Your EDC approach...

Over the years, I've tried the two knife thing but, it does not last long. Fixed blade with folder normally. I still do it some but not much. The folder in right front pocket and FB on the left hip.

Also tried the folder/multi-tool idea and will do it from time to time but, once again, not very often. When I do, the folder rides in my right pocket and the MT rest in a horizontal pouch on my belt. I have been known to carry a second folder the same way. I don't remember any time that I hade a FB, folder, and a MT.

What does work well for me is the main EDC folder on my person and a SAK or MT in my Jeep Cherokee. My wife has a SAK and a MT in her KIA.

I've found that carrying a Leatherman Squirt PS4 on my keychain to be super handy.

It's 2x the size of a Victorinox Classic, but you get the pliers! Super utility / OZ ratio!

I'm SURE you know that the Leatherman line exists.... :p

So.... If that's the case.... Then you just prefer your much cooler loadout! :D:thumbsup:

That whole package weighs less than the typical full-sized Leatherman, and I can do a lot more with the paraiiel jaws than a needlenose. I can cut it back a lot more if I sub a peanut for the three knives and add a P-38 and a Sears 4-way key ring screwdriver. But this is more fun.

Generally speaking, my EDC needs relate to my job duties. I generally carry a small flashlight (EagleTac Clicky Ti), MT (Juice S2), and a 3.25-3.75" knife, as well as some odds and ends, e.g. pen, mini-tape measure, first aid supplies, etc. The flashlight and MT, for me, generally see the most use. The dedicated knife is just a matter of convenience, as its much faster to slip the knife out of a pocket, flick it open, cut whatever needs to be cut, and slip it back in my pocket. When I travel it's common for me to only have my LM Juice, and use the flashlight on my battery backup.

I used to be super into the whole "EDC" thing. I carried a daybag that contained at least three knives, FAK, a flashlight, a backup flashlight, a giant key-ring of garbage little "tools", a pry-bar, means of lighting a fire, all this other stuff, CC firearm, etc. That damn bag had to weigh at least ten lbs, and of course it was a Maxpedition, because heh, of course it was. Nothing like carrying a big sign saying "ROB AND/OR SHOOT ME FIRST".

Then I realized that it was absolutely and utterly overkill and worse, was just me buying into a fad. I'm on Instagram and I see how silly and ridiculous EDC can get for some folks (no hypocrisy, I take pics of pretty things I'm not actually carrying around all day just like most of 'em). It's just not my thing anymore. Therefore, most days I am carrying a single knife, a fountain pen, and a handkerchief and I leave the daybag at home. I work in a, let's call it "non-permissive environment", so the aforementioned carry works for me. I made the switch something like three or four years ago, and haven't looked back. Not once in all that time have I had a moment where I have needed something I would have carried previously. I work in a lab all day, so the only time I use the knife I'm carrying is when none of my coworkers are around. We aren't technically supposed to have them, though I adhered to that rule for all of a week. Just to clarify, when I say I'm carrying a single knife, it's usually an Olamic, an Emerson, or one of my high end knives. On the absolutely rare occasion where I need to cut something, I see no need to do it with something I don't take pleasure from using. This setup works for me.

I got into the EDC thing too about 7 years go, but never went as far as the assorted titanium mini-multi tools that hang on the key ring and pill case and special EDC bag.

I hate carrying crap in my pockets, so I've minimized everything. Cell phone has a flashlight that's good enough, one set of keys with no additional fobs or beads or tools. One small folding knife and a wristwatch. I also use a super thin card carrier instead of a traditional bi-fold wallet. I'm a teacher by trade so I really only use my knife to cut a piece of fruit, open a supplies box or cut some loose thread. Simple and light. Works for me.

It's just comforting to have a knife with you. I used to just carry whatever cheapo little folder I happened to have on hand. But about 3 years ago, picked up a mini-grip, and was impressed to have a sharp knife with me. It's alternating duty with a R2D2 lately. Neither are high dollar to most on this forum by any stretch, but both are sharp, stay sharp for a reasonable period of time, sharpen up fairly easily, and perform admirably in extensive light use for a variety of tasks.

Unless I'm golfing or working out, one of those two is in my pocket.

I base my primary knife carry on where I will be working and what I will be doing. I will usually pocket a slip joint, Opinel, or a small fixed blade like a Mora Eldris for the city. I carry whatever I want when working upstate, but always try to carry something that is suitable for what I plan to do. My primary knife rotates, but there's always a Vic Classic on my keyring and SAK in my backpack.

