Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

I like his reviews, he is a big part of the knife scene, wether you like him or not, his podcast with everyday commentary is entertaining and informative, just ordered two Skiff knives after first hearing from them and then doing my research

I think he tries to be as fair & respectful as possible. I appreciate his take as “a scientist” and I do find him humorous at times. Overall I enjoy his videos but they do not necessarily influence my knife purchases.

P.S. his voice is the majority of his success

I like watching his reviews and disassembly videos
o.png

I've been generally watching Nick less lately. I can take a look at a knife on his table and know exactly what he's going to say; I'm rarely surprised. I also feel like his reviews are more influenced by his personal preferences/biases, most of which work well for me but may not serve well for many knife users. I greatly enjoy his nerd cred with periodic references to DnD, Star Trek and Star Wars. I appreciate his honesty and integrity. I think Nick's channel needs a shot in the arm, but I'm not sure what that should be. As the owner of one modest wristwatch and a couple nice pens, I need to be careful that Nick doesn't become a gateway drug to more dysfunction! :p

Lately, I've been watching Slicey Dicey with my knife video time. I find his reviews to be informative, entertaining and amusing. I like his "battle to the death" format between two or more knives. I appreciate how he shows actual carry in a cut up pair of Wranglers.

There are a lot of good knife reviewers out there, and many clowns too. I still appreciate a well written review like Tony at Everyday Commentary. Besides, I can't be watching some clown/lunatic rave about apocalypse knives on the YouTube while I'm supposed to be working.

Last edited:
I generally like his videos. Some of the things he reviews are out of my reach, but I appreciate that he also posts disassembly videos, even for the higher end stuff on his channel. I think that he conducts himself with integrity and is very transparent about his opinions, supporters, and processes. I find that we have similar opinions about many things, so generally I like the knives that he does. Definitely someone with whom I would enjoy sitting down and talking knives.

I used to watch mostly Nick’s videos, and then it was a lot of Franki and Bird than Gideon’s tactical and also blade hq and so on and so forth and now the circle is repeating and changing constantly.

I enjoy his videos. When I put the C.F. scales on my mini-bugout: they helped me get through the process. 👍

I like his reviews/disassembly vids. Nick Shabazz is probably one of the most influential members of the knife community on YouTube and he's helped teach a lot of people about knives. He gives it to you straight, including when he changes his opinion on something, and knows a lot about knives. He's not there to tell everyone how cool he is, has got a good sense of humour, and a bias towards smaller knives; so I take that into account. You're not going to see a ton of reviews of big survival or tactical knives, which is not a big deal because there are plenty of video reviewers out there who are into bigger knives.

When Nick talks ergonomics, I have to remember that he has smaller hands than I do, so on that one point I'm going to be making handle size purchase decisions more from what someone like David C Andersen from KnifeCenter says, because he has big mitts like me. David C Andersen is there to sell knives though, so when he says it's a bit small, but still usable, the handle is too small for me.

I blame Nick Shabazz for re-introducing me to the knife hobby. Fifty years ago I had an interest in knives and had a very small collection. Then LIFE happened and those few knives laid dormant until five years ago when, purely by chance, I happened upon a Shabazz YouTube video. I’ve learned (for me) an incredible amount of knowledge from Shabazz, others and this Forum over these past five years. And the hobby has held my interest through some extremely trying times. Many knives and many thousand dollars later I still never miss a Shabazz video and often wonder what would have become of me without Nick Shabazz and this hobby.

I could do without some of the repetitive catch phrase, but he does great overview videos which is all I'm really looking for most of the time when I stumble across his videos. I only ever watch knife reviews on youtube when I'm trying to get a better picture of a knife I'm interested in. Nick's editing, as well as his to the point review style, showing all the different angles and features makes this process a lot smoother. So much better than the videos of the guys who talk for 15 minutes while only opening the knife a couple times or just leaving it on the table.

Looks like it. I only see a few ZT collaborations left.
I just happened to be trying to find his old half track review, and felt like I was having a Mandela Effect moment... turns out he just deleted all his Hinderer stuff. Did he say any reason why he did? Maybe it has something to do with the whole TransparentKnives issue.

I just happened to be trying to find his old half track review, and felt like I was having a Mandela Effect moment... turns out he just deleted all his Hinderer stuff. Did he say any reason why he did? Maybe it has something to do with the whole TransparentKnives issue.
I can only speculate, but that's a possibility.

Let's ask the man himself.

NickShabazz NickShabazz

Back