Your first knife/your first Becker

Padruig,

I know this is the Becker forum, but if you want to introduce your daughter to folders, as they do have their place, the venerable Opinel might not bother her quite so much.

Also, you have a couple of cute kids!

@Aikiguy Always love seeing pictures of kiddos using knives responsibily :) The 11 was my first becker and I might pass on that tradition to my son. :D

My first knife I had to buy myself on the sly with my mother's help who let me get it on the sly, grand dad was a big hunter out doorsman and he taught my mother EVERY thing and she taught me. My dad was all "You don't need a knife!" mind set type. And then when he found out I had a knife. A Western knife with a nice classic look and good carbon steel blade. "That's to big!" I think it ran about 5 inches. Maybe 4. I used that knife for years, from small game to big game, where my "To Big Blade!" was really needed. As dad used smaller and smaller knives to make some inane point on "All you need is a 1 and 1/4 inch Blade to dress a deer!" it got down to later on it got down to an inch. He could field dress a deer with that little Victorix knock off but it took a dang long time! I was forced to learn on the 1 inch knife to dress a deer...I cheated I used a sharp rock when he went to warm up as my hands were shaking red in blood when dressing the deer at -20 degrees. After a while I the Western was literally wearing out, I got some Buck 110s and Scharades to increase my inventory (thanks to mom taking me to where I could get them). Of which ONE knife survived my growing up my dad didn't "Loose" after he borrowed it. That old Scharde is the sole survivor of the knives I had growing up. The Western, well it hung around for a letter opener till it got lost in a move.

After a few hunts of late my old man saw one of my field knifes and said "That's to BIG!" again so I guess I reacted to his way to small blade sized Mentality by getting real sized knives the past few years. And bigger blades.

My first Becker is my Tough as heck "THATS TO THICK!" as my old man says BK2. I needed a good tough full tanged solid middling knife for general work and cutting big things and I wanted a 1/4" thick one to boot that was a saber grind! And a GOOD SOLID HILT! One made fast work of its tasks people used it for. I got "TO MANY KNIVES!" as the old man says I loan a few out when some one needs them.

God Bless Grand Dad for teaching mom the skills she taught me. :D

Edit: Edited Auto-Correct
Thank goodness for your mum. People worrying about how big knives are always puzzles me. Like, haven't they been in the kitchen before??

Congratulations on your little guy, Captain Airyca Captain Airyca ! Sometimes I find myself missing my kids at that age, they are only cute little babies once... Mess, smells, and sleepless nights aside, the journey is worth it, especially when they start achieving independence and decision making skills (then the fun really begins ;)).

I still have my very first pocket knife and my very first fixed blade. A Schrade Old Timer 340T, which I received when I was 10ish(?) and a Buck 119 when I was 16. My first Becker was the one and only, the King, the master of all, the venerable BK-9 which I purchased a number of years ago.

O1fJZ1Y.jpg

aCKThtW.jpg

nqJ2Zbu.jpg

When I bought my son his first pocket knife, I wanted to get him a Schrade Old Timer as well but unfortunately, Schrade is no longer really Schrade and their knives are made in China now. They just don't compare to the Schrade quality of old... So I opted to get him a Vic Huntsman instead and he was enormously thrilled with it.

Here he is around 3 years ago when he was 8.

8uvQIeI.jpg

Fast forward to just last month when I took him to his first Becker West Gathering and he made out like a bandit, taking home an additional 5 knives (I think?). He took home a BK-11 (his first Becker), a Kershaw Blur, a Fallkniven F1 (a knockoff version), another Vic (can't recall the model), and the Snody Snake Charmer (which he traded a BK-13 for, his first horse trade!). He was super stoked, had a great time and is already trying to get more knives. I'd say that he is pretty hooked...
That, coupled with me bringing home a BK-11 and a BK-13 to give to my daughter for her first knives/Beckers, made quite the splash with my kids and they are already wanting to attend the next Gathering...

Here are the two of them, getting this year's Christmas tree. (Note the knives. They insisted, and who am I to say no to knives?!:D)

oG1IC5z.jpg

iiaUMxH.jpg

I know this response is aimed at @Aikiguy but I thought I could speak to it somewhat as I have kids of a similar age (I think). My daughter is 9 and she is rather timid when it comes to folding knives, especially slip joints, which I happen to have quite a few. I like firmer pulls on my folding knives so that, coupled with the inherent "snap", tends to be disconcerting for her. As a result, I have been hard pressed to find "the knife" for her as her first one. I remedied that by bringing her home a BK-11 and 13 from the most recent Becker West and she couldn't have been more thrilled. She took to the 11 immediately and it suits her hand pretty perfectly, though we do have plans to make some wood scales for it in the not so distant future so that could affect her grip a bit. My boy was a bit different and took to the handling of folding knives pretty quickly, not being deterred by the "walk and talk" of slipjoints or the flipping and locking of my more modern folders.

So I guess my takeaway is that every kid is different and plenty of exposure, handling, and teaching will pretty much be in order regardless.
So cool that you still have your first knives. Again, love seeing kids out enjoying knives and nature! Awesome that y'all scored during Beckerwest! It's a fun gathering, that's for sure. As far as your daughter, I am glad she found something that works. I can see why she may be nervous about folding blades. At least she's aware of the fact that a knife can cut you/needs to be safe!

Mt old man just did it to "Prove A Point!" you can use a small knife to do "EVERY THING!" Where I found I can do it faster with a sharp rock than a super little blade!

