Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

This thread deserves a bump and not only for the knives and what they mean to us. From the $5 special given to us by that special person to the custom that I've posted and not because of its quality or price but what it represents. Special mention goes to the man who contributes so much to "The Porch" and teaches us about more than knives. Thanks Jack Black Jack Black . View attachment 1042358
What an extraordinary knife, Alan!

Thanks for the bump. Was thinking of doing it myself because I've enjoyed reading this thread. I will probably post mine by the end of the week--I believe Jack's closing the thread Jan. 1.

Thanks for the bump. Was thinking of doing it myself because I've enjoyed reading this thread. I will probably post mine by the end of the week--I believe Jack's closing the thread Jan. 1.

I might leave it open, but all entries for Your Knife of 2018 by Midnight on December 31st (in whatever time zone you're in) please :thumbsup:

I have greatly enjoyed reading all of the entries for everyone's knife of the year. This has been such an enjoyable thread for me. I love reading about everybody's preferences. My choice for knife of the year actually surprised myself. What contributed to it also was the KSF knife slip which made carrying it so easy in my work uniform. It rides perfectly in my left front pocket every workday. I don't even realize it's there even though it's a fairly large package. I use it daily for food prep and reaching down into the bottom of the peanut butter jar's. I really enjoy peanut butter and crackers on my breaks. I also use it at home for food prep and it makes the perfect steak knife. And as Duncan mentioned earlier I use it when I visit restaurants as well. I was fortunate to find proportioned stag scales that feel perfect in my hand. My knife of the year is the GEC 43. And I don't see it leaving my pocket anytime soon. Hope everybody has a great Christmas and a wonderful 2019.IMG_5532.PNG

Well, what a year! I used to buy a knife every few years, and have only ever had a handful at a time. I think I had half a dozen at the beginning of 2018. I have acquired 15 this year, thanks to BF:

45551994675_17c0b23cab_k.jpg

I am not going to go over each one; most were purchases, some were gifts. I carry about 9 or 10 of them. I might have posted a couple of weeks ago, but I received my 2018 Forum knife on December 10. Since it was ineligible to be considered for the 2019 Knife of the Year, I wanted to give it a fair shake. The Forum knife, a two-bladed Buck 301 with elk scales, is very nice indeed, and I am definitely hanging on to it. It is a great memento of my initial membership in BladeForums, and it has seen and will see some pocket carry. But it is not my Knife of the Year.

It really has to come down to the three I carry most. The first knife I bought in my new hobby of "collecting", and before I joined BF, was a Case amber bone trapper with SS blades:
45650633284_305200d4ec_k.jpg

It is a beautiful knife, and the perfect size for slicing BBQ, or anything. It feels really good in the hand. I think a single-blade trapper would feel too thin to me. I often carry it in a belt sheath so that I can also carry something else in my pocket. I award it a Bronze Medal.

The Silver goes to a relative: the Case amber bone medium stockman with SS blades:
45650633234_ffdb84e58d_k.jpg

I carry this one frequently, and it is a perfect size for EDC, regardless of apparel. I love the convenience of having three blades in such a small package.

But my Gold Medal has to go to a knife whose pattern is new to me. I had never heard of a "lambsfoot" knife before this year. I cannot say that the lambsfoot blade is necessarily my favorite--I do love my clips and spears--but it is a fascinating shape. While I do prefer to cut my meat with a clip blade, the lambsfoot is certainly up to the job. And while I like my multi-blade knives, the lambsfoot is sufficient for most knife-purposes.
Most importantly, I have been "charmed" more by this knife than any other in 2018. It is "Ashley's Choice," a lovely Sambar stag lambsfoot from A. Wright & Son Ltd, Sheffield, England, with thanks to Jack Black Jack Black .

Behold the lambsfoot:
46128815872_bdca7a82ea_k.jpg

My 2018 Knife of the Year.

Last edited:
Well, what a year! I used to buy a knife every few years, and have only ever had a handful at a time. I think I had half a dozen at the beginning of 2018. I have acquired 15 this year, thanks to BF:

I am not going to go over each one; most were purchases, some were gifts. I carry about 9 or 10 of them. I might have posted a couple of weeks ago, but I received my 2018 Forum knife on December 10. Since it was ineligible to be considered for the 2019 Knife of the Year, I wanted to give it a fair shake. The Forum knife, a two-bladed Buck 301 with elk scales, is very nice indeed, and I am definitely hanging on to it. It is a great memento of my initial membership in BladeForums, and it has seen and will see some pocket carry. But it is not my Knife of the Year.

It really has to come down to the three I carry most. The first knife I bought in my new hobby of "collecting", and before I joined BF, was a Case amber bone trapper with SS blades:

It is a beautiful knife, and the perfect size for slicing BBQ, or anything. It feels really good in the hand. I think a single-blade trapper would feel too thin to me. I often carry it in a belt sheath so that I can also carry something else in my pocket. I award it a Bronze Medal.

The Silver goes to a relative: the Case amber bone medium stockman with SS blades:

I carry this one frequently, and it is a perfect size for EDC, regardless of apparel. I love the convenience of having three blades in such a small package.

