Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Landers Frary & Clark barehead jackknife came in Saturdays mail. OH
LF-C-Barehead-Jackknife.jpg

Just arrived today :D

1) Rough Rider RR1419 square bolster 4 inch closed Stoneworx Stockman.
Truth to tell, I'm a wee bit disappointed in this one. I thought it was the 4 1/4 inch closed Stoneworx stockman.
That's not the knife's fault though. I suppose I should have read the description closer.

The stones is not what I expected, either. Oh ... it has the Turquoise, Red Jasper, and genuine MOP on each side, but the cover at the bolster are genuine Black Lip Pearl! I was expecting some white rock at the ends, like the 4 1/4 inch version has.
No blade wiggle or wobble, no blade rub, excellent "4.5" to "5" pull on all the blades. As I've learned to expect from Rough Rider, all three blades are arm hair (and probably leg hair, should I ever try) shaving sharp, and have even grinds.
Fancy lines and coined(?) (I think that is the correct term) nickel silver bolster with brass liners. The back springs are both flush open and closed.

2) Rough Rider RR1837 Autry, Gene "Riders of the Silver Screen" 4 1/8 inch closed Moose.
There are a few differences between the Rough Rider and the old Camillus "Riders of the Silver Screen" moose, so the motherless thieving low life scum cannot pass a Rough Rider off as an original Camillus. (this holds true for all lf the Rough Riders in the series.
(a) The big ugly "R" deeply stamped or engraved on one mark side bolster.
(b) The spear point blade looks much closer to a Spey blade than to a spear point.
(c) The Rough Rider blades are 440a stainless steel, not 1095.
(d) Obviously the tang stamps are different. Both blades on the Rough Rider have the back to back "R" above "Knives" tang stamp.
(e) While the artwork on the mark side looks the same to me, the Rough Rider has clear acrylic covers; not the celluloid the Camillus made knives appear to have, based on the photos I've seen of them.
The artwork on the pile side of the Rough Rider is completely different, since there are no Dale Evans, and Little Beaver knives.
I don't know if the artwork on the mark side of the Red Ryder Rough Rider is the same as on the Camillus Red Ryder.

Rough Rider devotes just over half the artwork to a picture of Red Ryder, then there is a picture of Little Beaver under Red's.

The Rough Rider Riders of the Silver Screen all have half stops on both blades. I don't know if the Camillus made knifes have that feature.

My example of the Gene Autry,(RR1837) Roy Rogers, (RR1839) and Red Ryder (RR1836) knives are pretty descent.
Since they all have the same features and "faults" I'll give a combined review, rather than each knife separately.

All the blades have a pull of around "5". The backsprings are flush in all three positions.
There is no blade wiggle or wobble. There is a barely noticeable gap between the liners and springs; a sheet of TP or cigarette paper will not fit in the gaps. The gaps do not affect functionality, and I cannot feel them when holding the knife.
As expected, all the blades are arm hair shaving sharp out of the box.
Speaking of the boxes, they all have a magnetic closure, and a fitted foam pad for displaying the knife.

I have not decided which, if any, of these new Riders of the Silver Screen knives I'll carry. Most likely, I'll just display them and the Hopalong Cassidy (RR1838) on my desk

Last edited:
My Queen improved muskrat arrived today..... sweeeeet..... I really like this one. Red winterbottom bone, D2 steel... GEC quality construction. The secondary blade, wharncliffe is almost a lambfoot shape, and it is just about full length. This one is slightly thicker than my GEC possum skinner, but that one is a micarta, which run slimmer than a comparable jigged bone, in my experience. Did I mention I really like this knife? :D

jqA2H1.jpg
jqA8cc.jpg

jq8hEH.jpg
jqAWgK.jpg

I really like these single blade Barlows in spite of the spear blades, which they all seem to have, so far.

View attachment 1334217
View attachment 1334218

This one has pattern number 101009. Apparently the number 10 is used for both SparXX and Kirinite handle material.
The single blade clip blade on the Caribbean blue is pretty nice IMO, it's worth a look, I really like mine
kYZtuYe.jpg

My Queen improved muskrat arrived today..... sweeeeet..... I really like this one. Red winterbottom bone, D2 steel... GEC quality construction. The secondary blade, wharncliffe is almost a lambfoot shape, and it is just about full length. This one is slightly thicker than my GEC possum skinner, but that one is a micarta, which run slimmer than a comparable jigged bone, in my experience. Did I mention I really like this knife? :D

jqA2H1.jpg
jqA8cc.jpg

jq8hEH.jpg
jqAWgK.jpg

Very nice bone handles! I have that same knife in the Northwoods dress (faux tortoise shell) and like it a lot. It was a cheaper (but quality) alternative to finding a Case Hawbaker Muskrat. OH

Very nice bone handles! I have that same knife in the Northwoods dress (faux tortoise shell) and like it a lot. It was a cheaper (but quality) alternative to finding a Case Hawbaker Muskrat. OH
I agree... I looked around for a Hawbaker, but they are very difficult to find. And when you DO find one.... :eek:
Someone has done a rebuild of a Case muskrat, and swaps the secondary for a wharncliffe... I think it's called a "Ratcliffe". I'd really like to have one of those, as well...

I agree... I looked around for a Hawbaker, but they are very difficult to find. And when you DO find one.... :eek:
Someone has done a rebuild of a Case muskrat, and swaps the secondary for a wharncliffe... I think it's called a "Ratcliffe". I'd really like to have one of those, as well...

That’s Lansky, he posts here some and a lot at AAPK - he takes the Case Muskrat and reshapes one of the Muskrat blades into a Wharncliffe (not a blade swap, simply a very professional reshaping). OH

I really like these single blade Barlows in spite of the spear blades, which they all seem to have, so far.

View attachment 1334217
View attachment 1334218

This one has pattern number 101009. Apparently the number 10 is used for both SparXX and Kirinite handle material.

In spite of???:eek: Spear is THE blade for Barlows, single or Jacks. Those scales though....rather more eyewatering ;):D

In spite of???:eek: Spear is THE blade for Barlows, single or Jacks. Those scales though....rather more eyewatering ;):D
My remark was a nod to those who strongly prefer clip blades. Actually I like both spears and clips and often don't even notice which type I'm using.
It's hard to capture the luster of the scales in a photograph, especially in dim light. I may try again today.

I got these in the last few days.

Another 861 but it has the less common schrade walden shield. Not used much and has a nice patina. As seems common with these it has nice snap and is just a good solid knife.

BA642A26-00F0-47A3-A19E-E2A0F4FE43E0.jpeg
F0C9D4DA-F655-4CCB-BBCD-D8A39E2F6D95.jpeg

I also picked up for a bargain this unused 834 that’s clean as a whistle.

4BB4B710-B5C0-47DB-A048-DC87955DB5AD.jpeg
07963BF6-CC45-4A39-A9FD-E0D3F6E8F075.jpeg

Back