YOWZA!!!! . . . . "Operation 2 Weeks" . . . Battle Grade Active Duty!!!!!

It's all good. Just saying, none of us should "harsh on someone else's buzz"

Correct. You want to be a purist, cool!..... You love INFI but appreciate the $ saving fact that you get Busse design in SR101, also cool! ( that's my position at the moment).

We've all been around knives and their steels long enough to know the importance of steel choices but also ...heat treatment.... That's 2 areas where Busse & kin rock! ....I just hope that Jerry keeps using INFI (not too worried ;) )

Once again, (don't ya love this!) both positions are :thumbup:!

P.s : I do enjoy both steels (Elmax too) immensely. I love the design of the ASH-1. SR101 is allowing me to have a knife that I've been waiting for a long time. I'm hoping Jerry does come up with a Thin INFI ASH-1...my wallet will hate me;).... In the mean time the BG ASH-1 will do me fine....

Last edited:
As soon as Jerry posts new production models, everyone will be too busy "holy moley, ,I gotta get one !" To remember this thread...

Didn't jerry use other steels before "finding" infi?

ATS34, D2, A2, 5160, and developed Modified INFI for a "price point" INFI.

I've never used one of my 5160 Busses so can't comment on the heat treat, same with D2 and ATS34.

A2 rocks, and my MINFI slices great and holds up very well.

I'm all for other steels, SR101 is a great steel but rusts too easy for my liking.

I'd love a true throw back in some older steels

Wondering if this is true or not about SR101.

I've plunged my R3 in vinegar (left it there a couple of hours). It does stain, a lot, but I'm wondering if it helps to protect the knife from rusting.

I've plunged my R3 in vinegar (left it there a couple of hours). It does stain, a lot, but I'm wondering if it helps to protect the knife from rusting.
I suspect it does. But I like the boss's rust-removal method the best . . . just beat it off! :D

SR101 is a great steel but rusts too easy for my liking.

Yep . . . it's a REALLY great steel if the only negative thing that can be said about it is that it may rust if you don't maintain it properly. Now throw in the price delta between SR101 and INFI and I'll take SR101 even if I have to pay a little more attention to it (or not if, like Jeff Randall, a little rust doesn't bother me).

Last edited:
Didn't jerry use other steels before "finding" infi? They still use elmax pretty often too, don't they? You know, he is running a business. I have heard numerous people tell me they could not justify the price but would love to have "X" design. Why shouldn't they build them in more "affordable" steels?

You don't have to buy them, and I am sure there will be plenty of infi offerings along shortly for you to peruse. Don't piss and moan because someone else gets to play too.

I like infi, AND sr-101, AND sr-77, AND elmax, AND any other steels the shop chooses to use, I am shopping BRAND, not turning my nose up at some of it.

:hypnotysed:

It's all good. Just saying, none of us should "harsh on someone else's buzz"

:rolleyes:

So many people get caught up on the SR101 rust issue but if you perform the bare minimum maintenance of wiping a little oil on the blade after use, you won't have to worry about it! Where people go wrong is food prep and forgetting/neglecting to wipe down the blade. The acidity of fruit, vegetables, and some food additives can cause even INFI to decarb :foot: Personally, I like the little extra care that SR101 demands. If you are good to your knife, your knife will be good to you!

Yes. My taliwhacker LE has a nice BBQ/taco sauce patina. No rust issues since it took hold. I leave it derrrty after food prep until I'm done eating at the longest, then a nice hot soapy cleaning, and back in the knifeblock she goes. I'm an sr101 fan. And an INFI fan. And a fan fan.

ATS34, D2, A2, 5160, and developed Modified INFI for a "price point" INFI.

I've never used one of my 5160 Busses so can't comment on the heat treat, same with D2 and ATS34.

A2 rocks, and my MINFI slices great and holds up very well.

I'm all for other steels, SR101 is a great steel but rusts too easy for my liking.

I'd love a true throw back in some older steels

Just checked some of my blades and lets see what I got and can check from the list???

ATS34 - yup, original SH-1
D2 - yup, Field Grade
A2 - yup, SHBA
5160 - nope
M INFI - nope
INFI- yup, lots of stuff

Think maybe I need to find me an original Basic7 to satisfy my M INFI needs. ;-)

Yeah. My thoughts exactly, Matt. Should be real interesting, too. When it comes to heat-treating 1095, Rowen is no joke!

Last edited:
we all know about the SR101 "battle grade" series blades that are slowly becoming available, but does anyone know if Busse has any new INFI blades planned for the near future??

Back