28n and also on other low carbide stainless (12c27, 13c26, AEB-L, etc.). These can all be run just as hard as 440C and will take a finer edge, providing all the edge holding and stain resistance I need from a pocket knife. Not in the poll, but I would gladly pay more and get even better stainless, like CPM-154, Elmax or M390.

Those Sandvik steels being imported are subject to the recent tariff increases. Add in the expense of shipping from across the pond & I don't think Mr. Howard will go that route.
Unless a source of USA produced steel that they can obtain tooling for is found I don't think we will see much if any SS from GEC.
I have no complaints with their 1095,but I own enough of it,too much really & probably will pick a couple of favorites & sell off the safe Queens.

oldtymer oldtymer Good points about the import costs of Sandvik, however, tariffs are often political measures and can come and go pretty quickly ;) They could try importing Russian stainless....;) it's very like Sandvik and works excellently on fixed blades:thumbsup: I'm surprised American mills don't make their own version of Sandvik, or do they? Surely steel type isn't patented?o_O I'm basically at a similar point to you with my GEC herd, lot of carbon, much has been used a bit-developed patina -thus degrading its selling or trade value:rolleyes: Lightly used stainless does not show the same problems :cool:

As a bit of an aside, I know that I recently read comments here on BF that GEC did, in fact, buy some new equipment. Can anyone share what it was that they bought? I thought it was for cutting blanks, but I may be misremembering.

If you are misremembering then so am I.

I seem to recall that somebody mentioned the #14's may have been one of the first patterns to be made with the new equipment. The little "burr" or whatever it is on the swedge was thought to be caused by the new way of cutting blanks.

Last edited:
Not knowing if 440B is still available, wouldn't that be an option too? I think that's basically what AEB-L is, keeps you out of the 440A stigma and is easier on the equipment than 440C, in theory. I think it would add some familiarity to the 440-series of steel over AEB-L or sandvic, mostly.

I haven't read all 5 pages of this thread but am I correct in stating GEC will no longer make knives in stainless due to the wear and tear on their tooling? If that is the case I have no interest in any of their offerings.

I haven't read all 5 pages of this thread but am I correct in stating GEC will no longer make knives in stainless due to the wear and tear on their tooling? If that is the case I have no interest in any of their offerings.

The #99 Wall Streets in 440C are on the production line right now. Not sure what the future holds.

I have plenty of 1095 knives and stopped purchasing more as other knife manufacturers are using good stainless steels. I understand their tooling issue also they have so realize 440C will be no more. Sure hope they replace it with another SS.

Is it the carbides, or the size of the carbides? CPM-154 is pretty much the same as 440C but with smaller carbides. We picked it for the forum knife because it can be stamped. Is it as hard on machinery as 440C?

I would buy whatever stainless they used. That way I could carry my GEC's more than six months a year. It's a shame to have such good looking, well made knives that I can't carry...

Those Sandvik steels being imported are subject to the recent tariff increases. Add in the expense of shipping from across the pond & I don't think Mr. Howard will go that route.
Unless a source of USA produced steel that they can obtain tooling for is found I don't think we will see much if any SS from GEC.
I have no complaints with their 1095,but I own enough of it,too much really & probably will pick a couple of favorites & sell off the safe Queens.
US Steel prices also go up with tariffs so I think that will have less impact than other factors (such as the shipping you mentioned).

I'd buy one in 14C28N, 13C26, AEB-L, Nitro-V. (or CPM154 if it were on the table)
These first batch (minus the CPM154) all in the razor steel range, and no troublesome carbides. They can all be run harder than 440*. I'd love to see one of these steels at 60Rc in regular availability. I have two GECs in 1095, but never carry them because I don't want to sweat on them. Maybe this winter they'll see some action?

I'm all set with 440* - never need to own another 440* blade in my life. The family is Ok if you need a tough stainless, but I want higher hardness. And the razor steels are among the toughest, so. Another problem with carbides (the larger ones) in a skinny blade is you need a steeper edge angle to avoid tear-out. Meh. Want me a razor in my slippies. :)

ETA:
The AEB-L chemistry (and probably its relatives from other mfrs) has been around a long time. How old does something have to be to be considered traditional? 154CM was put into production in 1959. We can do a lot better than the 440 series while avoiding the 21st century.

Last edited:
So far I only have one stainless GEC, Dog Paw 33. Based on it I’d buy another in the same stainless, and I’d be on board with whatever steel they were to use as I trust GEC to use quality materials and proper heat treat.
I generally prefer carbon on my traditionals but I really think they should do a run of beerscouts in stainless, considering they can get beer splashed all over them or like mine one night, get passed around and dropped in the snow repeatedly at a party, stainless seems fitting.
My favourite steel is Cruwear. I have an Enigma in US2000 which from what I’ve been able to find out is essentially Cruwear. I’d love a GEC in it!

YES! If they made regular releases with any decent stainless alongside the 1095, I would buy more GEC's, the stainless ones. It would be interesting to see them do a couple runs of a popular pattern split down the middle between 1095 and a decent well heat treated stainless, and see which one sells out first ;)

I voted early but made no comment; I’ve been very happy with the stainless steel knives that Buck and Case have produced over the past 40-50 years using standard grade stainless steels. I would love to have a Stockman of the quality made by GEC using any appropriate SS - I’m not picky on which one as long as it is normal blade steel and I can keep an edge on it. That would be a nice addition to my pocketknife selections. OH

Back