ZT 0223

ZT0223 - Tim Galyean design, DLC coated CPM 20CV steel and a nice Bowie blade.

First ZT I've been excited about for awhile. Now all we need is an availability date. :D

Meh . . . :confused:

Sorry, I've got 31 ZTs but this will NOT be #32. It's not "awful" but -- like the 0022 and 0460 -- it's just not something I would care to collect or carry, given all of the others that I have to choose from.

I own and am a big fan of the "vintage" Kershaw JYD 2.0 (1725BLK) & 2.2 (1725.CB) and Rake (1780CB), all designed by Galyean. I just don't think that the 0223 even comes close to those in terms of design/style and appeal and they are already 20 year old knives.

OBTW, at "only" 3.5" the knife is already "too short" for me. In a knife of this type, I'd expect it to be at least 4" in order to qualify to kick the ZT0200/0452 or a Spyderco Police/Military/Native Chief (or even the Resilience) out of my pocket. So, the 0223 fails in this respect for me too.

Last edited:
Am I seeing 5 little holes in the blade , near the pivot ? Is that so any filth and debris collected will then be carried on into the knife when you close it ? :confused:

Seems OK otherwise , kinda classic looking , but way pricey for me .

I love and hate it. It has the aesthetic of the mall-ninja sort of garbage knives I thought were cool when I was a teenager, but built with quality materials and QC.

It's the answer to the thought we've all had at some point when looking at a flashy-but-terribly-made knife: "I want that, but made better."

There are all kinds of problems immediately apparent in its design: The certainly pointless holes DocJD mentioned, the pointless and seemingly sharp square faux-sawback, the "tube spacer" in the handle (which I guess gives you the option to remove it and add a lanyard hole?), the visible gap between the brown G10 wrap and the frame, its awkward profile while closed because the top of the handle has an asymmetric cut into it that seemingly exists only to show you the holes drilled through the blade when the knife is open...

... But I also kinda love it, because I like clip points, and I love fullers (would have liked it more if the fuller was longer and didn't actually go all the way through the blade), and it looks badass, and I really dislike using the word badass.

It's like a big dumb action movie with a budget larger than the director knew what to do with... turned into a knife. This is an April Fools joke made real. It's ridiculous and stupid and I kinda want one.

Quoting myself here:
Did a littel photoshopped to see if I can improve it. Turned the cut-out into a fuller, changed the DLC into a lighter stonewash, filled it the idiotic holes and just added a little contrast to the grooves in the scales.

eCqazMd.jpg

Still not awesome, but I like it better.........buuuuuut I am biased. :D

That handle shape seems very much a Southern Grind rip-off. My Spider Monkey is cringing.

Despite the easy criticism that can be levied against this design, I maintain that this model is an art piece. It’s part satire, part nostalgia. It speaks to those who are nostalgic for the hyper-weaponized cheap folding knives they saw/had in the past, and also works as a response to those who opine that ZT has strayed away from overbuilt military folders by taking the design to the absolute nadir of aggression.

Yes. This is high art in knife form. That is my stance. It’s the physical embodiment of a prac-tac forum.

Last edited:
I'm not quite falling on the floor , laughing my freaking Asimov ...butt close ! Thanks guys . :p

Very much dislike this new model. The random holes near the ricasso, non-functional opening hole, tacky looking scales, and bearings make this one confusingly designed to me, and the general aesthetics are unappealing.

Wake me up when ZT goes back to making 0303 style knives.

Certainly a departure from what they have been doing lately. It appeals to me in that I have been looking at leather wrapped wwII military style fixed blades lately. Maybe this is a homage to the 75th anniversary of D-Day (which is today)

Last edited:
Certainly a departure from what they have been doing lately. It appeals to me in that I have been looking at leather wrapped wwII military style fixed blades lately. Maybe this is a homage to the 75th anniversary of D-Day.
Maybe, if they'd have played it straight without the "ironic " anti-functional elements . Could have been a nice useable homage ? But they had to go all Rambo ! o_O

I love and hate it. It has the aesthetic of the mall-ninja sort of garbage knives I thought were cool when I was a teenager, but built with quality materials and QC.

It's the answer to the thought we've all had at some point when looking at a flashy-but-terribly-made knife: "I want that, but made better."

There are all kinds of problems immediately apparent in its design: The certainly pointless holes DocJD mentioned, the pointless and seemingly sharp square faux-sawback, the "tube spacer" in the handle (which I guess gives you the option to remove it and add a lanyard hole?), the visible gap between the brown G10 wrap and the frame, its awkward profile while closed because the top of the handle has an asymmetric cut into it that seemingly exists only to show you the holes drilled through the blade when the knife is open...

... But I also kinda love it, because I like clip points, and I love fullers (would have liked it more if the fuller was longer and didn't actually go all the way through the blade), and it looks badass, and I really dislike using the word badass.

It's like a big dumb action movie with a budget larger than the director knew what to do with... turned into a knife. This is an April Fools joke made real. It's ridiculous and stupid and I kinda want one.
Oh, Lord YES ! You have SO exactly nailed it . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back