1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Dec 4, 2018.

1. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Congratulations on snagging the tortoise shell 78

2. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I did not buy many knives this year. The Forum knife will bemy most significant acquisition. That one aside, all I bought were a Rough Rider, 470E9926-8242-4002-81C8-E0D91BE05363.jpeg D513E603-3EBD-4387-BE17-4A1E179096CE.jpeg a couple of Mora 511s and a few Opinels for modification. I have not gotten around to doing anything with the 7 and 10 yet. Only the 6 has received any attention, and it now shares pocket time with another mildly breathed-on 6. So the Opinel 6 has to be my knife of the year

Lostball, jwb01, Signalprick and 11 others like this.
  3. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Think this came out earlier this year and been wanting one ever sense. Finally got one in hand and love it took almost a year to break down and buy one but it’s christmas what better excuse
    ECCECCAD-EE51-481A-B702-46CE20CA6DFE.jpeg 9D1F9E0A-0410-4253-AC9D-F014CA30AAC8.jpeg 9E0F508C-EEB4-4CF2-9114-5094419B23D3.jpeg

Mikael W, Lostball, jwb01 and 29 others like this.
  4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2016
    I’ve been fortunate to get a lot of nice knives this year, and maybe I’m breaking the spirit of the thread by not posting something that “surprised” me, but I did get this knife this year. Maybe someday I’ll tell the story, but this unassuming ‘nut accompanied me through a lot in what turned out to be a pretty crazy 2018.
    E32F403B-6FE6-41F6-8DA8-2FBFB0FE345D.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Lostball, jwb01, Signalprick and 22 others like this.
  5. JITDC

JITDC Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Very tough choice this year. 2018 saw quite a few wonderful knives come my way. Some of them were new and some were older users. For starters I narrowed the list down to four great contenders presented in no particular order.

1. #14 smooth white bone is a real stunner, excellent fit and finish, small but fully capable for 99.9% of my daily tasks.
    2. #15 ebony TC Barlow, what else is there to say about this one, for me its perfect.
    3. 1971 Case 9 dot 6207 with beautiful covers, blades centered and snaps open and shut like gator! Still a bit pocket shy but working it into rotation.
    4. #66 Calf Roper hemlock green bone - my first stockman
    1.jpeg

Based on my choices its obvious I prefer clip/pen jack knives in various sizes over just about any other pattern. The ebony TC saw more pocket time than any other knife and will still continue to be my go to choice. However, during the elimination process I was reflecting on what was new or different about this year and decided to make my knife of the year more of a pattern of the year. One that I had not carried before and grew to appreciate more and more each time it slipped into the pocket, one that proved to be extremely practical and great to look at. The stockman!

Pictured here are three of my favorites acquired this year.
    1. 1965-1969 CaseXX 6332 Medium stockman in chestnut red bone.
    2/3. #66 Calf Roper's in hemlock green bone and green canvas micarta.
    3.jpeg

But since we have to pick only one here is mine. This smallish pocket knife punched way above its weight for me this year! It saw a good bit of pocket time and performed tasks I wouldn't ask my TC to do (only for fear of shortening its lifespan). Memories of using it as a mini pry par, trim nail hammer, flat heat screw driver and blades cutting everything from food to drywall to plastic pipe come to mind. AND... it still manages to clean up nicely and look oh so purdy!

The #66 Calf Roper in Hemlock Green Bone is my knife of the year for 2018!
    2.jpeg

Nature Boy, Lostball, jwb01 and 32 others like this.
  6. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I had a very active year of collecting some really exceptional knives so as I was going through the chronological list for 2018, I was soon lol because I saw that I could not pick one. However one did stand out as one I couldn't keep my hands off and did end up using very pleasantly on a hunting trip. A Boris Krylov knife with a Finnish forged Altti Kankaanpaa blade. The wood-lined superb leather sheath provides a snap and secure fit that is outstanding. I have seen many prettier sheaths but never one as good (strong words; ymmv). a4.jpg

7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Barrett A haul of excellence there for sure, but my vote goes to the Burlap 71 Bullnose, I like the pattern a lot as it has such thick scales but that Burlap :cool: Astounding:thumbsup:

Thanks, Will

btb01 and Fodderwing like this.
  8. BenjaminRush

BenjaminRush Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Appaloosa

9. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I’d have a hard time not picking that one also:thumbsup:

10. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    @glocktenman

Hey there my glocktenman,
    @paulhilborn - my good friend gifted me the Knife, Swamp Kauri is our massive big Kauri Tree that grows ( if left untouched by the ever invading Human race ) for up to two to three Thousand years old.
    We have few left that size, The great civilized man came and took everything from this small untouched Paradise - including cutting Down utterly irreplaceable beautiful Trees, Giant Rimu, Totara and Kauri's etc.

