ZT kills off 4 models

I suppose good deal info should be in the exchange forums these days.

Deleted.

Last edited:
yep 0804 with the 80 buck or so price dropped becomes a good pick for me.

First off, the zt 0804cf is one of my most favorite ZT's.

my only gripe with mine is that the lockbar goes all the way to the end of the scale. this doesnt happen with every one, but its a common issue that happened to a lot of folks as mentioned by alot of folks on the forum. it doesnt really make any difference in use.

While im disappointing they discontinued the 0804cf, its really their own fault.

ZT needs to implement CQi like spyderco does. but to be fair, its life cycle was rather short.

customers showed lots of feedback wanting things to be changed in order for them to purchase. alot of them said it was the blade, most didnt want a DLC coated blade or the blade shape.

it was also priced too high for most, so compromising was a good idea to sell to those folks. making the scale g10 or even just ti/ti would have helped reduce costs possibly and setting a different price bracket to sell to those who could afford it.

i bought mine under MAP pricing which is about the price they are going for now after they were discontinued. its worth it. i say if you dont like the DLC blade, have it removed/modified or get a regrind.

is the ZT 0850 its replacement? i have some issues with that, that i hope they address (see my videos on ig, if your interested) but ZT doesnt seem like they care about issues or changes that people want.

If prices drop I'll have to get one. Agreed on the hard use direction. The 909 did not last long.

You should, if the opportunity presents itself. Having seen pics of some of your other keepers and various things you've listed on the exchange, I suspect that you'd probably like the 0909 as well. It is a bit on the heavy side though.

You should, if the opportunity presents itself. Having seen pics of some of your other keepers and various things you've listed on the exchange, I suspect that you'd probably like the 0909 as well. It is a bit on the heavy side though.
I've heard it is like a better flipping 200. I liked the two 200s I had, except the flipping.

What a bummer. I have both the 630 and 909. I wish I could have found a 900 locally. The 630 is a tough as nails tactical knife. When I can't carry a pistol, the 630 goes in my pocket. The 909 getting axed is just criminal. Great flipping, hard use folder that was robust enough I rarely used a fixed blade for light hiking chores.

Honestly, as much as I like it, I'm kinda surprised the 456 didn't get chopped. Lots of expensive materials in a heavy little package.

I agree with one of the posters above, in that the loss of the 0909 and 0630 further show a trend that many have been noticing with ZT lately. Discontinue of these two knives, and the 0550 awhile back, mark a big shift in their target demographic in my opinion. Gone may be the days of ZT knives being a go to for rock solid tools. Not to say that the other ZT models aren't solid, but I know I'm not the only one seeing a departure from pure function in their offerings. I for one, would love to see a 2018 release of a mid size ti framelock flipper on washers, with a simple design, and perhaps even the wave feature (perhaps another collab with Mr. Emerson could give us a ZT model of the Sheepdog flipper). Just my two cents.

The DLC killed the 804.

For me it is the screw holes on the locking side scale (and lack of sharpening choil)... The knife has great materials and a good design but then they screwed up at the finish line by doing this...

hoPiyiv.jpg

Instead of this on both sides...

Y4XiH00.jpg

It just smacks of either cost cutting (which seems ridiculous on a knife this expensive), or lack of forethought, or imagination... I'm not sure the reason why honestly, but it just bugs the piss out of me. Also not sure why they didn't make a filler tab...

However, love the 0900, 0909, and the 0630(CF), sad to see them go. I definitely echo the opinion that the models being discontinued (even the 0804CF) are much better than some (all) of the 2017 models.

Having spoke with ZT/KAI about the process; the only reason they discontinue models is because of weak or declining sales. It is not the company that is dictating the direction of the brand and offerings, rather the consumers voting with their wallets.

When ZT released the 0909, droves of people all over the internet talked about what a pure and functional design the knife was, "went back to their roots" ... yet it had the shortest life of any ZT in the last few years, because apparently no one bought it. Always interesting to see sales not line up with the group-think of the enthusiast community.

Back