My first knife I had to buy myself on the sly with my mother's help who let me get it on the sly, grand dad was a big hunter out doorsman and he taught my mother EVERY thing and she taught me. My dad was all "You don't need a knife!" mind set type. And then when he found out I had a knife. A Western knife with a nice classic look and good carbon steel blade. "That's to big!" I think it ran about 5 inches. Maybe 4. I used that knife for years, from small game to big game, where my "To Big Blade!" was really needed. As dad used smaller and smaller knives to make some inane point on "All you need is a 1 and 1/4 inch Blade to dress a deer!" it got down to later on it got down to an inch. He could field dress a deer with that little Victorix knock off but it took a dang long time! I was forced to learn on the 1 inch knife to dress a deer...I cheated I used a sharp rock when he went to warm up as my hands were shaking red in blood when dressing the deer at -20 degrees. After a while I the Western was literally wearing out, I got some Buck 110s and Scharades to increase my inventory (thanks to mom taking me to where I could get them). Of which ONE knife survived my growing up my dad didn't "Loose" after he borrowed it. That old Scharde is the sole survivor of the knives I had growing up. The Western, well it hung around for a letter opener till it got lost in a move.

After a few hunts of late my old man saw one of my field knifes and said "That's to BIG!" again so I guess I reacted to his way to small blade sized Mentality by getting real sized knives the past few years. And bigger blades.

My first Becker is my Tough as heck "THATS TO THICK!" as my old man says BK2. I needed a good tough full tanged solid middling knife for general work and cutting big things and I wanted a 1/4" thick one to boot that was a saber grind! And a GOOD SOLID HILT! One made fast work of its tasks people used it for. I got "TO MANY KNIVES!" as the old man says I loan a few out when some one needs them.

God Bless Grand Dad for teaching mom the skills she taught me. :D

Edit: Edited Auto-Correct
My dad saw my Becker purchase over Christmas and made some uncomplimentary remarks about my need to prove myself with a ‘big knife.’ Nothing against him; he just isn’t into knifes or collecting, well, anything. :)

I've been waiting to post here. I had to go back to my parents place for Christmas. I knew I could find my first knife in some old boxes in my closet.

My first knife was probably when I was 5. It's an old Camillus Cub Scout knife. My dad gave it to me. He said it belonged to someone in my family a long time ago, but he doesn't remember who.

Very shortly after he also gave me an old victorinox mechanic model (I think) I used that to carve my first pinewood derby car. Still carry it from time to time.

In 2002 I got a buck 112 from my uncle. That was a game changer. Still one of my favorites. Used it all through scouts and still use it today.

Can't believe it, but I actually still have all three of them.

IMG_5138.JPG

My first becker was a bk9, that was also a game changer. It was one of my first big blades. And only a few weeks after I got it, I ordered a bk16 and bk11.

Congrats on the little dude, Cap'n!

My first knife was a Kutmaster girl scout knife, bought at a garage sale at age 7 with my very own money (50 cents.)
Carried that thing every day for years. Only have one visible scar to show for it...
When I finally upgraded to a Victorinox SAK (Camper, I think), I gifted the GS knife to my cousin.

First becker was a BK16.
Come to think of it, pretty sure my last (most recent, anyway) BK is also a 16.

I tried giving my daughters Case or SAK folders when they were around 9 and 10. They were happy to use them camping, and in the garage, but didn't want to keep them. Can't carry 'em at school or dance class, anyway. They usually prefer to borrow my Spyderco folders these days. Nephew nearly took a finger off carving a pumpkin with SAK Pioneer saw blade. Now everyone's afraid of slippies.

My first knife was some random cheapo one I picked up at a flea market when I was super young. I started my son off with a mora classic with a double finger guard. He now (years later) uses a fallkniven f1.

My first becker was the BK2, the beast! My only becker that gets real use now is my BK16.

The first knife I ever bought with paper route money was a mail-order, eagle-head, fixed-blade. What a piece of junk that was. Caveat Emptor!
<--- Then one day I bought my 9.

My first knife was a cheap hollow handle knife I purchased from the gas station. My first becker was a camillus version bk7. Still one of my favorites.

First “Blade” was on a stick - a Plumb hatchet....Five?six?seven? ...... Nthing was safe...NOTHING.... First Becker - A Machax.....E
haha! Too cool! My sister and I got small tomahawks when we were in elementary school and she's younger. Her bookshelf suddenly had big chunks missing from it that summer.... mum was NOT happy haha!

I love how some of y'all still have your first knife still! I wish I had mine, but it's all good.

Kids just like knives always KEEP EM SHARP
Congrats on da youngin
1st Knife 1972 Buck 112
late Bloomer
First Becker Compliments of Joe
Ethans 1st for Ka-Bar
14 Proto

RdmdCiz.jpg

1st Becker

avHClGi.jpg

Brass spacer or stainless on that micarta 112 nuto

An original brand rat 3...not Ontario ...#51 in the 2009 swat branded logos...stolen out of my emergency kit in my 4x4 2 years ago....sucks so bad.....

Stag handled solingen barlow when I was 7....close to 3 Inch blade

Was stolen when my younger brother had a party when I was 18.....with all the other knives I owned....30 years later and I still feel like smacking him around again for it!!!

Remind him you owe him a smack for that!

And he owes you a new one!

If not tell him a *Insert what you want* here will do. :D

Last edited:
The first knife I remember was an Old Timer stockman. I was 8 years old. My mother gave it to me for my birthday. Written on the box was , knives like grandad's , or something like that. The next time I saw my grandad I had to check his knife. I was heart broken, he had a case trapper.

Back