Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Gosh and Golly Gee Willy Kerr's! What a surprise.
The mail girl (if that don't sound like a oxymoron ...) delivered what was expected tomorrow today. :)

(BTI)Old Timer 858OT:
The pulls at a "5", or a hair under, is a little lighter than my (BTI) Old Timer 858OTB. No visible gaps, the blades are well centered and don't rub.
At just only 4.5 inch closed, it is the perfect size for a EDC stockman. :) (IMHO)

(BTI) Old Timer 25OT two blade slipjoint folding hunter: ("classic" clip point and drop point blade combination)
Smooth pull on both blades of around a "5".
No noticeable gaps, blades are centered.
Arm hair shaving sharp out of the box, with even grinds.
Looks like a full flat grind on both.
Oh, the 25OT comes with a tan/light brown leather belt sheath. An good thing, since it is 5.5 inches closed and weighs about the same as a Buck 110. (not exactly what you would call "tiny" or "light weight". :) )
Over-all, I be a happy ugly old guy with the three knives that came in today. :D

The MAM and 858OT will most likely be part of my EDC starting tomorrow. :)

1971 Camillus 301 ( I know I know ) doesn’t look like much to someone that isn’t freaking obsessed with them...View attachment 1339255

But when you specialize ( I call it specialize my wife calls it obsessed) in a model/ pattern you learn where to look for wear and tear because you know how they age. This one was listed as good used condition but I had a feeling...and it paid off again. Blades unused, bolsters scratch free just tarnish, Well spotless and joints still sporting the factory oil. View attachment 1339258 View attachment 1339257View attachment 1339256View attachment 1339259
Great find! :thumbsup:

Canal Street from @glennbad GAW he hosted:thumbsup:

75732-CCF-1-BFF-41-BF-9-F93-64-BE2-F10-A280.jpg

I just received a new 2020 Case Sodbuster Jr. in Rough Black. This is not a review of the sodbuster, just my impressions of this individual piece.
First of all the rough black (also called "gum fuddy") has always been one of my favorites. Because the soddie is a barehead the jigging covers both sides completely. A nice even pull I'd say is about a 5-6 with no half stops. There are no gaps. The blade may be off center by a hair and that's what it is, hair popping sharp. I'd been considering a black jigged custom but this just saved me several hundred dollars.IMG_3226_copy_1024x775.jpg IMG_3218_copy_1024x674.jpg

I just received a new 2020 Case Sodbuster Jr. in Rough Black. This is not a review of the sodbuster, just my impressions of this individual piece.
First of all the rough black (also called "gum fuddy") has always been one of my favorites. Because the soddie is a barehead the jigging covers both sides completely. A nice even pull I'd say is about a 5-6 with no half stops. There are no gaps. The blade may be off center by a hair and that's what it is, hair popping sharp. I'd been considering a black jigged custom but this just saved me several hundred dollars.View attachment 1342478 View attachment 1342481

There's something immensely satisfying in getting a very well finished inexpensive production knife. It just feels right :cool: In contrast, not all Customs are all that satisfying despite the expense....;)

I just received this new Portuguese knife with hands in Ebony, made by Anselmo-Sendim, (this craftsman is only 23 years old).;):thumbsup:

Very handsome knife there José :thumbsup: Promising young artisan then:) Is it a knife with backspring or friction folder? Is the bolster a kind of locking collar Opinel style? Could you state the closed length please?

Regards, Will

There's something immensely satisfying in getting a very well finished inexpensive production knife. It just feels right :cool: In contrast, not all Customs are all that satisfying despite the expense....;)
Will, I think we are a little more forgiving based on how much we spend but as knife knuts we can be picky no matter the cost. Thankfully, I’ve been fortunate in my purchases. I have only had to return one knife due to blade play and that was quickly remedied. From my most inexpensive production knives to my most expensive customs and my collection of wire jacks I don’t ever recall having to junk any.

Very handsome knife there José :thumbsup: Promising young artisan then:) Is it a knife with backspring or friction folder? Is the bolster a kind of locking collar Opinel style? Could you state the closed length please?

Thank you very much Will. It is the first knife I buy from this young craftsman and I was very satisfied, I hope he continues to do new things.
As for the knife it has a friction folder, the bolster has no locking and the lengths are, when closed 10 cm (3.94 ") and the blade is 8 cm (3.15").

I kept reading posts about how sharp MAM knives are out of the box. They were right! I've been thinking about trying a single-blade sheepfoot knife, and when I ran across this one in my preferred size range (3” closed) and well under ten bucks I couldn’t resist. We’ll see how practical it is for my use. But it is sharp!!
D3u9gWy.jpg

Last edited:
Back