Well Swamp Kauri are the Fallen Kauri that have been very well preserved in the Swamps since before any ( Known or recorded ) man has set foot in New Zealand, so we are talking usually Swamp Kauris at 40 Thousand years old.

Kauri doesn't have a massive Grain that our N.Z Heart Rimu has, rather a very fine and even wave throughout the wood, what made Kauri so usable was it's Strength, great for building Boats, and Houses etc, quite a light Coloured Wood - if you were to describe it - a Mellow Golden Glow - that has no real distinctive Grain, in fact I find it quite boring only when compared to N.Z. Heart Rimu which is exciting- rich in Red / Brown colours and a lovely grain, Rimu when working with it on the older Houses is near impossible to remove from Architraves etc as it splinters extremely easily if tweaked once nailed in place.

The Swamp Kauri on this Knife I am not sure if GEC stained the wood, or if it was nearer the Bark and naturally stained from the Peat.

Gec did a run some years back with the amazing 57 Wrangler - Oh man what a Knife! Stout as can be that Main blade is, along with a strong Punch and good Stout Pen / Spey Blade as well, so here are the Photo's- please excuse the very last-of-the-daylight Photo's....
    Thank you again Paul for this gorgeous Knife my friend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  11. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Just fabulous Duncan! Thanks for the pictures. I was also looking forward to your answer to glocktenman’s inquiry.

Campbellclanman and dc50 like this.
  12. waverave

waverave Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Wow what a great thread :) This will be my first time participating but a whole lot has happened in the time I've been here. I've received gifted knives which I hold dear and there are a lot of others in my collection now that I could go on about but there is one that really stands out for me. In the spirit of your original post "Maybe it was a knife you didn’t think was going to be that special, but it has absolutely CHARMED you." - the knife of the year for me is the Smooth Deep Woods Green Bone SFO 14. This one wasn't even on my radar when the 14's were announced but my tastes were evolving at that time. Some of the green bone knives I saw from the rendezvous started grabbing my attention and then photos of these 14's pop up and I realized that I had made a huge mistake :D Luckily, the Porch helped me get one and I am absolutely CHARMED :) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    GEC_14_OldeTowne_SFO_02.jpg
    GEC_14_OldeTowne_SFO_03.jpg

13. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    That's a beauty. Love the boot shield.

Chief, waverave and dc50 like this.
  14. t.willy

t.willy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2016
    That's a sweet lookin little knife and it's got a cool shild ta boot. :p

Ratbert, Chief, JohnDF and 3 others like this.
  15. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    The term “half” whittler gets used pretty often. We can call this “a third” whittler. Hehe couldn’t resist

Old Engineer and dc50 like this.
  16. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    @waverave that green bone is off the hook. I loved westerns as a kid (and still do) but didn't pull the trigger (pun).

dc50, Prester John and waverave like this.
  17. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I've been enjoying this thread (Jack starts some good ones, don't he?). Several days ago, I said I would post something "next week" because I was going on a trip. I am still "on holiday", as they say in the UK, in Fort Worth, Texas having a great time, despite the cold, rainy weather. But I have learned that I should have a new knife in my mailbox when I return home Monday evening. There will still be three weeks left in 2018, so I think it only fair to give the new knife a chance. And who knows? I could be surprised by a knife or two for Christmas. I will most likely post my nomination during the final week of the year.
    But keep them posts coming! Really enjoying them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Jack Black, Campbellclanman and dc50 like this.
  18. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Wow! That 77 is Stun-NING! What wood is that?

19. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Really enjoying reading everyone's contributions :) :thumbsup:

It's flown for me too Barrett :) Great to see that TC Barlow here - Yes, that HAS to be the one doesn't it? - A most well-travelled knife indeed, including making a trip to Sheffield :) :thumbsup:

btb01 likes this.
  20. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Many of the pics from these old threads will undoubtedly be missing, but I thought I'd post some links to past similar threads, going back to 2014 :thumbsup:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/your-traditional-knife-of-2017.1536817/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-traditional-knife-of-2016.1452776/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-knife-of-2015.1352217/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-knife-of-2014.1248497/

Nature Boy and btb01 like this.