Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

There have been so many great knives this year. For me though, it was finally finding (and paying way too much) for an older knife, my personal grail, a scratted ancient TC. It is a perfect, timeless knife and I really hope to see something along the same lines of these again some day, but if not, this one will satisfy me for decades to come. I absolutely love this knife, and there is truly something about it as my wife, who isn't a "knife person," continues to borrow this one out of the 60 or so choices in my chest... she refuses all of the others much to my dismay.

Buy her some knives of her own!

My collection went from a few to several in 2018. My primary carry was of course a Case yeller peanut which I just adore. I was ecstatic to acquire a 1965-1969 Case 6225 1/2 which nudged the peanut out of my pocket...but only for about a week.

full

I also got a Case red bone sowbelly from @The Fort which is super sweet. Carried it a fair bit. A "semi" (?) grail ebony GEC 78 was obtained from @Mingecutter. I haven't been able to bring myself to carry it but it sure is pleasing to my eye. I was also able to acquire a few Winchester Black Box's (coffin jack, half whittler, and small toothpick) which are all super nice. But...one of my other "semi" grail's came my way via @black mamba and it is my KOY. The impeccable Churchill:

full

I’ve only been here for a little while and it’s been great this whole year. Finding out about GEC and spreading out from exclusively having Case and Buck knives was really cool. The quality of GEC knives is great, but the inability to go to a store and check them out before buying put me into a “buy every pattern that comes out and see if you like it” kind of situation. So I’ve been exposed to a lot of new patterns this year.

This is a tough one. I went through the knives that have made it into my pocket more than others this year.
Here they are followed by a short(ish) word about each.

P5CzQjs.jpg

The 78s I got earlier in the year were very nice. Single blades ended up being what I favored. I keep my nails pretty short and the pull on them threatened to fold my thumbnail more than once. I added an EO notch to my single blade smooth white bone and it remedied that and made it a favorite.

The run of 14s was really fun because it got me into interacting with dealers and confirming a spot on reservation lists. I like the look of the Due South single blade a lot, but the functionality of the two blade in my photo is awesome. And since it’s not the Lick Creek (which I love, but am terrified to use) I have no problem actually putting it through its paces.

The 2018 BladeForums knife is another highlight in a year of them for me. I didn’t have the post count to qualify, but the kind folks that organized the whole thing were gracious enough to let me slide and i couldn’t be more grateful. I’m really hoping to add more stainless and modern steels to my knife rotation after my experience with this knife.

Long winded, I know. Here’s the final three:

w4hChMP.jpg

The 35 was a revelation. The thinness of the single spring and the useful combination of blades makes it nearly perfect for constant carry. The hummingbird acrylic is the icing on the cake. In sunlight it’s just breathtaking. I’m looking to get another of these to get custom covers on. Speaking of which...

WlWVpnH.jpg

My next runner up is this 56. It started as a pheasant acrylic “Bird Dog”, but I sent it out to @Jfowl31 to get some custom covers put on. I’m a lifelong Dodger fan and always gravitate towards blue. This isn’t Dodger blue, but it’s so much nicer and has more character to it that I don’t care. I love carrying this knife because, even though it’s only covers and not a true custom, it’s mine.

My final bit of ranting, and my actual Knife of the Year is this beauty:
lfasspa.jpg

Yeah, I’m not the only person to name the Ashley’s Choice my knife of the year, I know. But, look at it. It’s perfect. It introduced me to a new pattern, the sambar stag is so nice to look at, and the shape of the knife fills the hand perfectly. There’s so much to like about this knife. But, for me, the thing that makes this one truly special is that it was the first time I felt like I belonged here. To me the Guardians thread is kind of a world of its own. But the folks there and Jack Black Jack Black , in particular, are so welcoming. And long before the 2018 BF knife was in my hand, I got my Ashley’s Choice in the mail and got to post it and know that only the other people here and in that particular Guardians thread had one as well. And to me that’s what makes it feel like my Knife of the Year.

Hope everyone has a great new year and I can’t wait to do this all over again in 2019.

Joe

Not a big year for me and traditionals. I traded into a stockman 54? Yellow Rose Jigged bone. I've carried that one a lot.

Here it is in the Irons getting hot for branding...
JAZxrTF.jpg

I picked up this ironwood Whaler. I kicked my self for not getting one from the original release. So I ordered a new release one. Shortly after that, I stumbled on an earlier all steel version for a steal.

