ZT kills off 4 models

I've heard it is like a better flipping 200. I liked the two 200s I had, except the flipping.

I'm pretty new to flippers (the 0909 was my first flipper and I only have 3 now) and I've never had a 200, so I can't compare them. It isn't as quite smooth as my 0452 (but it sounds like not much out there is) and it has a much stiffer detent, which I like for what I use the 0909 for. Even when I've had the pivot far dirtier than most people's knives will ever get, it's opened and locked reliably. The only times it hasn't involved stuff getting in the pivot while I'm using it, then freezing on bitterly cold days.

I wouldn't necessarily call the flipping action refined. I'd call it solid and reliable. That actually matches the rest of the knife perfectly. Hope this helps.

Having spoke with ZT/KAI about the process; the only reason they discontinue models is because of weak or declining sales. It is not the company that is dictating the direction of the brand and offerings, rather the consumers voting with their wallets.

When ZT released the 0909, droves of people all over the internet talked about what a pure and functional design the knife was, "went back to their roots" ... yet it had the shortest life of any ZT in the last few years, because apparently no one bought it. Always interesting to see sales not line up with the group-think of the enthusiast community.

i bought a 0909. one of zts best knife designs for actual using and ergos. somehow most didnt like it. maybe the liner lock and size chased many away. who knows.....

I'm pretty new to flippers (the 0909 was my first flipper and I only have 3 now) and I've never had a 200, so I can't compare them. It isn't as quite smooth as my 0452 (but it sounds like not much out there is) and it has a much stiffer detent, which I like for what I use the 0909 for. Even when I've had the pivot far dirtier than most people's knives will ever get, it's opened and locked reliably. The only times it hasn't involved stuff getting in the pivot while I'm using it, then freezing on bitterly cold days.

I wouldn't necessarily call the flipping action refined. I'd call it solid and reliable. That actually matches the rest of the knife perfectly. Hope this helps.
The 452 is the best flipper I've had. Strong detent and somewhat light blade make it fly. The 200s I had were not good flippers. You had to wrist flick to consistently get a good flip. On one of them I even bent the lock bar in, it helped but not enough. They were on washers. I am seeing the prices drop to $150 for the 909 from several dealers. That is a great price. I'm in.

The 452 is the best flipper I've had. Strong detent and somewhat light blade make it fly. The 200s I had were not good flippers. You had to wrist flick to consistently get a good flip. On one of them I even bent the lock bar in, it helped but not enough. They were on washers. I am seeing the prices drop to $150 for the 909 from several dealers. That is a great price. I'm in.

I don't think you'll regret it. Even if you don't end up liking it, I suspect that in the not too distant future these will be pretty darned easy to rehome on the exchange.

I would guess that would be the only reason to disco any model.
Sal has said so many times.

Having spoke with ZT/KAI about the process; the only reason they discontinue models is because of weak or declining sales. It is not the company that is dictating the direction of the brand and offerings, rather the consumers voting with their wallets.

When ZT released the 0909, droves of people all over the internet talked about what a pure and functional design the knife was, "went back to their roots" ... yet it had the shortest life of any ZT in the last few years, because apparently no one bought it. Always interesting to see sales not line up with the group-think of the enthusiast community.

Very surprised here by the management of the product life cycle by ZT.

I understand the motivation of ZT but in term of schedule and choice of models I am not sure it contribute to the image of the brand

I hope they have taken this decision with some exciting new products to disclose soon for 2018

Kershawguy has 0804cf sale for $225 unless you guys want an even better price.

Even if I already have a custom 0630ORBLK the 0630CF version is still very tempting

The blade of the 0630 is just great and such a piece of steel made of m390 is an appeal to sin ;)

Wow does everyone want a zt 0804 over the 0630?? The 630 is the last grate unbelievably smooth knife they made! Little thick behind the edge but it'll still work ok for edc. And definitely as self defense if it was ever needed in that role it would do much matter then most.

yup, this is why i say they need to make changes. CQi. constant quality improvements. i mean they already do great quality and materials, but some things lack in certain areas, as mentioned throughout the thread.

Kershawguy has 0804cf sale for $225 unless you guys want an even better price.
he has the best shipping! tho one of the vendors on the forum mentioned $218

could probably go lower, but they need to make some profits.

Anyone knows where I can find a ZT 0630cf for sale with a discounted price? Thx.

yup, this is why i say they need to make changes. CQi. constant quality improvements. i mean they already do great quality and materials, but some things lack in certain areas, as mentioned throughout the thread.

What changes did you have in mind?

Well, ordered another 804. Guess i'll keep it on the back burner in case I ever need it in the future. I was thinking about this today but after I saw the price drop it was a no brainer for me. I even carried my 804 today to help influence my decision one way or the other. Guess i'll have to wait a bit longer for the other knife i'm currently craving.

The DLC killed the 804.
This.
Hey knife companies, not everyone likes DLC, just like not everyone likes to wear only black t-shirts every day, who would've thought hey? Idiotic decisions like this made by knife companies kill some of the best looking blade shapes on production knives. A stone wash model of this just like the Cold Steel recon series would look 10x better than black blades. Is it just me or do knife companies always manage to find a way to ruin 98% of every single nice drop point blade?

Quoted for truth.

Only so much room in Oregon so they have to cut slow sellers in order to introduce new products.

Hell, the 0350 refuses to die for some reason.

Production capacity is a real thing. Remember before the expansion when Spyderco made like 4 knives in the US (military, native, manix, pm2) for a ridiculously long time.

Not to be left out, I just ordered a new 0909 as a spare. Thanks, @whitty!

First time I've ever ordered a duplicate of a knife I already had. I figured if I'd ever break mine, I'll have the spare to use. Looking at this year's releases and this year's discontinuations makes me less than confident in the chances of getting something that would fit my needs as a warranty replacement from the future ZT. :(

Back