Zombie Apocalypse

I think that a 25" siru would be ideal. something balanced and fast but still capable of devastating chops. Or maybe even a 20" dui chirra with a d-guard handle. in fact, d-guard handles for everything.

^^^This. I often thought a 25" Siru would be just too unwieldly but having held one and now calling one my own, I don't think so any longer. The Kobra in the 25" length might have a slight advantage in speed and maneuverability but not much.

CRZ, isn't micarta considered as being a soft material compared to G10? I am considering to replace scales too on one of the kuks I got, but I had once gone through the process, and it turned out to be much lengthier than I thought. Would you recommend a dremmel tool for shaping micarta?

Thanks.

Thanks, for the info, H_Talon - you might just want to go ahead and take a swing at those scales yourself - a home-brewed set of micarta scales wouldn't be that hard to do, and would surely be less difficult on a knife like yours.

Just a thought.

I hate to say it but I'm one of those with no skills like that, tools and
me = blood and hospitals and stitches ... so a knife smith who can file, drill, and replace the grips
is the only choice for me. know any who will work on my field knife :)

thanks for the thought though :)

I have made and shaped my own micarta handles and it is some tough stuff to work with. I used a belt sander to shape and finish them. I also wore a respirator and had my vacuum attached to protect me from the dust.

CRZ, isn't micarta considered as being a soft material compared to G10? I am considering to replace scales too on one of the kuks I got, but I had once gone through the process, and it turned out to be much lengthier than I thought. Would you recommend a dremmel tool for shaping micarta?

Thanks.

So, I apologize if I came off sounding authoritative. I'm just a regular forum lurker. Basically, I've got a couple of HI blades - both more traditional with the hidden tang, and the wood on one and the horn on the other are both in excellent shape.

That said, I've often considered pulling the handle apart to try a micarta project, but even with Karda's super clear, very concise directions on how to do it, I've refrained from pulling the trigger.

But with an exposed tang, I'd give it a try. Check these instructions: http://www.britishblades.com/forums...e-grown-quot-micarta-quot-(picture-intensive)

Now, those are just for creating the material. The cutting, sanding process is going to be up to you, but the cool thing is that you'd end up with some very custom, unique work! Definitely a blade to call you own. :p

Of course, everything I've read says that as 'easy' as the process is in terms of the actual steps, it's a messy, dirty job to do. But the results look phenomenal, and most of the reviews of even home-brewed micarta are that the stuff takes a hell of a beating.

I hate to say it but I'm one of those with no skills like that, tools and
me = blood and hospitals and stitches ... so a knife smith who can file, drill, and replace the grips
is the only choice for me. know any who will work on my field knife :)

thanks for the thought though :)

I could be overstating my skills, too. But at some point I'm going to pick up a project farm knife and do this, and throw a kydex sheath on it with MOLLE straps. For some reason, a Chitlangi doesn't look right in that situation to me, but a Farm Knife looks like it would totally be at home in those duds. If/when I do it, I'll try to contain my enthusiasm enough to take pictures through the process and throw a how-to thread up.

Of course, the idea of avoiding the aggravation and finding a craftsman that's already well-versed in doing this stuff is not without some merit, and you'll end up with a better looking and probably longer lasting product. That said, every once in a while, I'll come across something that I feel the need to take a swing at - and this is one of them.

Contrary to what some people will think and will tell you, rehandling a hidden tang khukuri is much easier than an exposed tang.
There is less hassle getting the handle off and less fitting to be done getting the new one on.

I too have been looking for a good zombie blade from HI.

if you are going to get a zombie blade, you might wanna consider what http://www.thehaca.com/essays/nobest.htm has to say about modern use of large blade (a euopean martial arts organization).
To sumerize, they say that for modern use ..a sword like a striaght wakizashi would be best (its the shorter of the two swords that the samurai would carry). Its about 30''+ two handed grip sword.

HI has a tibeten sword that fits the bill perfectly http://www.himalayan-imports.com/sword.html. I will eventually own the Tibetan sword and the m43 kukri. Seems like the best zombie killing combo that HI has to offer (i also read that a sword and dagger combo is best for self defense with blades ..from first link).

Back