LrVuVvx.jpg

My most carried, since getting it is this one. All steel Whaler. It is not tighter, smoother or prettier than my Iron Wood Whaler. It is rougher, dirtier and more dinged up. It has some cancer spots inside and out. That makes it more like my other all steel users!!

3gYeSxU.jpg

X2GxbMN.jpg

About time I make my call as well ... :D

I've added quite a few knives this year. Some I traded and some I bought, often from the wonderful members from our Porch. My knife of the year is not the one I carried most, since well, I only got it not that long ago - again! :eek: And that's the point. It's the knife I thought to have lost last summer and finally found again in my car seat last month or so. It is a well treassured Christmas gift from Will Power Will Power and my first GEC. Not many rock stars or boy bands could pull off such a come back and that alone is reason enough to make it my Knife of the Year. :rolleyes:

lu41T4c.jpg

Mine would have to be the one I got most recently, which probably would not surprise anyone. I thought it would be the 77 Barlow that I rehandled in mammoth ivory recently after taking out the coping blade. I’m sure I’ll carry that one often. I came across a grinling whittler user that I was able to get for a decent price so I snapped it up. I have to say that these are pretty well made knives. You can barely fit magazine paper between all the blades but they also are not touching in the resting positions, there is some blade rub when opening because of having to push slightly to open the secondary blades. There was also some blade rap which would probably not be a problem on the brass lined ones but this one is all steel so it damaged the blade when closing so I sanded down in the blade well,rather than sharpen down the blade so it would not strike the back spring wedge. I think I will carry this one often as the main blade is a pretty good size, about the same as the 77, maybe just a little longer.
128DD8B5-A240-4B64-88AE-392B7EFE2DCA.jpeg

Attachments

• AB2EA216-C8DD-4AAC-A594-6D5DEEC38B67.jpeg
    AB2EA216-C8DD-4AAC-A594-6D5DEEC38B67.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 3
This one was a recent score from the box o knives giveaway, allthough there were many great knives of 2018, this one has really surprised me. It is sturdy and so so slim in the pocket, and the thin blades just zip through stuff so well. Honorable mention goes to my 2018 forum knife that also is on pocket duty with this one. And my trusty old timer stockman. And a really awsome western little fin knife. But this has to be my one knife of 2018. It has been a great year, lots of new beginnings and with that some bittersweet ends. I look forward to 2019 and the next epoch of life (hoping i used that word correctly) i dont post much, but you all are a daily part of my life and i thank you all for your contributions! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Attachments

• 20181231_092832_50.jpg
    20181231_092832_50.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 31
I have been fortunate enough this year to discover how much I enjoy knives and axes. I have been living with a Kershaw Leek and a SAK Cybertool for the better part of 10 years and never really considered anything else. That all changed this year and I purchased 14 knives and 5 axes since April. I definitely like them all, but my top 3 buys are a vintage Kelly Works cruiser axe (which I cleaned and rehung on the original haft), a Helle Dokka and a vintage Opinel No. 7.
IMG-5550.jpg

The axe isn't a knife, so that's out. I am deeply attached to the Dokka, but to my surprise, that little Opinel is just a lovely knife that I am fascinated by. From my research (and I am no expert) this knife was manufactured some time between 1955 and 1967 (the year I was born). If so, it is at least as old as I am and quite possibly older. It has aged gracefully and appears to have been well cared for. I enjoy the idea that it has history and has survived so many years so well. It is inspirational to me. In any event, of all the knives I have accumulated this year, this one is very special to me and is my 2018 knife of the year.
IMG-5538.jpg

I’ve only been here for a little while and it’s been great this whole year. Finding out about GEC and spreading out from exclusively having Case and Buck knives was really cool. The quality of GEC knives is great, but the inability to go to a store and check them out before buying put me into a “buy every pattern that comes out and see if you like it” kind of situation. So I’ve been exposed to a lot of new patterns this year.

This is a tough one. I went through the knives that have made it into my pocket more than others this year.
Here they are followed by a short(ish) word about each.

P5CzQjs.jpg

The 78s I got earlier in the year were very nice. Single blades ended up being what I favored. I keep my nails pretty short and the pull on them threatened to fold my thumbnail more than once. I added an EO notch to my single blade smooth white bone and it remedied that and made it a favorite.

