Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

Great personality, funny, entertaining, and knowledgeable. My only gripe, I suspect he is obsessive compulsive, or ADHD, or something similar. That can wear on one if you let it. He struggles to hold a knife steady for more than a half second in his reviews, and that is annoying. He needs to take his chill pills. I suspect his wife is very patient. At least I hope so. Overall, I like his videos and reviews. He is the Click and Clack of the knife world.

To this day I still laugh out loud when I recall his review of the Buck slim select. He tried so hard to not insult the knife, but, well what can he say? I liked the humor so much I bought a 112 slim select that week, and still use it as one of my primary work knives. Great stuff...

Nick’s voice always reminds me of that Dave Chappelle stand-up bit where the cops pull him over and he starts to talk like gangsters in the old black and white movies:

THIS IS HOW I TALK YOU SEE WAAAH!

All's good, and thanks for the kind words here. I'm just scaling back the channel because my life is crazy busy, and something's gotta give (and I'd rather that not be me!). Plus, there are so many amazing up-and-coming content creators in the knife space now that I'm happy to back off and give them more space for the algorithm to let them shine.

As @Frailer said, pulling the Hinderer videos was just a precaution. When a maker gets angry and lawyery in response to public criticism of any sort (rather than calmly addressing it one-on-one), it's a red flag, and even though I don't think Hinderer knows or cares who I am (and I generally liked his stuff), I'd just as soon steer clear of drama.
Wow I can't believe this got a response from Nick, pretty cool.

That makes sense. It is sad that all your work was lost however. I especially thought your reviews on the Half Track, XM-18 3inch, and XM-18 Non Flipper knives were quite good.

I don't understand the hate toward Nick or other YT reviewers. They are all doing the best they can, and they aren't getting rich doing it.
I appreciate their efforts.
Well, I appreciate you’re point. I definitely agree that NickShabazz NickShabazz is in it for the love of knives and for those of us who feel the same way.

I’m not entirely certain that applies to everyone with an EDC channel, but Nick is one of the good guys.

If he stops sharing his time with us Knife Knuts, it will be a dark day.

I consider what he does to be first impressions instead of reviews and I am okay with that, he has some interesting opinions, I like his ideas on diminishing returns and such, but imo has too low a bar when calling a knife "murdery".

I like his reviews but personally I am more interested in reviews that are about actually using the knife and how it performs. But those are rarer.

Same. I typically could not care less about someone elses opinions of a knife that they haven't really used.

I just started collecting over the summer and joined this wonderful community last month. In the beginning, YT was my only source for knife reviews. The closest knife store is 2 hours away, so handling a knife before buying is a challenge. I've watched most of the channels listed before, but do prefer Nick because he does more than just complain about T6 screws. Often times it's the bad and ugly that is the tipping point on whether or not I buy something. He also wears the same glove size and that's a beautiful thing.

He wears a small/medium and mentioned it in one of his reviews. So when he holds a knife, I know roughly how it'll fit in my hands because I have the same glove size. MC and DCA from Knifecenter wears xl and when they handle a 3.5" blade it looks small, but in my hands that pushes the upper limits of what I like to EDC.

chanvic chanvic I'm guessing that means Knife Center does some kind of videos. Are they reviews, or just featuring various knives?

chanvic chanvic I'm guessing that means Knife Center does some kind of videos. Are they reviews, or just featuring various knives?
They have a bunch. Every Wednesday, I think, they do what's new on their shelves since availability is an issue. I don't know if you'll get a good review because they're trying to sell what's in stock. So there might be some bias towards what they can sell. But DCA's (David C. Anderson) presentation skills are top notch. He also does a KniFAQ segment where he answers post from subscribers.

They have a bunch. Every Wednesday, I think, they do what's new on their shelves since availability is an issue. I don't know if you'll get a good review because they're trying to sell what's in stock. So there might be some bias towards what they can sell. But DCA's (David C. Anderson) presentation skills are top notch. He also does a KniFAQ segment where he answers post from subscribers.
This is from last Wednesday, 11/3

Knife retailer videos are more of an over-view rather than a review, and sometimes that’s a good thing. I check out the KC channel because there are so many new knives coming out every week, I might miss one that needs me.;)

It gets a little problematic when the in-house reviewer gets “celebrity” status and starts designing knives, like Swaggs or Ben P. Then it gets hard to expect them to offer neutral views when discussing knives that could impact the sales volume of their own designs.

Reactions: _cl
I don't understand the hate toward Nick or other YT reviewers. They are all doing the best they can, and they aren't getting rich doing it.
I appreciate their efforts.
To me, most of them are annoying and pad their videos so they are 3 to 5x longer than necessary. No offense to Nick, but he has a voice that makes me want to stab my eardrums

Last edited:
Back