But my 2018 Knife of the Year Award has to go to a knife whose pattern is new to me. I had never heard of a "lambsfoot" knife before this year. I cannot say that the lambsfoot blade is necessarily my favorite--I do love my clips and spears--but it is a fascinating shape. While I do prefer to cut my meat with a clip blade, the lambsfoot is certainly up to the job. And while I like my multi-blade knives, the lambsfoot is sufficient for most knife-purposes.
Most importantly, I have been "charmed" more by this knife than any other in 2018. It is "Ashley's Choice," a lovely Sambar stag lambsfoot from A. Wright & Son Ltd, Sheffield, England, with thanks to Jack Black Jack Black .

Behold the lambsfoot:

Lambsfoot is always an excellent choice!

But my 2018 Knife of the Year Award has to go to a knife whose pattern is new to me. I had never heard of a "lambsfoot" knife before this year. I cannot say that the lambsfoot blade is necessarily my favorite--I do love my clips and spears--but it is a fascinating shape. While I do prefer to cut my meat with a clip blade, the lambsfoot is certainly up to the job. And while I like my multi-blade knives, the lambsfoot is sufficient for most knife-purposes.

Behold the lambsfoot:

Glad to hear it! Great choice!

A lot of great knives posted...It has been a good year for me buying knives...I have custom traditionals from Anders Hogstrom, Dan Graves, Neil Lindsay, Bob Ohlemann and three or four from Alan Davis...looking at them all, though, this one from Alan is, hands down, my traditional knife of the year . . .

upload_2018-12-26_20-6-58.jpeg

Last edited:
I have retitled the thread to include the word "Traditional".
Bmgillum Bmgillum
By chance can you change that to a Traditional knife?

2018 has been a very, very good knife year for me. I've managed to find some wonderful old vintage knives, and have been the recipient of so much generosity, it's embarrassing. :oops:

@waynorth sent me this Bunting, which is now the oldest knife in my collection.
i7st5Df.jpg

Here's a Buck 703 from @Grateful
YuzqPel.jpg

A cool Colonial modified by @Amir Fleschwund
jKLiDIH.jpg

@t.willy sent me an Imperial easy open jack.
4J3aSpx.jpg

@WhittlinAway sent me this Western Whittler to match my avatar picture!
KEBmv6f.jpg

It's hard to pick just one Knife Of The Year, because I appreciate and treasure every knife I've been gifted. I'd hate to have any of these generous friends think otherwise. But since Jack is a cruel taskmaster ;), and insists there can be only one: I have to go with the knife that's spent the most time in my pocket, a present from the head Guardian himself, a small Lambsfoot Knife, in sambar stag that Jack had specially made by A.Wright & Son.
HlgAOrF.jpg

1uXRF7w.jpg

EetsvTz.jpg

2018 has been a very, very good knife year for me. I've managed to find some wonderful old vintage knives, and have been the recipient of so much generosity, it's embarrassing. :oops:

i7st5Df.jpg

YuzqPel.jpg

jKLiDIH.jpg

4J3aSpx.jpg

KEBmv6f.jpg

It's hard to pick just one Knife Of The Year, because I appreciate and treasure every knife I've been gifted. I'd hate to have any of these generous friends think otherwise. But since Jack is a cruel taskmaster ;), and insists there can be only one: I have to go with the knife that's spent the most time in my pocket, a present from the head Guardian himself, a small Lambsfoot Knife, in sambar stag that Jack had specially made by A.Wright & Son.
HlgAOrF.jpg

1uXRF7w.jpg

EetsvTz.jpg

That’s an unreasonably attractive lambsfoot, and a great set of runners up!

I have had a lot of knives come and go this year. Had some I really liked, but, none that fit the theme of this thread until a few weeks ago. A very late entrant, a knife I didn't think that I would like, but, that has become a daily carry and one I reach for when I get home and it wasn't in my pocket. I was not a fan of Stockman nor a liker of the Turkish/California clip, but, the GEC 82 dixie Stockman has become a favorite. I had settled on my favorite in my daily carry rotation, but, this knife will definitely split days as my EDC carry. Cannot wait for the 82 Possum skinner, it may be an early entrant in 2019.

DixieStocman_BF.jpg

I have had a lot of knives come and go this year. Had some I really liked, but, none that fit the theme of this thread until a few weeks ago. A very late entrant, a knife I didn't think that I would like, but, that has become a daily carry and one I reach for when I get home and it wasn't in my pocket. I was not a fan of Stockman nor a liker of the Turkish/California clip, but, the GEC 82 dixie Stockman has become a favorite. I had settled on my favorite in my daily carry rotation, but, this knife will definitely split days as my EDC carry. Cannot wait for the 82 Possum skinner, it may be an early entrant in 2019.

View attachment 1043812
Which one is it? Have to pick ONE. ;)

i7st5Df.jpg

YuzqPel.jpg

jKLiDIH.jpg

4J3aSpx.jpg

KEBmv6f.jpg

HlgAOrF.jpg

1uXRF7w.jpg

EetsvTz.jpg
Nice!

I picked up somewhere around 150 knives this year. Got a few customs, some old, some new. Some untouched, some beat all to heck. Still this is my favorite, and it's getting a lot of time in my pocket. It just may be my favorite knife.

saKcvVu.jpg

Back