The run of 14s was really fun because it got me into interacting with dealers and confirming a spot on reservation lists. I like the look of the Due South single blade a lot, but the functionality of the two blade in my photo is awesome. And since it’s not the Lick Creek (which I love, but am terrified to use) I have no problem actually putting it through its paces.

The 2018 BladeForums knife is another highlight in a year of them for me. I didn’t have the post count to qualify, but the kind folks that organized the whole thing were gracious enough to let me slide and i couldn’t be more grateful. I’m really hoping to add more stainless and modern steels to my knife rotation after my experience with this knife.

Long winded, I know. Here’s the final three:

w4hChMP.jpg

The 35 was a revelation. The thinness of the single spring and the useful combination of blades makes it nearly perfect for constant carry. The hummingbird acrylic is the icing on the cake. In sunlight it’s just breathtaking. I’m looking to get another of these to get custom covers on. Speaking of which...

WlWVpnH.jpg

My next runner up is this 56. It started as a pheasant acrylic “Bird Dog”, but I sent it out to @Jfowl31 to get some custom covers put on. I’m a lifelong Dodger fan and always gravitate towards blue. This isn’t Dodger blue, but it’s so much nicer and has more character to it that I don’t care. I love carrying this knife because, even though it’s only covers and not a true custom, it’s mine.

My final bit of ranting, and my actual Knife of the Year is this beauty:
lfasspa.jpg

Yeah, I’m not the only person to name the Ashley’s Choice my knife of the year, I know. But, look at it. It’s perfect. It introduced me to a new pattern, the sambar stag is so nice to look at, and the shape of the knife fills the hand perfectly. There’s so much to like about this knife. But, for me, the thing that makes this one truly special is that it was the first time I felt like I belonged here. To me the Guardians thread is kind of a world of its own. But the folks there and Jack Black Jack Black , in particular, are so welcoming. And long before the 2018 BF knife was in my hand, I got my Ashley’s Choice in the mail and got to post it and know that only the other people here and in that particular Guardians thread had one as well. And to me that’s what makes it feel like my Knife of the Year.

Hope everyone has a great new year and I can’t wait to do this all over again in 2019.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I'm touched, and I'm glad you like your AC Lambsfoot as much as I like mine :) :thumbsup:

I've almost waited to late to post this. My time management skills have suffered lately. You would think that a retired person would have all the time in the world. Think again!!! There is always something going on. I have narrowed down my candidates and will list them in order. I have acquired several knives this year. Too many to be exact! These standout!

My 3rd place choice is from Great Eastern Cutlery. This knife is the brain child of Charlie Campagna @waynorth and Bill Howard along with the wonderful crew at Great Eastern Cutlery. The 2018 edition of the Ancient TC Barlow. This knife is one that was meant to be carried and used. As Charlie always says "A Barlow in every pocket!" The knife lived up to the billing. It was made in quantities that probably delivered Barlow Bliss to around 500 people!

42646237494_56a485873a_b.jpg

My 2nd place choice is from A. Wright & Son, Sheffield England! It was secured as an SFO in limited numbers for the Guardians of the Lambsfoot by Jack Black Jack Black Jack Black . These knives were built under the watchful eye of our friend Jack. This knife is one of the 2018 editions, the Ebony. I chose the Ebony over the Horn model for a couple of reasons. First I am the proud owner of two beautiful 2017 Guardian editions in Horn, one being the very limited "Midnight Special". Second, I love Ebony! The Ebony is beautiful on this knife. It may not be jet black like some Ebony, but it is buttery smooth and a joy to carry and handle. It is a special knife!

41553909470_34b1900a6e_b.jpg

My 2018 Knife of the year is, my Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot. This knife is also from A. Wright & Son, Sheffield England! It was also secured as an SFO in limited numbers for the Guardians of the Lambsfoot by Jack Black Jack Black Jack Black . These knives were built under the watchful eye of our friend Jack and were all made by one cutler. Each one is unique, being made with old Sambar that Wright's had available. Each knife is truly special. I know that Jack has invested a lot of his own time and money getting these knives made. With the travel to and from and the headaches associated with getting them made to his specifications, all who are privileged to own one owes a debt of gratitude to Jack. I know I am personally extremely thankful for my Ashely's Choice. I am however more thankful for the friendship of our friend Mr. Jack Black! :D

43755957045_f040671f12_b.jpg

Back