Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Those 3 BBs look great Tom :thumbsup: I keep thinking about looking for one whenever they get posted but then the mind wanders :( What's the scales material?

While I haven't ritualized the unwrapping process, I wait until I have enough time to really look the knife over. (I'm like that at Xmas and my birthday, drives my family nuts.)

Here's my newest, from the exchange. I'd not head of Phil Tham, and there's not much about him to be found. But, I'd been looking for a small fixed blade, and this little number fits the bill. It is very nicely executed, and came with a well made leather horizontal belt sheath. I found that the short lanyard is great for getting it started out of the sheath by wrapping my pinkie around it, pulling and grasping as it exits. I'd appreciate any info you all might have about Phil.
View attachment 837228 View attachment 837229
View attachment 837230

Nice FB Tom! While I am far from an expert, it is definitely some kind of bone, I believe I read cattle bone somewhere. Some of the scales are black, but others appear to be very dark brown with hints of other colors. All very well matched too.

IMG_20180127_205232.jpg

It might not be the most traditional looking knife, but I think it counts (Lockback, no clip, no OHO). I just got this little Gerber Air Ti, and I love it. I need to take a picture of this knife next to a peanut so that you can see how small it is, because it is tiny. I am really tickled with this little knife.
AirTi.jpg

Railsplitter Railsplitter Is that the show they have at the Gateway Center there at Collinsville? Used to see it listed on a billboard there when I was down to work at Rose Lake Yard. Only I wasn't there on the weekend to attend. Did enjoy GP a couple times after work then back to the motel.

Railsplitter Railsplitter Is that the show they have at the Gateway Center there at Collinsville? Used to see it listed on a billboard there when I was down to work at Rose Lake Yard. Only I wasn't there on the weekend to attend. Did enjoy GP a couple times after work then back to the motel.

This is a different show hosted by the Gateway Area Knife Club. It is held within the St. Louis city limits on Hampton Avenue at The Carpenters Hall. The members of the club seem like a good bunch of guys. I would join if I lived close enough to attend the monthly meetings.

Went to a local knife show today, picked up a custom and 3 Winchester Black Box knives.

Nice scores, Tom!

I just got back home from the show and took some quick pics of my knife show haul. I've wanted one of those cedar boxes the last two years I attended but never did pick one up. Had some funds left over so I finally got one.
View attachment 837001
The Schatt & Morgan #43 Jumbo Half Whittler is something I've been wanting too but I was kind of leery of an online purchase and I just missed one in The Exchange a couple months ago. I got to inspect this one and it's a pretty good example so I snatched it up. Red Elk and 420HC blades. I really like it. Feels absolutely fantastic in the hand. Wicked good snap, no play, pinned shield, and I can pinch the Wharncliffe blade open. I'll have to see if I can live with it for pocket carry as the Elk slabs are somewhat thick.
View attachment 837004
View attachment 837005
View attachment 837006
View attachment 837007
I ran into Mike Alsdorf at the show and didn't have enough funds to pick up one of his knives so I bought this Alsdorf pendant for my wife instead. I think Mike said the inlays are Azurite.
View attachment 837012
View attachment 837013
I stopped by Grand Prairie Knives on the way home but walked out empty handed. It was fun browsing though.

Well, I complete the triumvirate. I joined Tom and Rick at the knife show this morning and these are the two I came home with. The first is a Case red bone 6392 from 1976. Apart from a blade rub between the spey and sheepfoot, it's mint.

eUQQGZp.jpg

The second knife is a club knife from the Gateway Area Knife Club, whose show we attended. It's a Solingen made Rigid branded sowbelly with fantastic, matched popcorn stag. It does have a lot of etches on the blades (the sheepfoot has the St. Louis skyline with the Arch), but oooohh that stag!

jicNmqo.jpg

CjNTLGH.jpg

Super pick-up's guys!! I was there as well. I got to say HI to Rick but, missed the chance to meet the rest of you all. We need to set up a meet up of sorts next year. Here was my haul. A GEC made Bradford Cutlery Slip Knot #36 and a Dowell Eureka Jack. I managed to spend almost every penny I had on me but, I am very happy with the results:

pQ1Vcxg.jpg

Z7VY4Fe.jpg

Super pick-up's guys!! I was there as well. I got to say HI to Rick but, missed the chance to meet the rest of you all. We need to set up a meet up of sorts next year. Here was my haul. A GEC made Bradford Cutlery Slip Knot #36 and a Dowell Eureka Jack. I managed to spend almost every penny I had on me but, I am very happy with the results:

pQ1Vcxg.jpg

Z7VY4Fe.jpg
Nice scores, Scott! It was a pleasure running into you at the show. I saw that Dowell at one of the tables along the north wall. I didn't handle it but it definitely caught my eye. Glad you were the one that got it.

Nice scores, Scott! It was a pleasure running into you at the show. I saw that Dowell at one of the tables along the north wall. I didn't handle it but it definitely caught my eye. Glad you were the one that got it.
Thanks Rick. It took me 3 trips back to that table before I finally had the strength to pull the trigger on that one. As you saw, I had my daughters with me (11 and 7 years old) and they were sure getting tired of going back to look at the same stuff. All they wanted to do after the first hour or so was to head out to the Science Center just down the road. Everyone wound up having a great day when everything was said and done.

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, Will, I can't wait! I have another one in Indian Paintbrush bone coming next week as well.

pQ1Vcxg.jpg

Z7VY4Fe.jpg

Very nice Scott, congrats!

I ended up buying one of the Winchesters also. There was plenty of stuff to check out in all different price ranges and styles. It would have been easy to get carried away.

Nice Dan, congrats!

There all beautiful knives :thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, much appreciated!

Re: your Camillus 14 (peanutsxx page 462) --- Hard to tell from your picture but looks like the handles could be Brownstag®. That's a synthetic they used between about 1956 and into the '60s when they switched over to Delrin®. I don't know if they went directly from Brownstag® to Indian Stag Delrin®. They may have made a few plain Delrin® in between. Anyway, the jigging looks quite a bit like Brownstag® to me which would put it in that 1956 to the mid-'60s era. Love, love, love the 14's but there's no future in collecting them because there's only about four varieties of them (maybe three), bone, Roughbrown® and Indian Stag®. As I said there may be a plain Delrin® in there. They're like potato chips. I have to maintain strict control to keep from buying every one I see. You can almost count on great snap on both blades. I have yet to see one with lazy blades or the snap wore out.

Last edited:
Back