Zero Tolerance Current/Upcoming/Discontinued Models

I need to get the 0550BW and my set of all the 0550/0551 will be complete.

ZT 0550 is currently competing against the ZT 0801 and soon the upcoming 0562, 0562CF, 0620 and 0620CF. All with 3.5" blades.

I love my 551. I had it listed on ebay for a minute and had to pull it before someone bought it. I love it so much, I shell'd out the big bucks and bought my first XM-18 on the forum. Should be on the way soon. Cant wait to get it.

I have a good feeling the 550 may be done. It's a shame if it does get disco'd, cause its my favorite ZT so far. However the 562 may change that. I just got a 550BLK and love it. Next on my list is the 550BW.

I am not sure how I feel about the KVT Ball bearing system. my 551 is smooth as can be. I just don't see a need for it. seems like one more thing to go wrong. you get some dirt in there how will those bearing react, not to mention the PLASTIC housing. This has prevented me from buying a 562.

In another note, I found a ZT0750 and decided to buy it before they are only available in the Exchange.

Edited to add: The 0566BWCF came in and my girlfriend really likes it! So, that one may move over to her side. I'm sporting the 0560CBCF today.

Last edited:
I am not sure how I feel about the KVT Ball bearing system. my 551 is smooth as can be. I just don't see a need for it. seems like one more thing to go wrong. you get some dirt in there how will those bearing react, not to mention the PLASTIC housing. This has prevented me from buying a 562.

My 0550 is one of my smoothest moving folders as well. If I disengage the frame lock, the blade will swing freely. It's a great knife for sure.

A bit of dirt isn't an issue for the KVT. There's another member here that submerged his 0561 in a bucket of mud, silt, and sand, and it still worked fine. In my own experiences, dirt/dust/lint can accumulate in the pivot area (just like it would on any folding knife), which can make it not quite as smooth. It still opens, locks up, and closes just fine. You only really notice it if you are specifically trying to feel the difference. A quick wash in hot, soapy water clears all that right up.

The plastic housing just keeps the bearings from falling all over the place if you do disassemble the knife (think IKBS). It doesn't support any significant amount of force, and even if they were to wear down, the ball bearings themselves are what actually support the rotation of the blade.

A bit of dirt isn't an issue for the KVT. There's another member here that submerged his 0561 in a bucket of mud, silt, and sand, and it still worked fine. In my own experiences, dirt/dust/lint can accumulate in the pivot area (just like it would on any folding knife), which can make it not quite as smooth. It still opens, locks up, and closes just fine. You only really notice it if you are specifically trying to feel the difference. A quick wash in hot, soapy water clears all that right up.

In addition to washing, rinsing and drying the folder before you lube it get an air duster which forces air out and work it around any crevices including the pivot area. Once done lube it.

I've has this one for months. The CF is neither brown or black.

It is purple.

Deep Purple!

29a7f5e25bea21fa624120fbe7205870_zps868cb074.jpg

Hey RamZar, if there are 3 different generations of the 0550, which one does the 0550BW fall under?

Discontinuing the 0550 proves the adage "If it's really good, they'll stop making it".

thanks. since you own all of the 0550, would you reccommend getting the gen 3 also. My 0550BW is my first ZT and I've now fallen in love with the brand. I'm already looking forward to my next ZT, just cant make my mind up.

thanks. since you own all of the 0550, would you reccommend getting the gen 3 also. My 0550BW is my first ZT and I've now fallen in love with the brand. I'm already looking forward to my next ZT, just cant make my mind up.

The Gen 3 has an advantage if you use it a heck of a lot and the lock face wears off plus no sticky lock issue at all. However, it's sensitive to lock disengagement if your fingers are in the way. I think Gen 2 are just fine for most people.

Discontinuing the 0550 proves the adage "If it's really good, they'll stop making it".

Within the ZT line the 0550 has to compete with three other very capable ZTs all with about a 3.5" blade: 0801, 0562 & 0620. Tough competition! The 0550 is perhaps tougher but at what point is tough enough good enough.

Last edited:
Added 0350CFM390 to the Discontinued list since it's a Limited Edition.

Back