Yvsa...my great friend and shining light...has walked West.

A friend no longer in pain, and the celebration of the life of an individual who made his mark in many ways.

Peace, Uncle. Hope to see you at a campfire in another place, someday.

Mike

Rest in peace , Yvsa.

My deepest condolences to his family.

In an extended conversation in 2005 about life and stuff...and dying, Yvsa shared some of his thoughts with me. Here's an abbreviated segment:

When I was sorting out my own feelings on death and dieing, when I thought I
didn't have much longer, I figured out that indeed we all die alone whether
surrounded by people or not. I think it may be the final test of a man's
mettle but I'm not for sure yet and may never be. Some things are beyond our
kin no matter how much thought we give them.
Another thing I figured out is that in order to die well a man has to have
lived well.
One can't do one without the other methinks.
All a man has in the end is what he believes in and methinks he had better
be sure of what he believes in and believe in it strongly as that's all he
has to support him when he walks West alone. No one can lead the way for
you; no one can hold your hand and walk you through it.
When I first figured it out it bothered me a great deal, but then I stopped
to think about all of my family that has died well and those that haven't.
Those that died well had a strong belief system and were absolutely sure of
an afterlife even if they weren't sure of what that afterlife may be.

It is my absolute conviction that Yvsa lived well.

:)

My condolences to his family.
I knew him briefly and own a older GRS that was sharpened by him. I have stropped the edge some, but through the years with what work I have used it for the thing that is amazing is how well that original grind has held up.
I need to put a Cherokee Rose on my short list.

Prayers.

My sincere condolences to family and friends. I did not know him as well as I would have liked, but benefited from his wisdom and designs as many others did.

My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Will send smoke and prayer for him, his family, and friends.
Deepest condolences on this loss.

May his memory last as long as the Khukri that bear his name. Peace to all.

a part of him lives on in all of us who knew him. i miss his jokes. he leaves the world a better place for his having been here. i hope i go where he is when i walk that path myself.

I've been on this forum for less than a year and I never knew Yvsa, but I've read some of his postings -- always thoughtful and informative -- I've seen the sense of beauty reflected in his designs, and I've read of the high regard and affection that people have for him. My sincere condolences to his family and all of his friends.

Thanks for an eloquent post Bill. I just checked my email tonight after two long workdays and saw the mail from Barb saying he passed yesterday afternoon. Of course I was working as always and missed it. I'm glad you let everyone know.

Last week he wrote and said that he had just been through a harrowing stay in the hospital, and had fought off an infection, but was back home and recovering. I had straightened out his Outlook address book and sent it to him, and he was going to try and import it. When I responded I had no idea it would be for the last time.

When he thanked me then I'm glad I told him that he had taught all of us far more than we ever taught him.

Rest in Peace Edutsi

Last edited:
Oh no! That is such sad news. I learned a lot from him and although I never met him I feel like I knew him. I had hoped that he had turned the corner. His last health update had been more promising than the past few before that. At least he isn't in pain anymore.

I'll miss you friend.

This was saddening news to wake up to. Yvsa was one of the folks who first fanned the flames of my love of khukris and HI in general. I can only imagine that as we speak, he's teaching Teddy Roosevelt and Davy Crockett about the virtues of the traditional Nepalese design.

Ysva,
You will be missed. The wisdom you shared with us so freely will live on in us.
My condolences to Barb and the rest of his family.

A hui hou, my old friend, and thank you for all you have shared. We will miss you.

Ah I've managed to talk to this gentleman a while ago about this infamous model.
Indeed one great man. You will be missed, Yvsa.

The YCS remains my most wanted khuk.

Thanks for everything!
R.I.P

Last edited:
My ddepest condolences to Barb.
To a respected Elder, rest in peace.
His pain is no more.
Eric

Back