Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

My Dad's new pocket carver yes he does plenty of carving!
uxnz1QN.jpg

Q0gDLyB.jpg

Congratulations to your father. Talentuous!

Dan.

You're right, really well made pattern and an excellent variety there.
Is it my eyes/the picture but are the Pocketcarver's bolsters bigger than the regular 62's?

Thanks, Will

Thank you! Also, uuuhhh...you know, I don't know! I only have a PC with me today, and my #62s are at home. I want to say the bolsters are the same size, but I'll check when I get home today though hopefully someone else who has more immediate access to their collection (and owns one of both knives!) can tell us more.

Edit: Yes, yes they are indeed larger than the standard #62. Just did a quick check when I ran home for lunch.

Last edited:
Thanks to my good friend Harry Old Engineer Old Engineer for recommending and alerting me to the sales thread I was able to get this old Loewen Messer by C. Lütters & Cie of Solingen. Harry and I both like bigger knives and this one falls in that category. The blade measures 3-3/16" and the overall length right at 7-5/16". I really don't know the age of this knife, but this one appears to have the factory edge and with little if any use. It has steel liners and bolsters along with a carbon blade. There is several spots of rust that has developed from improper storage over the years. The handles are really nice. I think they may be Cocobola or possibly Bubinga. I haven't done any thing yet except oil the joint. You definitely want to keep your fingers clear of this one when it closes.

49693239328_a419c6d4cc_o.jpg

49693239308_69f46651b8_o.jpg

49693782401_131e02f965_o.jpg

49694084732_4dde464964_o.jpg

Thanks to my good friend Harry Old Engineer Old Engineer for recommending and alerting me to the sales thread I was able to get this old Loewen Messer by C. Lütters & Cie of Solingen. Harry and I both like bigger knives and this one falls in that category. The blade measures 3-3/16" and the overall length right at 7-5/16". I really don't know the age of this knife, but this one appears to have the factory edge and with little if any use. It has steel liners and bolsters along with a carbon blade. There is several spots of rust that has developed from improper storage over the years. The handles are really nice. I think they may be Cocobola or possibly Bubinga. I haven't done any thing yet except oil the joint. You definitely want to keep your fingers clear of this one when it closes.

I am really glad you were able to steal that one my friend . Carry in good health .

Harry

OOOOHHHHH!:D:cool: Top-Knife for a Top-Man there Ron:thumbsup: Lots to admire on that one, love the Löwen Messer Lion tang/blade stamps:cool: great Rat-Tail and some sleek wood, likely Coco it being German. Very light peppering there really, you going to clean it off and then oil it? I likely would but opinions vary.

Regards, Will

OOOOHHHHH!:D:cool: Top-Knife for a Top-Man there Ron:thumbsup: Lots to admire on that one, love the Löwen Messer Lion tang/blade stamps:cool: great Rat-Tail and some sleek wood, likely Coco it being German. Very light peppering there really, you going to clean it off and then oil it? I likely would but opinions vary.

Regards, Will
Thanks Will! :) It’s a great old knife with lots of character. The wood is really nice! I’ll most likely keep rubbing with an oily cloth to see how it cleans up. I may use some 0000 steel wool with oil also. Definitely won’t be using any thing more abrasive than that. After all I bought it for the pocket not the safe! ;)

My big ol' Queen arrived today. Blade etch calls it a 3L... not sure what L stands for...:rolleyes: This monster is only maybe 1/4" shorter than my Buck 110 when open. This is a big handful of a knife, with Queen Tool Steel, which I'm pretty sure means D2. It certainly acted like D2 when I was trying to get the edge sorted out... trying is the operative word here. I'm still working on it.... I think you could field dress an elk with this thing....

jR0wOe.jpg
jR05Zx.jpg

jR0xck.jpg
My
My big ol' Queen arrived today. Blade etch calls it a 3L... not sure what L stands for...:rolleyes: This monster is only maybe 1/4" shorter than my Buck 110 when open. This is a big handful of a knife, with Queen Tool Steel, which I'm pretty sure means D2. It certainly acted like D2 when I was trying to get the edge sorted out... trying is the operative word here. I'm still working on it.... I think you could field dress an elk with this thing....

jR0wOe.jpg
jR05Zx.jpg

jR0xck.jpg
That is my favorite pattern. The Schatt and Morgan versions have ATS-34 blades and are called the “Mountain Man” pattern.

My

That is my favorite pattern. The Schatt and Morgan versions have ATS-34 blades and are called the “Mountain Man” pattern.
When I was researching this one, it was also called a Mountain Man... perhaps they shared the name, since it was the same basic knife. It is certainly a handful. I need to get a belt sheath for it, or just make one. It is definitely not a "pocket knife".

New to me Old Cross Farmer arrived today. I knew it had been banged up a little near the key ring but they never mentioned the tip of the awl was bent:thumbsdown: This made it difficult to close the awl and main blade and was also imparting some torque that was causing the cap lifter and can opener not to close smoothly. A little aggravating but that’s the risk in a used knife. I was able to gently get the tip of the awl straight again and that fixed a lot. It’s not like new but now I can open and close the tools without putting pressure on anything else. Either way, it’s still a good, solid Old Cross.

8-CEE0139-7-BB7-4600-BB01-224-E20277-DA0.jpg

This 3 3/4" 1st Generation Bulldog Stockman arrived in the mail this week. It was manufactured wholely in and assembled in Soligen Germany. The covers are Stag and the knife is fitted with nickel silver pins, bolsters, and shield. The shield is pinned. The liners are brass. The blades are hammer forged carbon steel.

vxlP8Nd.jpg

AS1fOnj.jpg

Dcze981.jpg

Something worth mentioning for those new to traditional knives - As was/is done by many cutlers, the Mark Side of this knife is the "Show Side" of the knife. As can be seen, the Mark Side stag of this knife is very nice. Well figured with a lot of popcorn and the shield is well inletted into the Stag. All of the etching is also on the Mark Side. The stag on the pile side, while nice, is not spectacular but is even side to side as to thickness..

Modoc ED Modoc ED That's some BOSS STAG there:cool: I never mind if Stag doesn't match, it's unlikely to but so long as both slabs are nice then I'm well pleased, looks a very fine knife indeed, lot of character :thumbsup:

Had a Schrade 881Y arrive today. A little staining on the main blade but I don’t think it’s hardly ever been used. I have a pristine 881Y already but picked this one up because of the advertising stamped on it. I had picked up a Schrade 8OT a couple years ago with the same logo and thought they’d make a good pair of users. The stamp, from a little research, is from a school for troubled youth.

F0141404-7717-4321-9991-9-A608019-C481.jpg

FBC1-C9-F9-C61-D-41-FB-B50-E-787-ADD1-ABA76.jpg

Back