Cool pics as usual but c’mon man...Coors light?;)

Thanks. It IS the cowboy beer. With a crew of about 20 when we brand we'll go through3/4 thirty packs in the two days. Usually get 1 of "yellowboys" and the rest "silver bullets".

It looks hot out there! Coors Light is practically just water lol so at least he's staying hydrated :D

Absolutely! Very important! And we don't discriminate here on our ranch, sometimes we'll use the "yellowboys" to wash down the dust. Here waiting for the neighbor to back up his trailer so we can load his strays at the end of the day. More edc:

k0RPEq0.jpg

I usually carry 2, a bigger (or heavier) knife and a smaller one to do more detailed cutting. It's easy to strip cable with my para 3 or 0770cf, but much more awkward with my 0562 or amalgam. However my Manix 2 can do the job because I developed a way to hold it like a pen... Lol its ergos work for that, I'm sure others could too however.

Or I just carry what I want to that day. I might have 2 smaller knives, or 2 bigger ones. But the variety in blade shapes makes up for it!

Large folder in my right rear pocket. Either a Buck 110 or Opinel 9.

Leatherman Micra in my front pocket. Knife blade rarely gets used.

Larger Leatherman in my EDC bag. Usually a Juice.

I can barely really EDC anything in my country neither.

I usually carry a TSA approved Gerber multitool, a stainless A.G. Russell Stockman and a Victorinox Compact. If I'm out in the forest hunting for fatwood and chaga, I carry my Northwoods Mackinaw fixed blade, a Leatherman OHT, a hatchet, a foldable saw and a hand shovel.

If everybody was honest, I bet there would be a high percentage of answers saying “a large folder to look at and play with, and an SAK to do all the actual work”. :/

ETA - I completely stopped carrying my SAK so I wouldn’t use it to the exclusion of my other knife.
I carry a Vic Small Tinker day to day now. It handles 95% of everything I do with a knife these days. It used to be the 111mm Vic Adventurer model (side lock) which I carried for about 15 years. Tried something smaller and found that I seldom cut anything that requires a larger knife and it's easier to carry a small pocket knife than a larger one.

My carry approach is to have the Small Tinker as my primary and currently the Benchmade Mini Presidio II folder in addition when I feel like carrying two knives. In the past it has been a Spyderco Native, Delica, Steelwill Mini Cutjack or occasionally an Endura, or a ZT.

I seldom carry a fixed blade in an urban environment although I have a number of knives that would work perfectly. I almost always carry a fixed blade if I am in the woods. I consider this approach both a safety measure for potential harder use needs in the woods and a backup to my SAK. If I have a carry bag in the woods, I often will have the SAK Trekker inside for the larger blade and the saw. In general, the SAK does almost all my routine cutting and I suspect one could for just about everyone else on this forum.

I wouldn't call myself a minimalist but the knife carry trend has been toward small and medium sized knives based on my cutting needs. I have tried larger knives and I just don't find them comfortable to carry unless I have a specific need. I keep a larger folder, a fixed blade, and a machete inside my vehicle if a need should arise.

I'm a pack rat when it comes to the tools etc in my bag or truck, but in my pockets I'm a real minimalist. Flashlight, knife, screwdriver bit, USB drive, wallet, phone. Sometimes I throw a SAK SD Classic in the mix.

FwFD8PI.jpg

I pretty much only carry a folder. 90% of the time stainless variation. I was a bigger knife guy (3.5"+) for a long time but I've found a new appreciation for 3" and under blades. I only carry a fixed when camping or hunting. Other than that I have my watch, phone, wallet and a pen.

3 inch folder, Leatherman Style PS (non bladed with scissors) and a small dedicated tape cutter at work.

BM 940 for actual cutting tasks, Leatherman squirt ps4 for the screwdrivers and pliers

I tried a bunch of other knives and combinations, but this pair seems to work very well for me. I might consider adding an Alox SAK classic to my keys though

1. Wake up and stuff
  2. Put on pants or shorts
  3. Dig through knife drawer looking for something that piques my interest
  4. Put that knife in my pocket and go on about the rest of my day
Today it was an Alox Cadet, yesterday it was a full sized trapper, the day before it was a TSA compliant leatherman.

Back